We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
goading ?
just reading a few other posts on here and remembered a short while ago while driving from ambulance station in Honley (near Homfirth) back home to Huddersfield.
Was at night, and very little traffic on the road, in fact I only recall passing maybe a couple of cars going the other way.
Travelling out of Honley before the next village, the speed limt increases to 40mph for about 1/2 mile then drops back down to 30, and as there are speed cameras around, plus the odd hedgerow worrying loons in cars around I was taking it easy as normal.
Halfway through the next village I check my mirror (back to the 40 limit) and see headlights cmoing round the corner, obviously at a much higher speed than me, and start to think to myself
"Oh great here we go"
Sure enough before I am out of the village, this vehicle has caught me up, and has now decided to drive up my back end, slightly out to the right as if to overtake, then drops back to about a second behind, then accelerates up to me again and sits on my tail, and so on.
Not taking the bait, I keep travelling on at the same speed, while the guy behind goes through the same sequence of acclerating towards me, then dropping back.
Finally as we approach the speed camera at Lockwood, (outskirts of Huddersfield) - Blue lights come on and I wonder what the hell is going on. Then the car overtakes me, Black volvo estate car and roars off around the next bend.
Think seeing that it was an unmarked cop car annoyed me more than knowing it was just a member of the public being a nob.
Speaking to a few friends and colleagues, they would have been tempted to have put their foot down - so what would this have got them ?
Was at night, and very little traffic on the road, in fact I only recall passing maybe a couple of cars going the other way.
Travelling out of Honley before the next village, the speed limt increases to 40mph for about 1/2 mile then drops back down to 30, and as there are speed cameras around, plus the odd hedgerow worrying loons in cars around I was taking it easy as normal.
Halfway through the next village I check my mirror (back to the 40 limit) and see headlights cmoing round the corner, obviously at a much higher speed than me, and start to think to myself
"Oh great here we go"
Sure enough before I am out of the village, this vehicle has caught me up, and has now decided to drive up my back end, slightly out to the right as if to overtake, then drops back to about a second behind, then accelerates up to me again and sits on my tail, and so on.
Not taking the bait, I keep travelling on at the same speed, while the guy behind goes through the same sequence of acclerating towards me, then dropping back.
Finally as we approach the speed camera at Lockwood, (outskirts of Huddersfield) - Blue lights come on and I wonder what the hell is going on. Then the car overtakes me, Black volvo estate car and roars off around the next bend.
Think seeing that it was an unmarked cop car annoyed me more than knowing it was just a member of the public being a nob.
Speaking to a few friends and colleagues, they would have been tempted to have put their foot down - so what would this have got them ?
Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
0
Comments
-
Unmarked car or some chav's with illegal blue lights fitted (for a laugh)?“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”
<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/0 -
If you react and start to race it can be classed as dangerous driving.I'm sure there's enough for them to be doing already without going around trying to provoke people.Do you drive a sporty car?0
-
This happened to me years ago I had what I thought was some nob head up my !!!! until the blue lights went on and I got pulled over for a 'chat'.Nothing to see here, move along.0
-
Potentially you could have been reported for dangerous driving, although I'd have argued that I felt intimidated by what appeared to be just another member of the public driving erratically behind me, almost to the extent that I was under duress (being an unmarked car and all!). The Traffic Officer's on-board VASCAR would evidence this, too, which he'd potentially have to use in court. (I'm asuming it was a Roads Policing car, given it was an unmarked black volvo estate)Speaking to a few friends and colleagues, they would have been tempted to have put their foot down - so what would this have got them ?
It would be different if the blue lights came on first, obviously.0 -
Strider590 wrote: »or some chav's with illegal blue lights fitted (for a laugh)?
Its not unheard off.0 -
i have had the police a couple of times glue themselves to the back bumper of my car (when i had my subaru sti) trying to get you to floor it so they can nick you, the last time they followed me for about 2 miles 12 inches of my bumper and then pulled me anyway ...
a few other friends have had the same thing as well
there harder to spot now as the lights are concealed much better ...0 -
I would only break the law in such circumstances if I felt my life or safety was in danger. It's far easier to pull over and let them pass.
Same goes for Police cars, ambulances and fire engines - I'm happy to make way for them but I won't break the law to let them through.0 -
As I've said before, even the previously bad drivers have been terrorised into obeying the speed limits. This is no bad thing, unless you are a "safety" camera partnership or police force and desperate to meet your targets.The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life.
0 -
That road was so much better pre-speed cameras, idiotic drivers often suffered instant karma, Its never wise to pick a fight with a mature tree or a dry stone walls. A guy I went to school with died on that road, I wonder if his parents regret buying him a new RS turbo for his 18th birthday.0
-
Potentially you could have been reported for dangerous driving, although I'd have argued that I felt intimidated by what appeared to be just another member of the public driving erratically behind me, almost to the extent that I was under duress (being an unmarked car and all!). The Traffic Officer's on-board VASCAR would evidence this, too, which he'd potentially have to use in court. (I'm asuming it was a Roads Policing car, given it was an unmarked black volvo estate)
It would be different if the blue lights came on first, obviously.
As the guilty party (you are a driver, after all), I wouldn't rely on the police evidence proving your innocence. Data is so fragile. And who is the magistrate going to believe?The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards