We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Old Style Daily Thread; Sunday 14 November
Comments
-
NPM, I am sorry I can offer no advice, but wanted to send you and Noah love and hugs, children can be so cruel, I think he sounds like a lovely little lad, and you are doing a great job xx0
-
((((NPM and Noah)))))
x* Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *
* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
0 -
Hi NPM,
Sorry to hear about your upset in your family. Got no advice really apart form having a right go at the school for telling not to tell you tales. And seeking some advice from you doctor or any charity / support worker that you may be in contact with.
All the best
Richard:jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j0 -
NPM - No advice but it breaks my heart to hear what Noah has to put up with. Are there any older boys on the spectrum in your area who you and Noah could be put in touch with, just so that he can understand he's certainly not alone in this. If he isn't happy to tap his leg would he be happy to click something instead? Sorry I don't have any experience in this so am grasping at straws. Give him a big squeeze from me and a hug for you too.
Had another meltdown off DS tonight, he's been unbearable because of having to leave my mum and dad's house after a visit. Feel like you, helpless in the face of it sometimes.I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife
Louise Brooks
All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars0 -
NPM, hugs for you both. DS1 has a dog clicker which he uses when he's stressed, he doesn't flap, but he had been clicking his joints, particularly his hands, quite forcibly when he was stressed, so the dog clicker is in his pocket (it has a keyring attachment) and he clicks it when he's worked up. I hope tomorrow is a bit brighter when it arrives.xxxIt's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi0 -
My first post. To Noah's mum.
My heart goes out to your little boy! I have an autistic son who is now 24.
When it came to schools I respected too much and challenged too little. I would not do so nowadays.
Talk to your son about his classmates and get him to describe them. Make him realise every single one of them is different. Make him realise how absurd it would be for him to say he didn't like someone because of the colour of their eyes or hair. Or because they were deaf. This is not so very different to singling someone out because of autism and he will realise they are wrong to do this.
I'm sure he took the teacher's words about telling tales literally and to heart, and I daresay there was a different interpretation put on what she said to what she intended to say. But of course it sounds sinister. You are perfectly entitled to voice your legitimate concerns with the school.
My son is currently doing a masters in physics and has held down a weekend job all the time he has been at university. He has been living away from home and has had research published. I would not have believed any of this possible when he was about eight years old.
I've often thought if I had my time again I should have home educated him and he would have been happier. But he has managed to achieve in spite of everything.
My son was referred to an education psychologist upon attending high school. She used to hold regular workshops for children with autism to discuss coping strategies for various situations. Maybe they have some of these in your area?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards