We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OS Daily Monday 1st Nov

1356

Comments

  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,331
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Afternoon all,

    Hugs to you and your parents Ruby, hope that your dad is better soon.

    Csarina....good to hear that OH may be home at weekend. You are very wise to recognise that you are not so keen on quilting any more and to get rid of the stuff that you use....people are never willing to pay the price for intricate work.

    Elona....if you want to par-cook your spuds you can steam them for a bit and they won't fall apart, I rarely boil potatoes any longer, saves disasters.

    Going to put out all the towels I washed last night, they won't dry but I don't care, will get them out of my way and they will dry at some stage.

    Dinner to-day will be stir-fried beef with veg and rice, will be late as won't be back from airport before 5 I would think....if flight is not delayed.

    Nothing exciting happening in Mean Mansions...

    Have a good day all

    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Afternoon all! just back from London Town!

    I think the interview went okay, found the offices easily, it was really short interview but i met 1 of the managing partners, he said i'd be shortlisted down to 7 from 300 applicants for the job (that in itself i'm pretty chuffed about) he said he was very impressed with my CV and gave me a little tour of the office, also told me to go to bond street to spend the extra money i'd be making!

    I think he liked that i have a genuine interest in property and i'd priced up how much the commute to london would cost - i think the fact i live opposite the station put his mind at ease about the commute, as i found today, there isn't really much of one, train to london, then onto barkerloo line, very easy.

    They are shortlisting down to 1 or 2 tomorrow and will let me know then. So fingers crossed!!

    came home and OH has cleaned the house from top to bottom, so chilling out now, back to work tomorrow!
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon all.

    Just done a marathon catch-up, as I've not visited the thread since Saturday.

    Rosyred sorry to hear about your DH's cousin; sending posi-vibes, also for Redruby's dad and Mr Csarina and anyone else poorly right now.

    Sorry, I missed wishing luck to the peeps having interviews - hope all went well.

    Csarina, I have this recipe for Honey Lemonade, if it's any help:

    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Pared rind and juice of 4 lemons[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 pints water[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6 tablespoons set honey[/FONT]


    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Place rind, juice and water in a pan and bring slowly to the boil.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Remove from heat and leave to get completely cold.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Strain and stir in honey.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Chill thoroughly.[/FONT]


    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We had a very busy day yesterday; I had to get the CAMRA beer scoring spreadsheet done up and emailed to the branch chairman and pubs officer, so that too a bit of time. Also had our regular Sunday tasks to do; and I'm afraid I had to lie down for an hour or so during the day.
    [/FONT]


    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I did us nut loaf with roast roots for our dins, and some fried onions as well, cos we like them!;) HM "Xmas" pud for afters (although we waited a couple of hours before we ate that) and champagne in the evening.:D I also used a couple of tea lights in the pottery pumpkin tealight burner, and a lovely black beeswax candle that I got about 3 years ago when we visited Skye.
    [/FONT]


    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We don't get trick-or-treaters round here. I'm glad really; I imagine the video entry phone would totally flummox them![/FONT]


    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mr LW's on late shift tonight; I've managed to find a couple of large spuds in the sack, so I'll do them in their jackets, and I can have mine if he's going to be 'orribly late like he was last time, and heat his up when he gets in. We've got some lovely cheese with black pepper that can go with them.;)
    [/FONT]
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Afternoon All

    Managed to get the wii for DS. Currently £149 in Asda with three games :D £170 anywhere else with only one game

    Sorry to hear about DH's cousin Rosyred, fingers crossed they have caught it in time (((((((Hugs))))))

    Csarina that will be a relief for you if DH is home by the weekend ((((Hugs))))) x

    Redruby (((((((Hugs)))))))

    Hope everyone who has a Hospital appointment today gets on well (((Hugs)))

    Dinner tonight is meatball casserole with mash and kale

    Which I must put on now so BFN x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OK i am THINKING about playing netball again, i used to play for the county many moons ago and someone in the village has advertised for players, Do I go buy trainers etc and go for it or not i think maybe i'm too fat for it now :o

    Go for it!!!!! I have played netball until 6 years ago when I was pregnant with DS - I love it, especially since I am a shooter :D Unfortunately don't think I have the time to commit to a regular team but BB just do it. You don't have to buy mega expensive trainers and the best exercise is one you love, more likely to stick to it ;)

    Ended up driving to my brothers nick (he's a copper) as they appeared to have a cat with no home, its been hanging around for 36 hours now so finally decided to feed it. My mum has decided to take it on as its only a young cat, very cute I have to say. But driving to otherside of Brum kinda meant nothing got done this afternoon :o

    Bramble and JC - fingers crossed for your interviews, hope you are both successful x
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Thanks Bitsy I've taken the plunge and emailed her :eek:..

    RE: DS today new regime - Not had any juice (incase of dodgey E numbers) just water he's not that happy about that but he'll get used to it, has had no biscuits, choc or crisps just fruit, for Tea i made them HM chicken nuggets and HM chips he only ate the chicken but gave him extra, He's not had a sleep and he's beginning to get tired, bed will be at 7pm so we shall see what tonight brings :cool:

    RR - Any news on your Dad ? x
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Thanks again for all your good wishes, dad is home, the brain scan was clear thank goodness, but he is soooo confused kept asking why the loo had been moved, and that he liked the hotel, he was confused before but not like this, I honestly think he has got concussion, plenty of rest needed, I will make him some cakes tomorrow as he is not eating, and maybe some soup, he is happier at home so thats something.


    Bargainbird, go for the netball, it will do you the world of good, and Im sure you are not too big for it, grab the oppourtunity :T
    Not sure about ideas re your ds, has he got a clock in his room ? maybe get him one and set the alarm for a reasonable time, and tell him he is not to get up before the alarm, maybe a reward chart if he manages it ?


    Bramble and JC fingers crossed for you both xx


    Rosyred hugs for your DH cousin, and all of you xx


    I made lots of pies today, I tend to cook or clean if im worried :o, so sausagemeat pie for us, and veggie mince and onion for dd, with mash, roast squash, cauli and sprouts for dinner, best go and get on with it.

    Take care, you lot really are lovely xx


    PS Haribo, nice to see you posting, thanks for the good wishes, hope you and the girlies are ok xx
  • Evening all

    Very busy day in work. Finished off the community project at the school - gardening and painting, then headed back to office with work kids to sort out some bits n bobs. We ended up having a really random conversation about sex changes/transexuals/transvestites and other things along the same lines! I love having these chats with teenagers, some of them are so naive, some ask very honest (and sometimes funny!) questions, and they always surprise you with their views!

    Had some bad news about one of the work kids, a lad of 16, he went awol last week and turns out he was arrested for burglary and has been remanded in prison til trial. He is a lovely kid, but has lots of issues, such a shame :(. He has been in prison before so should be ok, it's just so sad that they get stuck in this vicious circle. He was doing so well with us too.

    OS wise - going to make a veggie roast dinner (as I missed out on making one yesterday as I was entertaining my old school friend! :rotfl:). DW went on this morning and have sorted the recycling.

    Have a good evening all

    x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

    * Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Afternoon all - doesn't it feel like evening now it's going dark so early?

    Up early and back at placement today - only 12 shifts to go! Am getting a bit worried about my interview on Friday as the last failure has knocked my confidence a bit. Also, I spoke to my personal tutor as the place I'm going are asking for references prior to interview, and it looks like he won't get it in before then.

    That's not the bit I'm worried about though, he's set up a meeting on Thursday so we can discuss what he's putting in the reference, and although I've passed everything and I know I can do the job, and have been a good student, I'm still worried his reference won't be a good one! I know it seems silly (and is) but I'm just worried that everything will crumble in the last few weeks and I'll never get a job! On top of that uni are being impossible and making wish the time to leave had already come! On the up side, I'll be able to have Thursday as a study day, so I can get some more revision done for the interview. Oh, and he's offered to talk me through interview techniques and discuss what went wrong in the last one, so it's not all bad.

    On a brighter note, I spent quite a bit of time with the OH yesterday, and dinner for tonight is already ready (chilli with baked potatoes) :T. He's persuaded me to go to the gym, so we're off to that in a bit, but should be back at a reasonable time. On a late tommorrow, so I get a lie in :)

    Hugs to all that need them.

    T xx
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,664
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    vmonkeyboyB - take heart that no one can give a bad reference any more, usually they are kept very factual and brief. Do you have someone who can give your a personal reference to show your character?
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.