We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

goading ?

24

Comments

  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Goading does happen here a fair bit. Remember driving home after a day out, and a Scooby roared past us, in a race with another car, after starting a race at lights. A few miles up the road, the Scooby had been pulled in by the other car to be booked.....
  • Col7777
    Col7777 Posts: 194 Forumite
    I have few police bad driving stories.

    A lot don't indicate.

    I've posted on here about one I saw using a mobile phone when driving, (not his radio).

    I saw police car about to go out of a no entry after leaving MacDonalds, I pointed to the sign and I could tell he hadn't seen it, he wound his window down and said, "Sorry about that, I've just had an emergency call that is why I'm going this way," where it was I could see the road for a long way, he turned in the police station, may be it was an emergency I don't know but he didn't hurry to get there.

    Police cyclists riding on the pavement.

    Parked on double yellow lines outside the sandwich shop (regularly and coming out with a shipping order).

    I once pulled a police van, I very politely told him one of his rear lights wasn't working, I said, "I hope you don't mind but it would be embarrassing if you pulled someone for the same offence," he couldn't say much only thank me and said he would get it fixed when he got back to the station, they tell you you should check those things before you make a journey.

    Another good one was a police motorcyclist pulled three riders for no apparent reason, he said, "Going racing are we lads?" They said they weren't and were on their way home and were not speeding and asked why he pulled them. He strutted around their bikes looking for faults and/or no tax etc, then one of them said, "When we were on a job the other day you were very friendly and joked with us."
    The policeman was puzzled and said, "What job?" Then the guy said, "That fire at **** street, we were putting the fire out," the policeman said, "Are you firemen, why didn't you say, ah no problem lads, sorry to hold you up?" Then he went all friendly and started joking again. (This article was in a motorcycle magazine but it shows how they react to certain people).

    I have a few more but not traffic related.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,757
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I really don't like police on the most part. Im sure there are nice ones out there but everyone one I've encountered has been arrogant, rude, picky and criminals themselves. I really don't think it's right that one persons opinion is taken over another in a court of law, regardless of them being police or not.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Col7777 wrote: »
    I once pulled a police van, I very politely told him one of his rear lights wasn't working, I said, "I hope you don't mind but it would be embarrassing if you pulled someone for the same offence," he couldn't say much only thank me and said he would get it fixed when he got back to the station, they tell you you should check those things before you make a journey.
    Of course the bulb could have blown after leaving the station...Although I don't suppose light checks are always carried out anyway...:beer:
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    I'd be tempted to slam the brakes on !
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    If you react and start to race it can be classed as dangerous driving.I'm sure there's enough for them to be doing already without going around trying to provoke people.Do you drive a sporty car?


    it is labelled as a Sporting, but I have two Fiat Seicento's both silver - one is an SX - the other an Abarth - but same car apart from the front and back bumpers, and the alloys on the Abarth.
    It does look sportier than the SX though
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,937
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    exup wrote: »
    it is labelled as a Sporting, but I have two Fiat Seicento's both silver - one is an SX - the other an Abarth - but same car apart from the front and back bumpers, and the alloys on the Abarth.
    It does look sportier than the SX though

    Oh dear, that's your problem, I wouldn't have admitted to that :rotfl:
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Oh dear, that's your problem, I wouldn't have admitted to that :rotfl:

    :p
    nope I have no problem with admitting my car choice - I'm not a car snob, no matter how much I spend on a car they all get stuck in traffic jams anyway.
    are you a bit of a car snob HC ? :D
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • In answer to the original question what that would have got you is a speeding ticket.
    Call me cynical but when you run the Police using targets this is what you get. If a Police Officer hasn't met his targets towards the end of the month it's much easier to goad someone into speeding than go out an find real crime.
    Something similar has happened to me twice, first time I didn't know the car hanging on my bumper was a Police Car before they overtook. Second time I did and so was very careful not to go even 1mph over the limit, at which point they pulled me over for going too slowly!
  • Further to Col7777's story about the firemen bikers, a friend of mine used to work shifts as a manager at our local main Post Office. He rode a trail bike to and from work at some very unsocial hours. He didn't mind being regularly pulled over by police, nor their initial attitude, just the way this attitude always changed when he unzipped his leathers to reveal a 3-piece suit, shirt and tie underneath.

    Now, I know our police do a difficult job, but they do themselves no favours by acting like this. These days, anyone in any kind of customer service role is expected to get it right, first time, every time.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.