🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I want to know what "really pi55ed" ML off

Relatively easy ...they cut my pay.

Last year my business unit increased its revenues by 25% but because the rest of the business did not do as well they cut pay across the board. I believe you only take "we're all this in this together" so far. I asked them how that was supposed to be motivating to me (to continue to pursue growth this year) and they really had no answer other than to rely on goodwill. I think it was a major misjudgment on their part. I just don't think they saw me as fighting back (or maybe they've been reading this thread ;-))
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    Congratulations ML! Although I too won't really believe it until July comes along.:rotfl:
    (And to head off any possible arguments come July, going back as a contractor does not count as retired!)
    :rotfl: Seconded :rotfl:.

Congrats ML, we didn't see that coming :beer:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Do your europe travelling like I do in July to avoid the August traffic. Hit up the UK in August maybe?

We do have a bit of a plan!

Which is:

- January / February, probably somewhere warm for a couple of weeks
    - November - same, somewhere warm
    - December through March = skiing (when not somewhere warm - see previous point)
    - May and October - UK - avoiding school holidays
    - Rest of time at home

:T
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Assuming you do make investments your challenge will be spending more than you're gaining. Assuming an average return of only 8% in P2P I'd expect to be able to cover your whole income need with just 800k, excluding inflation cover.

Yes, we're reshaping our portfolio now.

At the moment we have far too much money in cash (about 40% of our savings) but as i work through my notice period we are going to be reducing that and I expect to keep around three year spending (10%) in near cash.

I must admit to being slightly nervous on P2P (but maybe you can enlighten me!) as it seems that the rates offered are better than someone could get at a bank especially given the relatively low LTV offered. Has me asking why someone would go P2P? So at this stage I am just dipping my toe in the water and see how it goes.

Broadly speaking we need to generate around 3.5% to maintain our capital. anything above that would be a bonus.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well....here's some news for you.

Six years, one month and one day after starting this thread.....I quit.

A couple of things happened over the last month at work that really pi55ed me off so.....i wrote the letter. I sat on it for 10 days and tweaked it every day of those ten days.

During those 10 days we've also been running through our stash (€2.1 million in investments +€1 million in deferred tax accounts + pensions) as well as our budget (€35,000 'basics' + €30,000 'fun' money) and it all seems to stack up.

Finally I reached that point where the reasons to go exceeded the reasons to stay.

My contractual leaving date is 30 June 2017 ....

Press reset!

So delighted to hear this, have been following the thread for so long now ... like others I've been frustrated and excited as the story has unfolded, it's been the topic of discussion in my RL for a long time as well as its given us good food for thought that wouldn't have been possible without the posts ... so I Thank you very much for that ML

I wish you every happiness in your retirement June will fly in

Enjoy your time left and we'll done on making your decision ( finally)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Relatively easy ...they cut my pay.

Last year my business unit increased its revenues by 25% but because the rest of the business did not do as well they cut pay across the board. I believe you only take "we're all this in this together" so far. I asked them how that was supposed to be motivating to me (to continue to pursue growth this year) and they really had no answer other than to rely on goodwill. I think it was a major misjudgment on their part. I just don't think they saw me as fighting back (or maybe they've been reading this thread ;-))

We've seen that before. 8 offices, yours does best, the MD's does worst and they think it is a good idea to split bonuses evenly. yeah, right. Zero motivation to stay or to do better.
  • atush
    Options
    First step on the journey is a Caribbean cruise in January ....then we'll see what happens.

7 months to go, but you have all that leave to use up lol. Go for it.
  • atush
    Options
    We do have a bit of a plan!

Which is:

- January / February, probably somewhere warm for a couple of weeks
    - November - same, somewhere warm
    - December through March = skiing (when not somewhere warm - see previous point)
    - May and October - UK - avoiding school holidays
    - Rest of time at home

:T

If we sell our place in france we may try southern europe in june- even better for low crowds.

we'll do nov-april in Florida, then take trips to mainland UK and europe in early summer. Rest of the time here, but will downsize my 5 bed house plus barn and 2 acres. Far too big (when they leave, one gone for good, 2 back just after Uni for a year to save).

No plans for skiing ( I used to ski but sold my equipment when I married my english OH, as he doesnt). One of my boys does though.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,102 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2016 at 11:41PM
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    No sense of humour those tax people.;)
    Shame isn't it :(
    I think....
  • atush
    Options
    Not so much accusing you of taking the P, but wish those who decide adjustments/changes would read such posts.

AS I would like such loopholes closed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport