Great 'what do you pay more for if you're poor?' Hunt

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Nutritious food. Too often, the only shops in deprived areas are 'corner' shops that only sell long-life goods. Any fresh fruit and vegetables are often poor quality and expensive, if they stock any at all. Ditto meat and fish.

It is no surprise that you now have at least two generations on 'council' estates living on nothing but junk food. There is a vicious circle: no fresh food - only junk food available - no cooking skills - addiction to junk - no demand for fresh food.
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Phone costs. Its expensive to run a landline. So many are on pre-pay mobiles.
    Many helplines, government departments, doctors are on 08 numbers with no geographical or 03 alternative.
  • I would love to buy my daughter some decent shoes for school, i can only ever afford cheapo plastic ones that last her about 2 months as she walks a long way to school and back every day, it would be great to be able to buy some £50 leather boots that will last the whole winter but i never have that sort of cash spare.
  • corbyboy wrote: »
    While I would agree that I hate being charged extra just for paying monthly, adding a few pounds on each month isn't going to make the difference between being able to afford insurance and not being able to afford it.
    If you're poor then you have a have an limited income and it does.
  • Bank charges cost more since any emergency spend (eg urgent dental appointment too painful for a 2 month nhs wait) can easily knock you into the red.

Also, laundrette costs a fortune: local machines are £3-5 per wash plus 50 p per 5 mins in a dryer.
  • corbyboy wrote: »
    While I would agree that I hate being charged extra just for paying monthly, adding a few pounds on each month isn't going to make the difference between being able to afford insurance and not being able to afford it.

There speaks the voice of someone who isn't one a tight budget.

One or two pounds here every month and one or two pounds there every month soon mounts up. If you don't have that extra one or two pounds then you just don't have it.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • In my experience just about everything ends up costing more if you are poor, for instance internet connection to your home is about £8 per month, but if you can't have DD then you have to pay for internet cafes that cost £1 per hour! And ironically when you have money you get things given for free, as companies think you will be a good customer to have, so they send you lots of samples, they give you special dels, etc.
  • vinvin
    vinvin Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 November 2010 at 7:20PM
    prescription charges! if you have ill health and are poor,bad luck. If you pay for a pre-payment certif because of your ill health but cannot afford a years certif you are heavily penalised. you can get a four month cover which costs way more than a third of a yearly. This is naughty as most pre-payment certif users are using them for many years, yet if you cant afford to lump out 1 years dosh then you are penalised and charged more for being poor, wicked.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,139 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,139 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    noochie wrote: »
    I would love to buy my daughter some decent shoes for school, i can only ever afford cheapo plastic ones that last her about 2 months as she walks a long way to school and back every day, it would be great to be able to buy some £50 leather boots that will last the whole winter but i never have that sort of cash spare.

I really really hope the money fairy brings some extra ££££'s to you so you can buy some lovely boots for your DD.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure