redundancy threat - civilian working for police

Options

Comments

• gazpacho_uk
    gazpacho_uk Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2010 at 3:02PM
    Options
    TIDDLYWINKS:I must say that you sound a little bitter and are directing that angst towards your uniformed colleagues which is not really going to help anyone”

Not bitter against anyone in uniform, but maybe the “system”. I accept that warranted officers cannot be made redundant as they are not classed as “employees” and are therefore not affected by employment law like civilians.
    My issue is that an officer who cannot perform his role due to illness, injury or other ailment (and yes, officers are on restricted duties for the very reasons I stated …. CHILDCARE ISSUES / WEIGHT ISSUES can be dispensed with. Police Regs say their contract can be terminated if they cannot perform the role they were employed to do(i.e A POLICE OFFICER), but the force will not be losing these officers, the force will be making civilian staff redundant and the roles with these officers along with able bodied officers.

THAMESVIEW: I believe that under the Police regs an officer who cannot perform his role can be dispensed with. At 15K a year below a police officer, I would be made redundant and in my place would be a police officer who cannot do his job because he is over weight. A police officer sat in an office doing administration work. Is that value for money ?

MR REDUNDANT: Thank you for your contribution. I think your line “The government do not like ill health retirement in the police as it is very expensive due to the pensions involved and so on therefore prefer to keep the people on restricted duties”. Says it all ………….. I have however never had any interest in joining a police force as an officer or even becoming an officer. I applied for a job that Iam qualified to do and it just happened to be successful in gaining employment with a police force !

AMANDADA: you know exactly where Iam coming from …. Thank you

WHITEHORSE: Yes, there are police officers whose services should be dispensed with.

Any officer injured on duty should be supported by the force, but an officer who doesn’t want to work nights or go out to protect people and fight crime because they have child care issues is wrong. As a civilian who works 24hr rotating shifts, I couldnt ask for a 8/3 Mon to Fri job because I cant get anyone to pick my kids up from school! AND I wouldnt want to. I know what the job involved when I took that position

On the other hand, like many other bodies funded from the puiblic purse, the police have have also been subject to empire building. Many 'civilian' jobs simply don't exist and never did. Axing surplus staff like that is not a problem. Indeed, it is the right thing to do. The problem is that the axe will probably fall on the wrong people.

I agree there is a lot of waste in the public sector and jobs/posts need to be trimmed, but there is a right way and a wrong way to resolve the issues faced. It is simply seen by many employees that it is not a fair system and the wrong people are going to be made redundant. There are currently police officers who are working as admin clerks, typists and even one as a janitor ….. all on 35K plus each.
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Actually Mr Redundancy, I am a highly skilled member of police staff. Seeing as you seem to be asking if I have proof, I have verbal proof, when discussing pregnancy with a manager, they turned around and said "I would take you on but for that".

I don't believe that is has anything to do with me not being a "stand out employee". Not many bosses will take on a pregnant employee, as they know they will sometimes be late (morning sickness), they will need to go on anti natal appointments) and then will be off for several months soon after when they go on maternity leave!
  • bexyboo1312
    bexyboo1312 Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2010 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Michelle, really surprised for you!! I work for the police and all our civilians who are registered disabled, pregnant or on maternity leave have their jobs protected....whether it be that actual role or one on a similar grade and I believed this was written in policy ...are you part of the union?
    Edit...
    Sorry to hear your bad news and really hope things somehow get better.
    Op, they can get rid of police officers via medically retiring them however I doubt this will happen. It also annoys me to see restricted officers, doing my post but on almost double the wage...because they have childcare issues! They might get pushed in to the back office cid roles, intelligence roles etc and those cops on to use streets...
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    Are other people being notified of redundancy at the same time, Michelle, or is it just you? They could be on dodgy ground if they appear to have singled you out for redundancy because of your pregnancy, or if they have notified you earlier than others so that you aren't entitled to SMP etc.

You might want to have a look at this leaflet on redundancy and your rights when pregnant.
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    I work for the police and all our civilians who are registered disabled, pregnant or on maternity leave have their jobs protected...
    Surely such a practice would amount to discrimination?
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • montrose5
    Options
    gazpacho-it used to be the case that officers would be 'medicaled' out but dear old Mr Blunkett put a stop to that (it's fair to say that some took the p### out of the system).They can't be given desk jobs as they were all civilianised so I've watched as jobs are invented for them and there are fewer left of us to cover the streets.Sadly I think you will be an easier target.
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of any such policy? The trouble is I am classed as 'surplus' to requirements as I am in the redeployment pool. So although I have a job it is only a temporary job. So far all the Met have done is pushed me off to a couple of other departments, and deemed the roles as job offers! They are not job offers as when I get there, they find out I am pregnant, and make it plain in no uncertain terms that I am not wanted!

If it wasn't pregnant I would be on a level playing field!

Yes I am a member of a union and I have a union rep accompanying me to a meeting in the next week with HR.

I think the whole thing stinks, I have paid for others maternity leave all this time, and now it's my turn it looks like I'm not going to get it!
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know exactly how many other people were told on the phone like I was, but I daresay they will be a few others.

I do get the impression that they want me gone at the first opportunity, like you say so they don't have to pay me any SMP either! The reason why I think this is because of the phone call that I received, and also because HR wanted to have a meeting the very week before Christmas! There is no way that I could have got a union rep to attend at such short notice, and my line manager could not attend it due to going away!

I was surprised to have been given such information in a telephone call to be honest, just before Christmas, and me a pregnant woman with two children on the way!

Thanks for the leaflet I will take a look xx
  • michelle1506
    Options
    I am not asking for anything extra Whitehorse, but surely you must understand that I am not on a level playing field?

Let me explain it like this..

Two people go for a job, one pregnant and the other not. Now who do YOU think is going to get the job? Extremely unlikely to be the pregnant one that's for sure!
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you for all of your support and useful advice. I have been looking at ACAS website and the contents around pregnancy and sex discrimination have proved to be extremely helpful!

If they do make me redundant, the 'no's' which I have received while in the process of securing alternative work, will certainly be a contributory factor, so I will be looking to take the matter further. Probably to a tribunal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure