PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has this bad weather taught you?

Options

Comments

• redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pssst, Cranky...want a cat??!

Mrs S - it gives you more time to get the look right with the hoodie and stand in front of the mirror saying "innit" and that finger clicking thing that I have never ever mastered!
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    dundeedoll wrote: »
    As above with hottie..............plus the cat has already wandered upstairs as soon as she saw me go up with it :rotfl:
    Sounds like you have a very clever cat! I bet the cat is a great "hot water bottle" too!:)

Pink … mega-ouch! That sounds really nasty! Really hope you’ll be ok soon. Take good care of yourself pet … preferably let others wait on you hand and foot. We would all do well to take your fall as a warning.

Oh (((((Mrs Stressed))))) … I hope you get a break from all the “lessons”.

We were forecast snow for last night/this morning and it hasn't materialised, not yet anyway. I've learned not to believe the weather forecast as the bad weather can hit when you're not expecting it ... so best be prepared at all times!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Pssst, Cranky...want a cat??!

Umm, no thanks. Can't cope with ours and a 6 year old as it is.

Pink that may take a fair while to get better. My bruised ligaments took a lot longer than I expected.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you feel better Pink xx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    I am currently very pleased that we followed our instincts this week....the weather forecast for the last week or so had indicated that we were going to get significant amounts of snow about now and whilst we're in the south west we're at the top of a hill where access is tricky.

I had a shopping delivery booked for Tuesday 21st and OH was due to collect his 90 year old mum from the Isle of Wight next Wednesday.

After a lot of hand wringing and discussion we brought everything forward, I did the shopping a couple of days ago and OH went and collected his mum this Wednesday. She's a big worrier, so we knew that if the weather came in she'd have been worrying loads about what was going to happen and what she was going to do for Christmas. We manage to get out yesterday to take her out and about and do the final shopping.

We're now sitting here snowed in! Our neighbours have abandoned their cars in the lane so it's effectively blocked and it looks like we're going nowhere for some time!

The freezers, fridges and cupboards are full, we've got loads of wine and beer (not very OS I know but it is Christmas!) and I don't care if we can't get out for a few days.

The only slight hitch is that we need more medication for the dog, so it might mean a hike to the main road and a bus if our lane is still a problem and the main roads are OK.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 December 2010 at 10:19PM
    Options
    Tonight's weather has taught me that I was right to go with my instincts and cancel next weeks Asda delivery. Instead, I also made my friend cancel hers for next week and dragged her round Asda on Thursday explaining that she needed to do her shopping then, not next week. We have a couple of inches of snow outside now, and she is also ill with a virus today. I would have looked a bit stupid if it hadn't snowed, but as it is, I bow to the combined wisdom of the MSE forums that made me believe in myself.

p.s. I am now officially either old or boring. I've been out to measure the snow.
  • katieclampet
    Options
    I am so pleased that I did my online christmas shopping a while ago. Last few pressies arrived safley about a week ago. :( for those people who have had deliveries cancelled.

katie:xmassign::xmastree:
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm glad I managed to get my main christmas pressie shopping done a while ago, just bits and pieces left really but nothing we can't live without.

I also always get my Dad a online supermarket shop, he lives a long way away so its a combined pressie and treat as I get him tons of goodies and alcohol. I ordered it at 1am this morning and had it delivered at 1pm today, he's happy, he got everything from the list to my surprise as I thought the supermarkets might run low of certain products. I daren't wait any longer than today for the delivery due to the snow. I can relax knowing he has food in for the following weeks.

There are turkey crowns in the freezer and the cupboards have stuff in. It hasn't yet snowed again here (East Yorkshire) but it is truly freezing.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had about 7 inches of snow on Thursday night / Friday and it's now freezing with more snow forecast over the whole weekend for us. We were having a quiet Christmas anyway this year - just OH and myself -and have a free-range chicken in the freezer to have on Christmas Day. We can't get out and I am so glad that we stocked up the freezer and cupboards in true MSE-style. OK a couple of presents won't get through to us before Christmas now - but it means OH will have some surprise presents to open in the new year :D

We have candles, our gas hob is gas-bottle fired and we have a portable gas heater for emergencies. The electric is still on, but we did loose it for half an hour on Wednesday evening. We are being very frugal with the oil central heating as they are now talking about long delays before we can get any more, it's almost doubled in price and the press are saying that it will probably end up being rationed. So it is on a low temperature to keep the house warm and a stock of hot-water, but we boost room temperature with a little ceramic electric heater. We have double-glazing so, if we keep the door shut, the living room can be kept warm for quite a while after being heated fro 20 minutes with the little electric heater. Of course in true MSE style we also have a blanket each to snuggle under as we watch TV. :D

The best thing I did earlier in the year was to get some of those lakeland green veggie bags that help keep the veggies for longer. They really do work and have saved us a fortune. We are currently renting our house and have our own fridge standing in the garage with a range of extra vegetables bagged up to keep us going over Christmas. After that and the freezers are exhausted we will move onto the stock of tinned peas and beans.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brilliant apple mint. I liked your post a lot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business