Great 'what do you pay more for if you're poor?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    Options
    If you really want to put effort in, get yourself a proper cut-throat and turn it into a little hobby ;)

I'm always picky on the little things. Branded food and drink is usually the same old, it doesn't taste "better" generally, just "different", like switching Coke to Pepsi.

30p chocolate bar instead of a £1 dairy milk might seem daft savings, but you'd kill to save 70% on a car for example. It all adds up.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Options
    Christ no! :eek:
    I'd be dead within a week. :D

Yes mate I'm with you on all that - The company I now work for sees a lot of the re-branding of various stuff, often big-name stuff re-branded down to flog off massive excesses cheaply but without hurting the brand name, or (what I would consider anyway) cheap stuff re-branded up to sell more expensively at various times of the year (hint hint crimbo).

I really does bring home how little a brand means, and this is often between massive, multi million pound food companies - I just can't believe how daft I was for years wasting so much money..

However, sometimes it looks like cheap tat because it *is* cheap tat, we all have to look out for that. :p
  • raddyantic
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    There is no need to pay lots for razors.

ALDI's non-disposable razors are comparable to the best and much more reasonable. Give them a go. IIRC - Tesco and Boots also sell them under their own label but are almost double price wise compared to ALDI.

Get a good shaving gel not foam - Nivea, Gillette and even Lidl's can all be had for £2 or less. With the Gillette, I get either the one on offer or their basic 'Comfort Glide' sensitive which is always £1.79 in most stores.

I didn't find ALDI's or Boots own brand gels very good - so avoid those.
    Yep shaving gels are ace and last a long time - much better than foams, and supermarket own brands are cheap enough - I think Superdrug do a decent own brand one in a extra huge tube for a cheap price :) . I'll check out the Gillette Comfort Glide one. Ta
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    I think attitudes to money and resulting choices made are the biggest obstacle.

The need for immediate gratification is supposed to be a trait of the poor/working class and is said to be what keeps them poor.

You see shops selling overpriced tat on tick with shocking rates and think who'd pay that? It's inevitably poor people that do. Some just don't think beyond today and are incapable of planning and waiting for things.

Attitude to credit/debt is another big factor. A lot of people seem to think it's free money and are incapable of not spending any credit available to them, regardless of cost. And without much thought.

Pretty much all of the issues listed can be worked around by planning and sensible budgeting and spending IMHO. There's plenty of people on low incomes that manage very well.
  • Derivative
    Derivative Posts: 1,698 Forumite
    Options
    There's a selection bias, as any 'poor person' who actually balances the books is no longer a poor person.

The most important part to realise I think is, your bank balance is completely irrelevant for most purposes. What matters are your outgoings and income.

Reality is harsh and cold. If you calculate your true net worth, most people will find it's far lower than they expected, especially if you include sometimes overlooked liabilities such as children (average cost to raise a child to 21 is above £180k according to studies - then there's the opportunity cost of living a settled life).

That figure might be over the top - I'd like to see members on here with kids of their own tot up a year and see what comes out. But it leaves us with the inescapable fact, for a large amount of people, having children is massively damaging financially.

Then there's other factors like choosing where to live for your chosen profession, whether a car/bike/public transport is better, should you spend money on Christmas and birthdays, weddings, etcetera.

It's all a huge tradeoff between what you're willing to give up to have secure finances. Lock yourself down with kids and an SO at age 25, you're probably stuck in the town you're in, lose your job and your options are very limited.

I don't begrudge those who choose to live the 2.4 children family dream. But I think it's very wise, for those on the forum who still have the choice, to delay their 'dreams'. It's a sad fact of life that having children is increasingly becoming something for the rich, all around the world.

My parents are young and while I had a lovely childhood, everything would have been less of a struggle with a few more years for them to build a savings pot.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    I'll hae a go at totting up the cost of my kids over the festive period I have 2 and a 3rd on the way. Off the top of my head I expect 10-15k in 2011. 2010 well it depends what you count 3rd child meant bigger home required so we sold and bought again only this month. I really don't like the idea of bringin kids down to money though some ofour best family days have a very low monetery cost.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • Cost of not having kids form me was about £120 this year, this is a massive saving :D. Actually earlier I called GF a "monkey looking dwarf" so could be considerably cheaper in the near future.

Yes, I know I can buy cheaper online but somehow doesn't quite feel right/safe.

For those that worry about price of shaving grow a beard.
    Santander are awful - mission in life is to warn people since 17-Sep-10, 18-Sep-10 realised one of thousands.
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    EdgEy wrote: »
    Surely the solution then is to move to the city. Extra £400 a week rent? (per adult..)

The whole reason that commuter belts exists is because everybody can't "move to the city".
    I think we fundamentally disagree on what is 'normal'. You can't use an edge case of someone commuting two hours a day and state that public transport is always more expensive.

Perhaps we do.

8 million people commute on public transport every day, and 18 million commute by car.

The example I gave is a 35-40 minute commute.

The average UK commute, whether by car or train is 45 minutes, so I think that puts my example well inside the normal range.

If 25 million people are doing it then surely it qualifies as "normal"?
    If you did a full yearly priceout of a car doing 100 miles round trip a day you'd probably find it's expensive too (40mpg car would be £10 petrol for a start, then there's maintenance...)

We did cost out my husbands 100 mile a day commute plus all other family journeys. Over two years it averaged out at £344 per month or £4128 per year, including all maintenance and the cost of buying the car initially.

The train fare for that 100 mile a day work journey alone is £35.30 per day or £8472 for 48 weeks of the year - but it was slightly cheaper three or so years ago when we costed it all out.

The season ticket for that one journey is £3612 for the year, or £301 a month but this is only for one person's work journey, and no other travel.

My main point all along has been how is a family who is poor to find £3612 in one go? Therefore public transport is one of the things you pay more for if you're poor.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    ixwood wrote: »
    I think attitudes to money and resulting choices made are the biggest obstacle.

The need for immediate gratification is supposed to be a trait of the poor/working class and is said to be what keeps them poor.

You see shops selling overpriced tat on tick with shocking rates and think who'd pay that? It's inevitably poor people that do. Some just don't think beyond today and are incapable of planning and waiting for things.

Attitude to credit/debt is another big factor. A lot of people seem to think it's free money and are incapable of not spending any credit available to them, regardless of cost. And without much thought.

Pretty much all of the issues listed can be worked around by planning and sensible budgeting and spending IMHO. There's plenty of people on low incomes that manage very well.

I think that's the prejudice that people on low incomes and fixed incomes face.

I despise companies like BrightHouse for preying on the vulnerable, you think it's the vulnerable people's fault.

Horses for courses I suppose.

Money is a finite resource. if you don't have much of it and it's all already allocated, then what do you do when the washing machine or the lawn mower blows up?
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2010 at 12:34AM
    Options
    public transport is another, especially as they charge more in 'peak times', ie when people are going to work, going to school, to college and the rest, so its a tax on everyone getting up early pretty much.

A good example is the bus company around here:

Before 9am atm £8 after Jan 8th - £10!

After 9am atm £4.50 after Jan 8th - £4.90.

If this isn't a tax on leaving the house in the morning, (and bus, trains and planes all do the same), then I don't know what is!

Whats worse is that if you need the all day one its pretty much a quarter of your money gone each week on bus fares!

The government that brings in the liveable £7.50 per hour wage will have my vote in the next election (which may eventually be sooner than we think!)
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport