Great 'what do you pay more for if you're poor?' Hunt

Comments

• The last time I had cause to look this up over 4 million households did not run a car and 13 million did not have the internet, out of approximately 25 million households in the UK.

I applaud MSE for taking on this kind of thing, especially as most people on low incomes are effectively excluded from the internet so they are not around for us to hear from them directly.
  • misscoupon
    misscoupon Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 November 2010 at 8:44PM
    Alex30 wrote: »
    Prescriptions cost a fortune if you can't afford to buy a pre-payment. As a student I couldn't afford a prepayment as I was paying out up to £60 a month for prescriptions so couldn't afford to save up for the pre-payment but myself and my partner were earning too much between us to qualify for any help. Fortunately this is no longer the case for me but I know other people who are in the same boat as I was and it's frustrating.
    Hi, if you can set up a direct debit, there is the option to pay the PPC in monthly instalments, which spreads the cost over the year. This is what my partner uses and it works out at £11/month. Here is a link for more information http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx.
    :grinheart It's Mrs Coupon now - saving and comping my way to a brighter future :grinheart
  • eadieb
    eadieb Posts: 238 Forumite
    I was at a remote car boot sale recently and was thinking how cheap you can pick up some very good quality clothes but people who cant get there by car obviously miss out. These days in town charity shops seem to be very expensive or a lack of quality items. I think people are selling stuff on ebay rather than donating to charity shops. I find I spend way too long searching and trying to win clothes on ebay. But I have got some fantastic items at car boots for 50p or a £1. Its fine if you have a car boot in a central location but where I live (in a rural area) there are a few good ones that are only accessible by car as they are on a sunday and there are no buses.
  • Techhead wrote: »
    Phone costs. Its expensive to run a landline. So many are on pre-pay mobiles.
    Many helplines, government departments, doctors are on 08 numbers with no geographical or 03 alternative.
    moneyse1 wrote: »
    Is it, though? Yes, it'll cost money in line rental, but if someone buys a package, it'll include most of their calls. Plus they'll have broadband, which should save far more than the cost of the line - families on low income should qualify for free laptops, or get a friend to put out a call on Freecycle.

If you don't already have a landline BT charge over £100 to install one, and the cheapest packages involve paying a year's line rental up front which again is over £100.

I think being unable to build up even a small "rainy day" fund puts people at a huge disadvantage as then even a small unplanned expense can be expensive and it then becomes a vicious circle.
  • For those without jobs (particularly those who are confined for all or part of their days in the house through illness or disability), heating and power also costs more. Its tens of hours per week that the house is occupied, where it wouldn't be in a working household.
  • kymie wrote: »
    We are a working family, but we are barely keeping our heads above water. We dont drink, dont smoke, and dont have days/nights out, kids dont have any paid for after school clubs (luckily the schools have their own free clubs for them to go to once a week) and we dont have regular holidays (last holiday was 2007). I think some people see poverty as those not working and on full benefits, but actually I think its the low income families who suffer more. I havent had a new pair of glasses for 5 years (even though I now desperately need them). Also I have been poorly for a few weeks now but cant afford to get a prescription (and cant get over the counter as Im still feeding my youngest). Both those examples are usually free if you are on benefits. Also school trips! I know the schools try hard for the children these days but if you have more than one or two children at school the trips you are expected to pay for can be crippling, and if you are seen to be a working family you are not offered help! I also agree with all the posts mentioned above.
    Our family has been on low income for about the last twenty years and when four of our children were all at school we got all sorts of help and free stuff. We got vouchers to get free school shoes once a year, we got free school uniforms that had been donated to the school when children had left, we had vouchers for two pints of milk a day, free prescriptions, glasses, dentists and other free stuff that I cannot remember now. Some of these things were never offered, we found out about them from friends then had to phone various agencies to ask. So I think you will find that there is still help out there, it is just a matter of finding it.
    Also for those who have their own house there are grants for essential repairs if you are on low income. We contacted the council's environmental health department when we had a continually leaking roof that we could not afford to have properly repaired and they came, eventually, to assess the whole house. They paid for major repairs including a complete new roof, damp proofing, new kitchen, etc, etc. It cost over £10,000 and we had to pay a few hundred towards it.
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    A few years ago when my husband's grandmother needed to have an inside toilet and a bathroom installed and a new roof we couldn't find any help for her at all. :(
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Def agree regarding issues related to schools, not just the trips, even thou people on low income could get a 50% reduction, its literally jumping through loops to get it, then when the school says voluntry contributions, the single parents etc usually scrape by to get the money when others don't pay.

After school clubs - our school, my dd wanted to do cookery club, for half a term (after Oct half term to Dec break) - £15.

They have music lessons - now dd wants a flute......

Each child has swimming in KS2 (new name for juniors) they have to contribute £1.00 per week to the coach.

Another example from our area, the local council no longer does school uniform grants, as they say items can be purchased from supermarkets etc, but a friend whose daughter went to Secondary School in Sept, by the time they had kitted her out with everything needed (excluding the actual uniform) was £300...

Forest school - each child has to bring a pair of wellingtons and set of wets to school, they are suppose to do forest school once a week - dd has done it 3 times since Sept

Another school issue - they have to leave PE kit at school Mon to Friday - so that means a pair of trainers has to be left at school for 1 hr a week useage.... by the time her feet has grown - those trainers are literally brand new.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    mum2one wrote: »
    Def agree regarding issues related to schools, not just the trips, even thou people on low income could get a 50% reduction, its literally jumping through loops to get it, then when the school says voluntry contributions, the single parents etc usually scrape by to get the money when others don't pay.

After school clubs - our school, my dd wanted to do cookery club, for half a term (after Oct half term to Dec break) - £15.

They have music lessons - now dd wants a flute......

Each child has swimming in KS2 (new name for juniors) they have to contribute £1.00 per week to the coach.

Another example from our area, the local council no longer does school uniform grants, as they say items can be purchased from supermarkets etc, but a friend whose daughter went to Secondary School in Sept, by the time they had kitted her out with everything needed (excluding the actual uniform) was £300...

Forest school - each child has to bring a pair of wellingtons and set of wets to school, they are suppose to do forest school once a week - dd has done it 3 times since Sept

Another school issue - they have to leave PE kit at school Mon to Friday - so that means a pair of trainers has to be left at school for 1 hr a week useage.... by the time her feet has grown - those trainers are literally brand new.

Ooh that trainer thing bugs the wotsits out of me as well! :mad: My kids both had super wide feet so I really resented leaving a £40 pair of Clarkes width fitting trainers at school to be worn for two hours a week.

I resent the netball skirt more though. It's never ever been worn.

And why can't they do athletics, running, gymnastics, netball, football, hockey, dance and aerobics in the same clothing? My children went to different secondaryt schools but they both needed three PE kits and either two or three lost of PE footwear.

Arguably the best school in our area insists on you ordering the uniform through the school's expensive supplier and that puts the poorer families off sending their kids there. I think they know that and they do it on purpose.

My kids both had growth spurts lasting years where they were too tall for any children's clothes and one of them had a chubby couple of years too. Both were in adult shoes and clothes by about age 11.

I don't think I've ever done a full school uniform, equipment, PE kit, school coat and footwear shop for less than £300. Multiply that by three or four children and imagine that you have to repurchase items all the time because of growth, loss, and damage and you can be looking at thousands of pounds a year.

On a low income that's going to lead to debt and all the problems connected to it.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • I've read this thread seems like a lot of problems and few solutions or ideas

Most of the problems stem from Companies/Society singling people out.

Transport 2 families work together
    One buys an all day ticket and goes in to town in the morning
    Other goes into town in the afternoon
    Split the cost.

Internet 3-5 families work together
    Buy a second hand laptop or computer off eBay 100-200 + Dongle [now much cheaper](shared cost)
    Mobile internet (T mobile do not charge for over limit so no surprises!)
    Cost £1 per day [don’t see why if not organised need more than this]
    [read small print for fair use mine is a 3hr limit then reconnect so use it all day just reconnect a few times]

Supermarket shop 2 or more families work together
    Order everything pay one shared delivery charge.
    Everything is itemized by product and price........easy
    Use supermarket checker web sites to find the best over price, few minutes work if you save between you £10 + [previous transport cost] end of the year you should be on to a winner.

Club together to solve problems!!

Use Credit union to save the money saved from working together after 12 months should have a safety cushion for emergencies.

Do not blow you money due to frustration!! I know been there.

Try to build sense of community and work together to solve problems for instance share knowledge and read forums like these to give you more idea's on when to get the promotions & solve problems debt/bailiffs etc.

Organise parties for children old and young.
    Club together get party games cheap as chips everyone’s on the x box etc

HTH

## Looks like the Victorian age is back, club together and prosper ##
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills