redundancy threat - civilian working for police

Options

Comments

• michelle1506
    Options
    montrose5,

You have hit the nail on the head, unfairly yes Police Staff are a much easier target! This government sucks!! I hope this bunch of plonkers get kicked out asap! Have no idea where the hell they think that all of these replacement jobs, for all of the public servants they want to get of rid, will come from??? Might as well say goodbye to child friendly, flexible policies right now, as there is not so much of it in the private sector!
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Options
    Okay I can see this from a wider point of view - I am also Police staff , currently waiting till the 17th Jan to see if I am at risk. Iam now on Maternity leave . Michelle , they can make you redundent whilst pregnant if the position you are in is being disbanded. Sorry thats the situation , but you also need to make notes of who says what in interviews,l to cover your back.

OP, I work for the same force. However also work with officers who are restricted due to DDA, remember they are now all protected and those who fall under 19A may also be made redundent.

I know how easy it is to get bitter. I have have 6 years service and am extremly qualified for my role. However I have had time to reflect this . I am in a better position than michelle as I will get my SMP paid . But if I am placed into the redundency pool I could find myself looking for a new job with a 3 month old.

The ins and outs of this are , I am angry not bitter , not at my force , but at the Home Secetary who lay down and let everyone walk over her instead of fighting for an increase in her budget . I cant change this , so I am not worrying. I and you as well michelle have more important things to worry about. Get a contingency plan in place hunny . I have one it has put my mind at rest .

Good luck to all. xxxx
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for that. Yes I can be made redundant, but they would be well advised to properly just give me a role, as otherwise it could look bad for them in a tribunal. Your right, you are in a better position than me, as you are already on maternity leave, but they still need to be extra careful when making a pregnant employee redundant, to save themselves from a pregnancy or sexual discrimination claim.
  • dizzybuff
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for that. Yes I can be made redundant, but they would be well advised to properly just give me a role, as otherwise it could look bad for them in a tribunal. Your right, you are in a better position than me, as you are already on maternity leave, but they still need to be extra careful when making a pregnant employee redundant, to save themselves from a pregnancy or sexual discrimination claim.

They do but unfortunatly they have probably already looked into this as have the force I am working for . You need to establish exactly why you have recived your redundency . have they put it in writing , are they having a consultation period , how many people are they making redundent.

All these factors mean that there are proceedures to follow. Unfortunatly being pregnant does not make you immune from redundency , yes they have to be careful but I can guarentee you if they are wise enough they will have looked into this.

Again they have chosen to tell you before you are so far gone , therefore coving their backs from SMP . I can understand you being angry , you need to make notes and talk to the union and if needed get legal representation , as sometimes unison can be completely useless.
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
  • michelle1506
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for that. I expect I will find out more during the meeting this week. I have not yet been given anything in writing, but I expect it will follow at some point. Absolutely no one is immune from redundancy. I have already been looking into some law firms on the internet, and I have seen at least one that will offer you a free interview, and a case on a no win no fee basis. I will just have to wait and see what happens this week, before I take any further action. I have got a union rep coming with me, but I am aware that they are no lawyers unfortunately!
  • gazpacho_uk
    gazpacho_uk Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2011 at 2:01PM
    Options
    WhiteHorse wrote: »
    Surely such a practice would amount to discrimination?

I was injured in a custody office enviroment and redeployed. Even though I have a permenant injury, I am not protected like a police officer in the same position is !
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    montrose5 wrote: »
    gazpacho-it used to be the case that officers would be 'medicaled' out but dear old Mr Blunkett put a stop to that (it's fair to say that some took the p### out of the system).They can't be given desk jobs as they were all civilianised so I've watched as jobs are invented for them and there are fewer left of us to cover the streets.Sadly I think you will be an easier target.

Nail hit firmly on the head ! civilian staff are the easy target and many will lose jobs because of this. while the civilian roles will be filled by officers who are on restricted duties and fully able officers
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    OP, I work for the same force. However also work with officers who are restricted due to DDA, remember they are now all protected and those who fall under 19A may also be made redundent.

if only more officers fell within the 19A rule !

The ins and outs of this are , I am angry not bitter , not at my force , but at the Home Secetary who lay down and let everyone walk over her instead of fighting for an increase in her budget . I cant change this , so I am not worrying. I and you as well michelle have more important things to worry about. Get a contingency plan in place hunny . I have one it has put my mind at rest .

Good luck to all. xxxx[/QUOTE]

Yep, a contingency plan is what is needed in a situation like this. A plus point is that I might survive the first wave of redundancies, but wave two starts this month with a view to further redundancies in Sept and I wont get through that one so I have a few months to put plans into place and be positive about finding alternative employment
  • dizzybuff
    Options

if only more officers fell within the 19A rule !

Good luck to all. xxxx

Yep, a contingency plan is what is needed in a situation like this. A plus point is that I might survive the first wave of redundancies, but wave two starts this month with a view to further redundancies in Sept and I wont get through that one so I have a few months to put plans into place and be positive about finding alternative employment[/QUOTE]

Our branch is in the first wave , but we have been warned we will be fighting next year as well . If I survive the pooling I will be on mat leave till august , if not ill be looking for a job . If I go back in august im doing 3 months then im looking for a job . The force has upset too many hard working staff members and as a consequence will loose them to other sectors . Me being one of them :rotfl:
  • janetv
    janetv Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure how useful a suggestion this will be to you, but as police civilian staff you can join a trade union (as opposed to the somewhat different Federation that applies to officers) and I know that the recognised one for your force is UNISON, are you a member, and/or what is happening in regards to discussions between the union and employer about the situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure