Great 'what do you pay more for if you're poor?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    I have always believed that people with asthma should get special treatment. When I was told (incorrectly) that I had asthma I was shocked to learn that sufferers had to pay for nebulisers.
    Asthma is a killer and 10,000 people each year die from it.

It is so important to keep warm. Some of the energy companies have a social tariff which is cheaper than the normal one. Ask your energy company about it. We use a lot of heating and are paying about £70 per month for gas and electric although it will probably go up this year. Due to my heart
    problem and taking warfarin (blood thinning)
    I am getting the social tariff from Scottish Power.
  • MoneyFan
    Options
    vinvin wrote: »
    prescription charges! if you have ill health and are poor,bad luck. If you pay for a pre-payment certif because of your ill health but cannot afford a years certif you are heavily penalised. you can get a four month cover which costs way more than a third of a yearly. This is naughty as most pre-payment certif users are using them for many years, yet if you cant afford to lump out 1 years dosh then you are penalised and charged more for being poor, wicked.

Corect me if I'm wrong but the current cost is:
    £28.25 for a 3-month PPC and £104.00 for a 12-month PPC

I appreciate some people have very regular prescriptions but if it's monthly or longer there is no need to have one at all times. A three month PCC can cover a script on the 1st of Jan, Feb & March then another on the 31st of March covering April then buy another 3 months to begin on the first of May.
    This makes the cost of a '3' month £7.08 a month (28.25/4) and a 'yearly' (effectively 13 months) £8.00 a month (104/13)
    I'm lucky enough to be monthly so I wouldn't have an annual PPC if I could lay out £104 in one go!
  • Tupperware_Queen
    Options
    MoneyFan wrote: »
    Corect me if I'm wrong but the current cost is:
    £28.25 for a 3-month PPC and £104.00 for a 12-month PPC

I appreciate some people have very regular prescriptions but if it's monthly or longer there is no need to have one at all times. A three month PCC can cover a script on the 1st of Jan, Feb & March then another on the 31st of March covering April then buy another 3 months to begin on the first of May.
    This makes the cost of a '3' month £7.08 a month (28.25/4) and a 'yearly' (effectively 13 months) £8.00 a month (104/13)
    I'm lucky enough to be monthly so I wouldn't have an annual PPC if I could lay out £104 in one go!

you can do it that way, but if you have chronic health problems, you may need a script in between times. I pay by direct debit for my annual prepayment card, so that I know I'll never be without it. Very useful this month, as I have had 4 additional prescription due to my asthma already!!
    Getting fit for 2013 - Starting weight 10.1.13 88.1kg
    Weight 27.3.13 79.1kg :( weight 2.4.13 79.9kg Weight 24.4.13 77.8kg. 4.6.13 76kg

BSC member 331
  • raddyantic
    Options
    Agree with a lot of what people have said and have listed some things below, soe of which have been mentioned already to be fair.

Being single I've found that stuff like razor blades are soo expensive for decent ones like Mach 3 - cheap disposable ones are so awful

Hotel rooms are more expensive as they're designed for 2

Wedding lists gifts cost a fortune to buy if you're not a couple

Getting a round of drinks in costs loads - prefer just to buy my own as I dont drink anymore, and even when I did i'd probably only have a couple of drinks in all eve as opposed to paying for a round where there's a large group.

Prescriptions costs loads something like £7.20 a go now and emergency dental treatment :s

Decent healthy food costs loads - so you have to end up buying junk from Iceland for a £1 to fill you up - like a person said on here no wonder people are overweight!

Gas/Electric is soo expensive!
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    edited 23 December 2010 at 4:22AM
    Options
    raddyantic wrote: »
    Totally agree, I have rented out houses as a private landlord in the past to people on benefits. The rent these days get paid to the tenant now as opposed to the landlord directly. The system gets abused as the tennant stays at the property witholds rent for several months and pockets it and spends it on frivilous things like large flatscreent TV, lottery tickets, fruit machines, fags, booze, drugs, etc. Then they just scarper and go back to the council again for housing! This has happened 4 times to me and every time i've seen similar behaviour from tennats who apparently have 'no money'.

You know posts like yours really hack me off raddy
  • JoseChungsDoomsday
    Options
    avinabacca wrote: »
    Fair enough - why don't you jack work in then, and go on the social?

you really are a vile human being, do you know that?
    :santa2:
  • Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    Options
    I do applaud this thread, but some of the posts are frankly ridiculous.
    For background info, I am from a working class background, household income sub-10k for a family of three.

Cars are not cheaper than public transport except in a rarity of cases such as short drives due to disability, rural locations, or 3+ child families.

I think the key point is, everything is more expensive if you have children. After all, you are now supplying for a whole other person. I hate to echo the remarks of Howard Flight, but if you decide to breed, you've just lost a huge portion of your take home pay. Average price of bringing up a child is reported to be close to £100k.

P.S Mach3 razor blades? Oh hello there darling, let's pop down and get Mary another riding hat shall we?
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • raddyantic
    raddyantic Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2010 at 2:24AM
    Options
    EdgEy wrote: »
    I do applaud this thread, but some of the posts are frankly ridiculous.
    For background info, I am from a working class background, household income sub-10k for a family of three.

Cars are not cheaper than public transport except in a rarity of cases such as short drives due to disability, rural locations, or 3+ child families.

I think the key point is, everything is more expensive if you have children. After all, you are now supplying for a whole other person. I hate to echo the remarks of Howard Flight, but if you decide to breed, you've just lost a huge portion of your take home pay. Average price of bringing up a child is reported to be close to £100k.

P.S Mach3 razor blades? Oh hello there darling, let's pop down and get Mary another riding hat shall we?
    It's a perfectly valid if you're a bloke Razor blades are expensive if you want a good one that doesn't cut your face off, as competitors are all in on it and have fixed the price of them which is unfair and expensive. Something which certain organisations like OFT have looked into last year. So in fairness there's a wider issue of collusion and price fixing at work here by large corporates.

If I were to go a bit leftfield (for my own amusement!) I compare razor blades to mobile phone contracts once you're tied in you're stuck lol! and you want to keep up with the Jones' and want the latest 'upgrade'...first there was Mach 3, Mach 3 Turbo, Mach 3 M3 (a sheer engineering 'breakthrough' a razor with a battery !!!!!! y?!) , Mach 3 Fusion, and who can forget the 'critically acclaimed' Mach 3 Fusion Power - well they do say 'too many options can kill the man' ;) haha apologies I appear to have gone on a bit of a bizare tangent! :)
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    Our family has been on low income for about the last twenty years and when four of our children were all at school we got all sorts of help and free stuff. We got vouchers to get free school shoes once a year, we got free school uniforms that had been donated to the school when children had left, we had vouchers for two pints of milk a day, free prescriptions, glasses, dentists and other free stuff that I cannot remember now. Some of these things were never offered, we found out about them from friends then had to phone various agencies to ask. So I think you will find that there is still help out there, it is just a matter of finding it.
    Also for those who have their own house there are grants for essential repairs if you are on low income. We contacted the council's environmental health department when we had a continually leaking roof that we could not afford to have properly repaired and they came, eventually, to assess the whole house. They paid for major repairs including a complete new roof, damp proofing, new kitchen, etc, etc. It cost over £10,000 and we had to pay a few hundred towards it.

alot of councils no longer offer school uniform grants etc, I know mine dont
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    kymie wrote: »
    We are a working family, but we are barely keeping our heads above water. We dont drink, dont smoke, and dont have days/nights out, kids dont have any paid for after school clubs (luckily the schools have their own free clubs for them to go to once a week) and we dont have regular holidays (last holiday was 2007). I think some people see poverty as those not working and on full benefits, but actually I think its the low income families who suffer more. I havent had a new pair of glasses for 5 years (even though I now desperately need them). Also I have been poorly for a few weeks now but cant afford to get a prescription (and cant get over the counter as Im still feeding my youngest). Both those examples are usually free if you are on benefits. Also school trips! I know the schools try hard for the children these days but if you have more than one or two children at school the trips you are expected to pay for can be crippling, and if you are seen to be a working family you are not offered help! I also agree with all the posts mentioned above.

Is your little one over 12 months? Just asking as you will be exempt from prescriptions for 1 year after birth, this included glasses, just need to ask for the form from docs.

Also a pharmasist can help with what you can take if breastfeeding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport