We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Daily Thread Friday 12 November 2010

135

Comments

  • Morning
    Just dropped DS off at school after another meltdown this morning:o It is now the end of the week and after hearing " I hate you, you are a horrible mum, I wish you would die. Bog off:eek:etc" every morning I am feeling immune to it and it hasnt made me cry like it did on Monday:o. He is always so sorry afterwards, infact he was crying about it so much on Mon at school they helped him to write me a letter saying sorry and how much he loves me etc......however he now thinks he can say and do what he wants and he can just write a letter afterwards and it all goes away.
    All his anxieties seem to come out as anger and of course because as a mum we have unconditional love I get the brunt of it( and OH). I have tried many anger books aimed at kids and nothing has sorted it so far.
    He says he is the loneliest boy in the school yard and he has great problems understanding friendship( making friends and being a friend) and just social communication at all....I know this is the autism but it is a difficult thing to try to help him with as he just doesnt "get it".
    He is going to his dads for the day tomorrow and OH and I will take a breather and prepare for battle again on Sun....we are both feeling a bit battered at the moment:o
    Plans for today are to clean through house and change beds etc which will take me all day and clean the cats tray and the nosebiter hamsters cage:rotfl:
    Bitsy hope the dog is better soon poor thing.
    Redruby great news that your dad is coming back to his own home. Sorry that "your dad" seems to be slipping away from you. It must be so difficult. Do be gentle with yourself love and remember to care for yourself whilst you are trying to look after your parents. A friend of mine in a similar situation found this book helpful.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alzheimers-Sourcebook-Caregivers-Practical-Sourcebooks/dp/0737301317/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1289554337&sr=8-4#noop

    well must get on and get the house sorted. Got nothing done yesterday as had a man here checking the electrics for over 3 hours:eek:....could not get on with anything as electricity was off, stuff all over in each room...no heating on either and was freezing....was not a happy bunny:cool:
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just a head's up Lidl White Bread Flour is 50p atm, and Plain & SR is 55p. So better than the 3 for 2 at Tesco. Be back soon. DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    donny-gal wrote: »
    Just a head's up Lidl White Bread Flour is 50p atm, and Plain & SR is 55p. So better than the 3 for 2 at Tesco. Be back soon. DG

    Plain & SR was 42p until a week or so ago. I was all :eek: when I saw it had gone up. I'm stocking up on the bread flour before that goes up too.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Weird really, prices do not always make sense.
    Plain & SR Tesco Value 52p, but their own is £1.15 for the same size, but Be-ro was £1.
    Tesco Brown Bread Flour is £1.29, but their own Stone Ground Wholemeal Bread Flour is only £1.09.
    So it could be worth stocking up on the normal flours as they are 3 for 2.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Morning all- hope all is well,& hugs to those with troubles,Bitsy & Boo& ds,NPM,Ruby ,and Sunnys younger dog to name a few.

    I didnt sleep well at all last night.We have a fair few very tall trees in the garden and the noise of the wind was incredible.I let the dog out last thing & it was scary-I felt sure something would crash down.Next door have one large branch down off an ash tree,which landed on an apple tree and broke some of that too-it usually falls on our drive,but the wind must have been blowing a different way.

    DH & DS were having a day off today,but got a call off someone whose back gates have blown in and smashed,so gone to have a look.

    We're off to Manchester tonight for a meal with 2 other couples,DH is going to NEC tomorrow for the Classic Car show,then I'm doing a car boot with a friend on Sunday so a busy weekend ahead.I'll have to look in the freezer for tea for the lads.

    Take care out.x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Morning All!

    Hope all the humans and animals that are feeling a bit under the weather feel better soon!

    went out with my friends last night to celebrate - kept it cheep and went to weatherspoons - only £4.90 for the house bottle of ros!, was good to have a catch up with them all, they are very excited with the prospect of organising a hen do! I suppose I had better start looking at dates, but I never even been to a wedding before so no idea where to start!

    I think the interview went okay last night - was over v. quick, but the poor guy wasn't told till i turned up that he was interviewing me, so think he was a bit shocked and there was only half hour before they shut up shop too.

    Had a quick telephone interview this morning so fingers crossed i get invited for interview next week, and have another face to face this afternoon at 3 - need to start prepping for it really.

    I'd like to spend tomorrow baking bread and attempting something that we can have as a replacement for crisps, so will go and pick up baking bits and bobs whilst i am in town today.

    I get to watch the dog today - he usually goes to work with OH in the week, so will take him for a walk too, although he's asleep next to me right now so might need to convince him he wants to go out!

    Hope you all have a good day!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Squirmy
    Squirmy Posts: 100 Forumite
    Morning All :wave:

    Not posted for a little while. Have had a lot going on and have hardly had the chance to breathe let alone post! Have had my uni assignment ongoing - that's due in on Tuesday so will hopefully get it finished this weekend. The next one's not due until January so can take a little break for a week or so before I start all over again! ;)

    OH and I are seeing a mortgage advisor tomorrow, well 2 actually, so we've been organising our finances properly the last few days, quite scary how much money can get spent on carp if you're not careful! Luckily we've been more careful the last couple of months, stilla shock though! :D

    We had a family funeral yesterday, it was my step-mums sister, only 37, so was a very sad affair, I managed to hold it together until the tribute to her and then I was a snivelling wreck, she was certainly a character! She went off in style though and the church was completely packed out, she would have been so proud!

    Back to a bit of normality today. I'm at work, chasing overdue payments so should be a relatively relaxed day. I need it! I'm starting to get a cold I think, have been sniffling and sneezing this morning so will dose up and hope it bypasses me! Relaxing night in order too hopefully, feet up and watch Harry Potter with a HM pizza (and maybe some wine!) I think! :p

    Have a good day all, and wrap up...it's bloomin' cold out there!
  • Squirmy - Sorry about your SM sister - 37 is no age at all :( Glad to see you all gave her a good send off though xx
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • That's really sad Squirmy, and scary - I am 37 myself - glad you gave her a fabulous send off though. Good luck with the mortgage advisor.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Afternoon peeps :wave:

    still blustery here but nowhere near as bad as it was earlier, i`ve just stopped for a quick cuppa and then i need to get on with things.

    After walking the houndies i cam home and looked at the hallway carpet. It was a sorry state and i was trying to hang on as we are having the hall and stairs plastered next year but enough is enough so i took it all up and binned it. It almost killed me moving a large very heavy chest of drawers but i managed it. I went to the nearest shopping centre for a cheap piece of temporary carpet, the guy took a while to find his sense of humour but got there is the end :D The conversation was something like this:-

    Me - " I want a piece of cheap and nasty carpet as a temporary solution"
    Him - " I can assure you that we don`t sell cheap and nasty carpets"
    Me - "I know that you do cos i`ve had one before" :rotfl:

    He saw the funny side and i got a piece of quite decent carpet for £20 :j When we eventually get new permanent ones it will go down in the shed so a good price and the hallway is now a lot better.

    Younger houndie still has a poorly tum and is in and out of the garden a lot, i`ve just bought two dozen eggs so will see what she`s like after eating them :D She`s had eleven eggs since last night :eek:

    Bramble - Good luck with your interview

    Bitsy - Hope that Boo is better this afternoon

    Redruby - Good to hear that Dad is coming home, he may improve once he`s in familiar surroundings. I have my fingers crossed.

    Right - kitchen is next on my list so i`d best get started.

    Have a good afternoon peeps.

    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.