Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Vegetarian Christmas alternative? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
170 replies 51.6K views

Replies

• rockie4rockie4 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Carmen wrote: »
    That sounds really scrummy, Rockie, I will give it a try in the week :T any tips to keep it moist?
    Carmen

The filling is quite moist anyway, I never let the lentils get too dry before adding the other ingredients. I'm not a lover of gravy and I found the juices from the red cabbage were a nice addition!
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a veggie lasagne and all the veg, as I don't eat Quorn or fake meat, I can't stand the texture:o :o
    Off to look at the veggie website:D :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • My son had a fake stuffed veggie chicken style roast. but he wasn't too keen. He said it was tooo much like meat. So he had nut cutlets today whilst the rest of us had roast beef. I cooked it at the same time as the turkey yesterday. I think I will just give him nut cutlets for his xmas dinner nest year. Really he wanted macaroni cheese but I couldn't be bothered. I had enough to do with all the turkey etc. And he didn't want a ready made one.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • got-it-spend-itgot-it-spend-it Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a delicious home made lentil loaf- made Christmassy by the addition of a spoonful of cranberry sauce. It was delicious, and I had the leftovers today!
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a delicious home made lentil loaf- made Christmassy by the addition of a spoonful of cranberry sauce. It was delicious, and I had the leftovers today!
    That does sound gorg, i'll look for a recipe:D :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • suepsuep Forumite
    782 posts
    Glad you enjoyed it, kianicky, mine was yum too. Got to say - love your signature - quite why this idea that vegetarians eat fish is so persistant eludes me.

Soubrette's Xmas dinner sounded great too - must try that one.

Happy Xmas, everyone!

My MIL insists Im a vegan becuase I dont eat fish, I thought Id explained it to her a while ago but today her aunt asked me why Id gone vegan ! I give up. She also says shes a veggie but she eats fish and chicken :confused:

Anyway I had a lovely h/m nut roast for dinner yesterday

Hope you'll all had a good xmas
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • dharm999dharm999 Forumite
    384 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    We had mushroom wellington, a mix of chestnut and ordinary mushrooms, cashews and almonds with tarragon in puff pastry. Its a Cranks recipe that we have done for a few years now and very nice it is too! We had this with roast potatoes, brussels, carrots, broccoli, and home made onion gravy. We were so stuffed that we couldnt even eat our Xmas pudding!
  • sillyvixensillyvixen Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    i had a m&s nut roast yesterday and it was very nice - i would usually make my own - but due to having visitors on monday for a friends wedding i have spent my time and freezer space on cooking for them.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • suep wrote: »
    My MIL insists Im a vegan becuase I dont eat fish, I thought Id explained it to her a while ago but today her aunt asked me why Id gone vegan ! I give up. She also says shes a veggie but she eats fish and chicken :confused:

AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And double AGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from me!
    So long as people go around saying that they're vegetarian when they clearly are not, then confusion will reign. I'm just a very logical person and it makes no sense to say you're vegetarian/vegan when you don't actually eat a vegetarian/vegan diet. Why do they do it?!:confused:
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.