work placement or work slavement ?

Comments

• Vader123
    Vader123 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pimento wrote: »
    It's a sad indictment of the state of this country that (some) employers are able to play prospective employees off like this.

I think its a sad indictment that of the state of this country that someone earning the paltry amount on JSA won't even consider a "trial" that might lead to a job.

The amount of work shy comments are unreal.

I own my own company and employ over 200 FT people and have another 1000 on my books. I took lots of risks (with my both my own and my families future) to get where I am today. In the early days I re-mortgaged my house, worked long hours and took punts on contracts I never thought I would win.

So you have to work for nothing for a few days/weeks?

Whats the alternative?

You clearly can't get a job on your own strengths, otherwise you would have one.

The placement (intern, volunteer, call it what you want) might not lead to a job, but this is worse case scenario.

Even if that is the case, there are still advantages. You get a reference, some experience, meet new people (your new best friend might be there), increase confidence etc etc.

If you had to shell out money to do this trial then fair enough. If you had to do it for 6 months then fair enough.

But to discount it, without even trying?!

Frankly they are better off without you.

Vader
  • Vader123 wrote: »
    I think its a sad indictment that of the state of this country that someone earning the paltry amount on JSA won't even consider a "trial" that might lead to a job.

The amount of work shy comments are unreal.

I own my own company and employ over 200 FT people and have another 1000 on my books. I took lots of risks (with my both my own and my families future) to get where I am today. In the early days I re-mortgaged my house, worked long hours and took punts on contracts I never thought I would win.

So you have to work for nothing for a few days/weeks?

Whats the alternative?

You clearly can't get a job on your own strengths, otherwise you would have one.

The placement (intern, volunteer, call it what you want) might not lead to a job, but this is worse case scenario.

Even if that is the case, there are still advantages. You get a reference, some experience, meet new people (your new best friend might be there), increase confidence etc etc.

If you had to shell out money to do this trial then fair enough. If you had to do it for 6 months then fair enough.

But to discount it, without even trying?!

Frankly they are better off without you.

Vader

I can see where you are coming from but being asked to work for two weeks for free as a condition of your future employment is a bit raw. After all you are giving up your time and skills but all you are receiving back is a promise of them considering a job when at least you should be receiving a wage

If it was 2-3 days I think that would be a lot fairer

You don't like to bring religion into this but I do believe Jesus said that a worker should receive a wage. I don't like to argue with the man :D
    The World come on.....
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If the JSA is still being paid while the trial is going on, then I stand corrected. If it isn't, my opinion stands.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Vader123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I can see where you are coming from but being asked to work for two weeks for free as a condition of your future employment is a bit raw.

So whats the alternative?

Sit at home and wonder "what could have been?"

You don't like to bring religion into this but I do believe Jesus said that a worker should receive a wage. I don't like to argue with the man :D

Your right it has no place as the whole thing is contradictory.

For example, I see your bible quote and raise you.

Hard work brings prosperity; playing around brings poverty.

Vader
  • cmw1212
    cmw1212 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Incidentially I googled unpaid work trials laws and found out that in New South Wales Australia they are actually illegal including not paying someone for training, know that would never happen here the companies are on to too much of a winner.
    "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." :T
  • pimento
    It reminds me a bit of the days (not that long ago) where the dock workers would all turn up at the dock gates every morning in the hope of being 'selected' for a day's work.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Vader123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cmw1212 wrote: »
    Incidentially I googled unpaid work trials laws and found out that in New South Wales Australia they are actually illegal including not paying someone for training, know that would never happen here the companies are on to too much of a winner.

Try and move to Australia.

Just try it. Report back.
    It reminds me a bit of the days (not that long ago) where the dock workers would all turn up at the dock gates every morning in the hope of being 'selected' for a day's work.

Each and every one of them happy and eager to stand there and hope to get a days work.

How things change.

Vader
  • pimento
    edited 5 November 2010 at 7:56PM
    Vader123 wrote: »
    So whats the alternative?

Sit at home and wonder "what could have been?"

No. The alternative is that you apply for a job telling the employer why you fit the criteria. They then test or interview you to see if you're capable of doing the job according to their criteria. Then they pay you to do that job.

If agreeable to both parties, a paid probation period can be applied in case it doesn't work out on either side.

If recruitment is a problem and you've got a high turnover, you're not recruiting properly.

You shouldn't expect anybody to work for no pay.
  • pimento

Each and every one of them happy and eager to stand there and hope to get a days work.

How things change.

Vader

I doubt they were happy with no way to feed their families if they didn't work.

There was always the workhouse though, so no matter eh?

How things change? Yes, thankfully.
  • pimento

Hard work brings prosperity; playing around brings poverty.

Vader

Or maybe Arbeit Macht Frei?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure