We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Daily Thread Friday 12 November 2010

esmf73
esmf73 Posts: 1,793 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
edited 12 November 2010 at 6:14AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Friday 12th November 2010. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Morning everyone - I am glad it is just me who seems to be up at this hour of the morning. My youngest had a wet bed (happens about 4-5 times a week to one or other of them), then the noise of the wind kept me awake until I decided to brave the cold! It sounds truely awful out there (Yorkshire), think I'll have to go and check on things when it gets light. Hope we're not missing any tiles.

Yesterday we moved a bit of furniture around so that we have more space in the dining room - I was proud of myself as rather than resorting to a takeaway (very tired, long day etc) I did sausages & beans. Not exactly taxing, but didn't cost anything as we were using up the fridge. Tonight its fish & chips - fish on offer in Mr T and home made chips.

Boys have a friend coming for a sleepover on Saturday - he'll arrive about 11 - and won't be going home until the same sort of time on Sunday! The noise level will be through the roof - so I'm going to the hairdressers next door and leaving OH to cope! He seems able to ignore it a lot better than I can. Then its the youngests 5th birthday party on Sunday afternoon, so I've bits and pieces to shop for and a cake to bake (I need an extra 3 hrs in the day today please!).

Have a lady coming to look at a sideboard / coffee table that we no longer need today - hope she'll buy them both as I want them out of the way!! Need to get the youngest dog into dog training classes and need to sort out the garden so I can start to grow more veg in the spring. At the mo I have onions shooting up inbetween my shrubs - can't let the space go to waste!

Hope that you've all survived the weather - thank goodness this rain isn't snow - we'd be snowed in.
Me, OH, grown DS, (other DS left home) and Mum (coming up 80!). Considering foster parenting. Hints and tips on saving £ always well received. Xx

March 1st week £80 includes a new dog bed though £63 was food etc for the week.
«1345

Comments

  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Morning esmf73 & all who cross/follow :wave:

    the wind woke me too and i`m on my second cuppa, not bad for my day off *rolls eyes*

    Well i ended up in bed really late last night as i had lots of cleaning to do :mad: DH took the woofaloes fishing a while back and whilst they were camping out he fed them some tinned dog food that he bought along the way. I was fuming as he knows that they love it but the younger houndie can`t have anything with a high meat content as it doesn`t agree with her. Cue one very big dog with a poorly tummy that is was running to the loo every few minutes. If DH had been home when i got in from work i wouldn`t have been responsible for my actions.

    A few meals of dry food and scrambled eggs and she is ok but i know that we won`t be out of the woods for a few days yet, poor doggie.

    Today will be spent doing the jobs that i didn`t get to do yesterday, the bed needs stripping and fresh bedclothes and its also bathroom scrubbing day. I need to pop out for some more eggs and a few bits and bobs and then i can get on with starting some more wine off.

    I need to get plenty made in time for Christmas :D Tea tonight is cottage pie - not sure what to have with it maybe peas or green beans and i need to rejig my meal planner as we`ve deviated from it a bit this week so i already have some things in for next week :j less money to give to the supermarket this week :D

    Bitsy - Boo sounds as if she is distressed, have your parents been back to the vets with her. Dogs usually hide pain really well so maybe suggest taking her to another vet for a second opinion? Hope that she improves soon :(

    I have a little black cat sat staring at me very intently so i think that i`d better go and feed her :rotfl:

    Have a fabby day peeps :wave:

    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Morning Peeps

    ESM - Your W/end sounds manic :cool:
    SD - our dogs only have dried....as i am the one who usually has to do the garden clean up;)

    Was up with ds at 5.15 but he slept through :Twoohoo. Have made 8 mcmuffins for everyone and for dh to take for his workmate;).

    Tidy,clean and iron is my day today.
    Tea is HM KFC:D

    pitch black so cant give weather report HH will let you know :D

    Have great days xx
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Morning all:j:j

    Well its very windy here this morning so im hopeing that i dont get blown off my feet on the way to work:)
    Only harf a day work for me today ill be home by 1:00pm so i dont need to take any dinner with me. Ill have for my dinner homemade roast punkin and garlic soup. My wife makes quite a lot of home made soup all year round. most a very quick and easy to make.

    Im cooking dinner tonight. But im sure what ill be doing yet so ill update later.
    My wife dose not work on fridays so the twins will be at home with her all day today. she will be taking them to the local sure start place for there music tots group:j the twin love music and danceing.

    Iv ordred some of that really big garlic, i hopeing that it will be here today or tomorrow so i out plant it out on sunday. I have grown garlic in the past but never the really big stuff so.

    Anyway i better get ready to go out.
    Have a great day everyone:j:j
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Morning all
    The weather seems a bit calmer here today, not so many twigs all over the road.
    The usual chores have been done, hubby's been dropped at the station with his packup & the fish have been fed.
    I've started scarf number 3, I'm a bit behind as I was out 2 nights running, but hopefully I'll catch up over the weekend. It means I won't get much housework done, oh dear, what a shame, never mind, lol.
    I have my new glasses & so I can see better now, not a massive improvement though, but I should be less of a risk to those cyclists who dress head to toe in black & have no lights or reflectors on their bikes.
    Have a good day everybody.
    Hugs Hester

    Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Good Morning chums ,seems a bit less windy this morning and we are forecast some sun but I still feel chilly an stiff,but thats probably just old age creeping up on me :)
    School run this morning and some housework, then this afternoon I have a history class,so that takes care of most of today.Hope you all have a good day,I'm off to get some porridge inside of me to warm me up,
    Cheers chums
    Jackieo
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good Morning Everyone! Slept quite well for once - until a wet nose found my face a short while ago with new doggie determined it was more than time I was up and about if you please! Oh well, once I've had a cuppa I'll be feeling human again I hope. Said doggie now lying beside me as if butter wouldn't melt!
    Have to go across to Chelmsford for my course this morning - hope it's a good deal less blowy later. DH off to London for a meeting so I'll be cooking supper - absolutely no idea what just yet. Far less organised these days - when I was working we had a 4 week menu plan, nowadays it's a case of pot-luck. Can't think where this week has rushed off to, don't seem to have done much at all. (Certainly not over-much in the housework line!!)
    At present I have a very long set of Minutes to type up (meeting held over a whole day!!) - and another meeting to take Minutes at next Monday - better try to get first lot out of the way or I'll be mixing the two!
    Beginning to panic as I can feel Christmas lurking just out of sight, but don't want to actually "see" it yet! Have horrid feeling that I have very few cards stashed away this year at all. I suppose you lot are mostly all ready for it! (Time to cut and run, methinks!)
    Hope you all have a good day today - and take care.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

    Seems a little bit warmer here today, I am off to work, but finish early so not too bad. London was not too bad yesterday, but I would not want to do that every day, took us 3 hours to get back on the train due to delays.

    Dinner tonight will be chicken curry and rice, dd is off to the cimema and to stay at her friends, so it will just be OH and I for dinner.

    Dad is hopefully coming home today, physically he is much better, but I think we have to face facts that he will never mentally come back to us fully :(, it seems that when he fell it knocked something astray in his head, it will be so nice to have him home though.

    Will go and get mums dog tomorrow and take her out for a long walk, they will only be able to mannage a short one, so its good to get her out every now and then.

    Bitsy, I hope Boo has improved overnight xx

    Have good days all xx
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    morning all I needed the car today so took hubby to work and saw loads of abandoned cars as the dartford crossing was closed so the roads were gridlocked round here
    Dog has been walked and DW is on
    Not sure whats for dinner yet but it will be quick
    Right have a good day hugs to all who need them
  • Morning,

    Blustery up here this morning, and surprise, surprisi its wet too! :p

    OH slept in this morning, I did wake him several times, but fell back into a deep sleep myself, so he woke and ran out the door last minute without even a coffee inside him. DS1 has been a bit run down/poorly for the last few days, but I have just been dosing him up with cold and cough meds and shoving him out of the door, but OH said he wasn't looking good when he went in to say good morning, I'll leave him another ten minutes then try and get him up and see what he's like, oh he's just appeared - hmm doesn't look too bad, he is convinced I called him down, maybe we have a psychic link :rotfl: Typical boy though, he doesn't help himself, the jacket's always wide open, and the polo shirt unbuttoned!!

    Plan for the day is to play with my new Kenwood, I have sold the old one, and the woman is coming for that today, we worked out yesterday it is 32 years old!! That's the same age as my youngest sister! I tried the new one for bread dough last night, my goodness, it is big and powerful, there was a hugs difference in performance :D I fancy buying the ice cream attachment for it, so I might need to get back to doing the online surveys I think!

    Hope you all have a good day, hugs for Bitsy's boy and Boo, Dazi's mum, Molly and Essex Girl, and I hope dad gets home safe and well Redruby. JC how did your interview go.

    Hugs spoons and hi fives all round.

    Jackie XXX
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    morning

    DH has set off to Manchester this morning for a course
    DD2's uncle is taking her to school and i am taking Dd1

    then its off to sainsbugs and t3sco
    planning on defrosting the big freezer as its a looooonng time since its been done :o

    I have a few days off now and i plan to do some deep cleaning and decluttering
    does anyone have any good ideas for storing plastic tubs? i have loads of different shapes and sizes and they tumble out of the cupboard when i open it and i can never find the right lid for the right tub :o

    have a good day everyone
    ((((hugs)))) to all those feeling down/poorly
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.