We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Old Style Daily Thread Thursday 11th November 2010

Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Thursday 11th November 2010. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Good Morning,
Thankyou for all your kind wishes. Im still here waiting for a hospital bed. I guess that tells me that there are people worse off than me and i just need to be a patient soul. Anyway your support is much appreciated.

I saw the mother of the young soldier that was killed in action this time last year. I dont know if you remember but I posted about him and asked for your prayers/ support for the family? Well I saw the mother at the doctors yesterday and she is a shadow (literally) of her former self and I didnt know how to approach her and she didnt seem to recognise me either. Oh it made me think on and very poignant as today is Remembrance Day - Lest we Forget.

My OS is minimal but my dear cleaner is coming today so that should help me keep on top of things. Hope you all have a good day xx
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
«1345

Comments

  • Morning all
    Frosty here this morning & the car will need scraping before we drive to the station.
    I babysat for the FC last night as it was parents evening, they were very good & got glowing reports from their teachers too. I went from babysitting straight to WI, my local one is closing soon, so I visited another one & will join in the New Year, funds permitting.
    I shall be starting my 3rd scarf today, I now have orders for 15 so need to keep an eye out for more wool & make sure I have enough days left to knit them before we break up.
    I must go & scrummage in the freezer for something for tea tonight.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

    Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Morning,

    Molly - Yes i do remember...such a shame xx

    Wet and windy start to the day here. Up with DS since 5.30am, which is fine be me if he sleeps through :T.

    Mum coming over today to come to town.
    Tea is belly pork and mash.

    Have good days xx

    remembrance-poppy.jpg
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • morning all

    Very cold here today! Am up trying to finish Xmas shopping on the net.
    Not been on much at the mo as sorting wedding things....saw registrar yesterday for final meeting and gave in my song choices;)
    Having major problems with DS at school:(. He holds it together a little at school but we are having massive meltdowns at home. School are getting the autism team back in and the psychologist:o.
    Bacon hotpot for tea later, sausage toad for DS.
    Molly hope you get a bed soon! How awful for your friend....I remember you telling us about it last year. I dont know how any parent gets over that...I would think they probably never do:(
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

    Freezing here today, have not opened the blinds yet, but I think the cars will be frosty.

    I am off to London today for a meeting, really dont want to go, it means a much longer day for me,and I dont really like the travelling, oh well soon be over.

    That leaves OH is charge till I get back, I asked him to collect dd and I from the station, put the dinner in, and collect the dog from my mums, he asked me for a list :rotfl:because he would not remember, this is just a fraction of the things I do per day ;) Bless him.

    Dinner tonight will be easy pizza and chips with some coleslaw, I also have a sainsbugs delivery coming tonight, will also do a wash and shove it on the airer.

    Meant to be heavy rain later, so had better take a coat with me, ok better get on, being picked up soon.

    Molly, I hope you start to feel better soon xx

    Essex girl, hope you are ok too xx

    Have good days all xx
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Morning all:j:j
    Well it very wet and windy here this morning but dose not see too cold. Looks like putting the waterproofs on again to the workhouse, sorry the lovley place that i work that pays me a very high wage (i wish:rotfl:) I should have a better day at work today as my work partner is is back in today he had yesterday day and evrything that could go wrong did! But on the pluss side i still found time to read the paper:D
    Iv been read that new daily paper the last couple of weeks the I its from the indpendat only costs 20p and it a good read. Its a bit like the free daily the metro smae sort of layout and that.

    Dinner last night was homemade fish pie cooked by my wife. Its my wifes tuen to cook again tonight and shes is planning to do corned beef hash. Iv got a tin of chuncky veg sould and some bread for my dinner at work today.
    well what ever you all have planned for today i hope it all goes to plan for you
    enjoy yourday everyone:j:j
    I wish you all a better than good day, On this day when we rememebr the war dead, of past wars. The ones that never got to live there lifes, the ones that never got to be all they could have been. We all have problems, worry and stress but at least we have freedom and at least we are all alive livving our lives the best way we can.

    :j:jEnjoy:j:j
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxissYDcuQBuGHvbWFTEd3rw8WWEE7Wwyqbd_8FZfZWx4hjmM&t=1&usg=__63KVf4gT5!!!IR9A4VF2SPf0FvM=LEST WE FORGET


    morning everyone

    horrible weather today , I normally work in a warm cosy office but today I am outside all morning :cool:

    will nip to L!dl when ive finished check out the offers

    got a lot of washing and ironing to do

    (((hugs))) to all that need

    have a good day xx
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi folks. I am warmed by your posts today:). This will be a very poignant day for many.
    Windy here but not as cold. I have looked ahead at the forecast though and see we are to get the joys of -3oC on Sunday night:eek:. But...a nice optimistic way of looking at it is my goodness how that will kill the germs in the air ;).
    I have my freezer to reshuffle today as i have tattie soup to freeze and also some chicken stock. i boiled up our chicken carcass from Sun and with some of it I added a pack of Knorrrr chicken noodle soup. A cheat but it tasted like homemade. Made me think how that would be good for colds and flu time, when I really crave it, so I'm going to freeze tubs of the stock instead of making a big pot of veg soup with it as I usually do.
    Tea last night was cajun salmon, baked pots and salad (after the cheat soup!). It was fab. The salmon fillets were 2 packs for £5 in A$da and they were really nice ones. Same again tonight I think, unless I swap it for corned beef hash as after reading that Halight's wife is making that tonight, I really fancy it! This is like the power of advertising!!
    Got some Te$co cheapie baby bath for 11p yesterday! I'm going to use it in the soap dispenser. Much cheaper than liquid soap. I think it will be a bit stronger but i have handcream next to the sink so will just have to remember to use it!
    Thinking of you Molly and am pleased to see you posting today. Really hope that a bed becomes available soon for you.
    RedRuby - hope your DH gets on fine with his list:p and that your travelling isn't too bad today.
    Take care all and stay warm in this wind
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Morning all

    Thinking of all the servicemen and women today, Remembrance Day, those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and their families, our thoughts and prayers are with you all x

    Wet and very windy here, but not so cold.

    Dinner last night was beef stew with dumplings, LO cauli/broccoli cheese, carrots, cabbage, mash and yorkshires - just the right sort of food to match the weather! Hoping to have a productive day today but have a couple of errands to run, very often these take longer so eat into the day - will try my best. Tonight's dinner will be mushroom and bacon risotto - hoping it turns out ok.

    If I get to a point where I've got lots done, I'll be trying to wrap the X**s gifts I've got so far and I need to post a birthday prezzie to my nephew.

    Mum is still not so good after her knee replacement op 10 weeks ago, she saw consultant yesterday and has to go back into hospital - so not good news but hoping this will give her some pain relief - she's only managed to sleep for a max. of 3 hours in one go since the op and is still in vast amounts of pain all the time.

    Will be menu-planning and creating a shopping list today for shopping tomorrow.

    Not much else to say really, keep safe and well everyone, hugs to those that need them.
    nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Morning All,

    Wet windy and woefully cold up here :( Rememberence day is a happy and sad occasion for us, two of my darling nieces have their birthdays today, one 3, and one 6, so amongst all the sadness we have a lovely reminder of how life goes on, which is what all those people like that young man you know Molly, gave their lives to ensure.

    Plan for the day is clearin out again, I am barely managing little and often, but I had a busy day yesterday and dyed my hair too - confession that this was me finally getting around to it, all those times I have said I was going to do it, I just couldn't bring myself to make the effort, I even one day got all the stuff out of the boxes and organised them in the bathroom, but couldn't face it :o.. But its done now :) I look like a different person, it had been almost five months :o So that's picked me up another wee bit too.

    Hugs for our poorlies and worried, I saw on FB last night that Essex Girl is in hospital, she has had some sort of tummy bug, hopefully she will be better soon.
    Hugs spoons hi fives for everyone today, stay safe out there, too.

    Jackie XXX
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Morning all

    Very wet and windy here and we are supposed to be going shopping (We shall see)

    Fingers crossed that the roof on the shed stays on as DH only repaired it yesterday.

    Hope that you get a bed soon Molly x

    nmlc :eek: you have just scared me witless - I have to have both knees replaced :(

    NPM....Sorry to hear that Noah is still having problems at school maybe it is time that you pushed for a special school placement ((((((Hugs)))))

    Well DS has just gone off to school so I had better go and do my shopping list just in case we do brave this weather (Might leave it till tomorrow though)

    Keep warm and safe x

    They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them
    .

    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.