We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

goading ?

13

Comments

  • Driving under the speed limit is "perverting the course of justice". :-)
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,365
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I remember travelling along the M4 years ago in a 50 mph section at night with a Police Volvo trying to push me to go faster, I didnt speed up I knew it was a police car.
    He then left at a slip road and something told me dont go faster, the sneeky git come straight back on, he probably thought I would put my foot down once he pulled off, he passed me then and shot off.
  • Col7777
    Col7777 Posts: 194 Forumite
    I was on holiday once in Suffolk, I had been visiting an uncle who lives there, any way it had rained very heavily for a few days and I was travelling along this road with my wife and my mother when I was pulled by a policeman.
    I wondered what was wrong as I wasn't speeding and he asked me to get out of the car and walk to the front of my car, he pointed to a side light that wasn't lit, I gave a little kick and it came on, I said it was probably wet from all the rain we have had.
    He still booked me and said I had to produce my documents at the nearest police station when I got home.
    I did this and when I explained the the bobby at my home station he went mad, he cursed the Suffolk policeman saying he was a **** and he then went off to the back office.
    When he came back he said he had managed to phone the Suffolk police and also got hold of the the policeman that booked me, he told me he gave him a good rollicking plus it caused him a lot of paper work where a little warning would have done, he then said, "Forget the booking, I've sorted it for you."
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,757
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    fred7777 wrote: »
    Something similar has happened to me twice, first time I didn't know the car hanging on my bumper was a Police Car before they overtook. Second time I did and so was very careful not to go even 1mph over the limit, at which point they pulled me over for going too slowly!

    Since when was that a crime? Did you actually get done for anything?
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Since when was that a crime? Did you actually get done for anything?
    There are roads that have a minimum speed limit on them. They are normally motorways, tunnels or bridges.
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,937
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fred7777 wrote: »
    In answer to the original question what that would have got you is a speeding ticket.
    Call me cynical but when you run the Police using targets this is what you get. If a Police Officer hasn't met his targets towards the end of the month it's much easier to goad someone into speeding than go out an find real crime.
    Something similar has happened to me twice, first time I didn't know the car hanging on my bumper was a Police Car before they overtook. Second time I did and so was very careful not to go even 1mph over the limit, at which point they pulled me over for going too slowly!

    What's these targets ? are they commission based
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,937
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Col7777 wrote: »
    I was on holiday once in Suffolk, I had been visiting an uncle who lives there, any way it had rained very heavily for a few days and I was travelling along this road with my wife and my mother when I was pulled by a policeman.
    I wondered what was wrong as I wasn't speeding and he asked me to get out of the car and walk to the front of my car, he pointed to a side light that wasn't lit, I gave a little kick and it came on, I said it was probably wet from all the rain we have had.
    He still booked me and said I had to produce my documents at the nearest police station when I got home.
    I did this and when I explained the the bobby at my home station he went mad, he cursed the Suffolk policeman saying he was a **** and he then went off to the back office.
    When he came back he said he had managed to phone the Suffolk police and also got hold of the the policeman that booked me, he told me he gave him a good rollicking plus it caused him a lot of paper work where a little warning would have done, he then said, "Forget the booking, I've sorted it for you."

    So the written fixed penalty notice, he ripped up for you :rotfl:
  • Col7777
    Col7777 Posts: 194 Forumite
    So the written fixed penalty notice, he ripped up for you :rotfl:

    I never got one, all that happened in Suffolk was he took my name and address and told me to report to my nearest station when I got home.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    If i was the o'p i would have put my foot down hard...............on the brake.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    col7777 wrote: »
    i was on holiday once in suffolk, i had been visiting an uncle who lives there, any way it had rained very heavily for a few days and i was travelling along this road with my wife and my mother when i was pulled by a policeman.
    I wondered what was wrong as i wasn't speeding and he asked me to get out of the car and walk to the front of my car, he pointed to a side light that wasn't lit, i gave a little kick and it came on, i said it was probably wet from all the rain we have had.
    He still booked me and said i had to produce my documents at the nearest police station when i got home.
    I did this and when i explained the the bobby at my home station he went mad, he cursed the suffolk policeman saying he was a **** and he then went off to the back office.
    When he came back he said he had managed to phone the suffolk police and also got hold of the the policeman that booked me, he told me he gave him a good rollicking plus it caused him a lot of paper work where a little warning would have done, he then said, "forget the booking, i've sorted it for you."


    that's not a booking its a producer
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.