We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
OS Daily Monday 1st Nov
Hardup_Hester
Posts: 4,800 Forumite
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Monday 1st Nov2010. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.
Morning all
We had 5 or 6 groups round trick or treating, I love to see the looks on their faces when I open the door dressed as a witch & they look even more surprised when I greet them by name! The last lot arrived at 9:30 & I just emptied the last of the sweets into their bag, they were most impressed.
Off to work soon, hubby's been dropped at the station with his packup, breakfast has been eaten & fish fed.
Lamb curry for tea tonight, made with leftovers from last night.
Have a good day everyone.
Hugs Hester
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.
Morning all
We had 5 or 6 groups round trick or treating, I love to see the looks on their faces when I open the door dressed as a witch & they look even more surprised when I greet them by name! The last lot arrived at 9:30 & I just emptied the last of the sweets into their bag, they were most impressed.
Off to work soon, hubby's been dropped at the station with his packup, breakfast has been eaten & fish fed.
Lamb curry for tea tonight, made with leftovers from last night.
Have a good day everyone.
Hugs Hester
Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
0
Comments
-
Morning Hester and all to follow,
Meant to be nice till late afternoon, so will get dd's bedding washed and on the line, will try and do another wash too.
Want to make some pie plates up this morning, I have some sausage meat, so will make a few up and freeze, will also make dd some veggie ones, need to do an online shop.
I will then go up to mums, and give my dads bedroom a good clean through and get the bedding changed, depending on what they are doing with dad, I will also go and see him later on.
Had a chat with my brother last night, and told him just how bad things are getting, he made one excuse after another for not getting up there, I told him a list of jobs that need doing, and he has promised to try and get up there this week, wont be holding my breath.
Thanks again for the good wishes, we should know more today.
Have good days all xx0 -
Good Morning Hester, redruby and all to follow.
Love the idea of you greeting the kids as a witch, Hester! We were out in the early evening and had no callers at all -so I have a tub of sweets here still!
Up early today as I'm still on last week's time! have done a load of ironing and the first load of washing is nearly through. have a load of carrots and parsnips hanging around, so will probably make some soup later on. Supper tonight will be chicken'n' rice to use up the roast from yesterday. Hoping to drive across to Luton market this morning - our nearest source of the West Indian stuff DH loves.
Had a pretty good week with DS and DGD - although DS "forgot" to bring all his medication so that was interesting until he admitted the problem and got a fresh supply. I do worry so much about him. Not sure he can cope alone at all, but having him here is like walking on eggshells.
Need to get dressed and feed and walk the dogs soon. The house work was pretty much untouched over half-term, so have plenty to do!
Redruby, have just read yesterday's thread = sorry to hear about your Dad.
Hope you all have a good day. Take care.Resolution:
Think twice before spending anything!0 -
Morning all
Dull and grey, wet underfoot but not raining now. First day back to work after a week off, not really sure what I'm going back to as the Spending Review was being annouced the day I finished for a week's holiday, so hope it's no worse than I expect.
We got back just before lunch yesterday so was able to get several loads of washing done, washing machine has been making a really nasty (and expensive sounding noise), so I decided to make sure the filter was clear, a 20p, button and some nasty looking gunk removed and it's working much better! Hopefully will be able to nurse it into next year, it was only a cheap machine but I took an extended warranty out with it and have had engineers out at least 3 times a year since I bought it and now the warranty has run out and as machine is 6 years I wasn't going to pay what I considered a lot of money for another year. Will buy a decent make next time! (Had to buy this one 3 weeks before Xmas when I'd done all the shopping and had no money so bought the cheapest I could find! never again!)
Our week away was great did lots of relaxing, reading, sleeping, chilling etc, needed some of that - as home is so busy most of the time. Did manage to make a huge dent in my Xmas shopping, only both sets of parents to do, the boys and half of one of my friends and I'm done! Need then to organise food and drink etc, but that's not a major job.
Will be getting stuck into the decorating that's half finished over the next couple of weeks, then that will be done ready for Xmas, we have all the paint so nothing needed.
Meals this week will made up as I go along, as not much money available and have some bits that need using up! Tonight it's egg, bacon, sausage etc.
Not much else to say really, keep safe and well everyone, hugs to those that need them.
nmlcWEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB0 -
Morning my lovelies

Nice and foggy here although I think it's rapidly disappearing.
Rushing off into local town today to pick up some stuff for my card making. Kids I think will be going to my mum's to play as I'll be quicker without them (and can have a proper mooch
).
Kids woke at 5.45am but I suppose by their body clock that's really 6.45am. I really wish they'd stop this changing the clocks. Causes no end of hassle IMO.
Will try and fit in some housework if DS allows (he's desperate to go back to school poor sod - got to wait til Wednesday). It's hard on him having kids here full time in hols as we don't get to go out and about like we'd really like to
Anyway not much I can do about it anyway......
Redruby - Hope your dad is OK, keep us posted xxx And here's an extra boot up the @rse for your brother
Hester - I'd love to see you in full witchy costume
beemuzed - glad you had a good week with DS x
Hugs, spoons and high fives all round. Have a good day OS or not.I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife
Louise Brooks
All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars0 -
Red Ruby - lots of love and hugs going to you - and fingers crossed about your brother.
As I had a huge long list of jobs to do this morning I made a start last night. Now I only have to do a bit of cleaning before the school run and then I have 20 mins or so before I leave for work. So I'm quite pleased. Trousers are a bit tight this morning - which tells me I've put on a few pounds over half term - need a concerted effort to get them off. Dinner tonight will be from the fridge as we've got loads of eggs, then for the rest of the week will be from the freezer!!
My ebay selling will be ending this week, so hopefully I'll have a bit of space in the house. Need to unpack from our weekend at MILs and then catch up on washing that I found waiting for me at home
As its the first of the month I'll have to pay all the monthly bills before we get the reminders - I prefer to pay a little monthly rather than be faced with a huge bill every 3/4 months. Sitting on here won't get my jobs done. Have a lovely day everyone xx Me, OH, grown DS, (other DS left home) and Mum (coming up 80!). Considering foster parenting. Hints and tips on saving £ always well received. Xx
March 1st week £80 includes a new dog bed though £63 was food etc for the week.0 -
Morning All
Grey and yucky here today.
Up with the larks and washing machine on, DH has gone back to work he really wants to get the shed finished but the weather was so wet yesterday he had to leave it.
Going to town today to see if our Asda has the red wii in (DS's Christmas pressie) Then only a few more to get and I am more or less set for Christmas apart from fresh stuff
Redruby ......I hope all is well with your dad's scan today ((((((Hugs))))))
Csarina....Hope OH gets home soon x
Well I am off to put the next load in
Have Good days everyone xBlessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
Not Buying it 2015!0 -
Morning Chums Off to a new hospital this morning in Pembury for to be assessed for the Lymphodema clinic there .then hopefully I will get out in time to go to Westerham to see my sisi-in-law and niece for a cuppa and a natter before coming home in time for an early dinner then out to Uni tonight .Its going to be a busy one Hope every one had a good one ,pinch punch first of the month and all that
Eeeek its Christmas next month !!!!!!
Cheers chums
JackieO xx
P.S. Fingers crossed for DD who starts her new job this morning0 -
Morning All,
Bright and a little bit frosty here. WM is on again! The boys are still sleeping, it took them a wee while to come down last night and settle to a sleep. We had loads and loads of Guisers at the door, and I had a great time making them all do tricks or treats
Couple of gobby teenagers, too, and one went away with nothing but a flea in her ear for cheek, the boys she was with were a bit embarrassed by her behaviour, never thought I'd see the day when a crowd of teenage boys behaved better than the girl in their company!
Plan for the day is a bit of housework here then if I have time a quick vivit to IKEA for a curtain pole and a couple of jars before my hospital appointment (very near one another) which is from 2.30 til 4.30. My sister is picking the boys from school for me too, so that's one less thing to worry about.
Redruby, I'm sure if needs be we could get a posse to come and sort your brother out for you
Hope the news about dad is good today. Hugs to you all.
Hugs spoons and hi fives all round today.
Jackie XXXIt's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi0 -
Morning all.
Redruby......hope everything goes ok today.
Todays agenda will be ironing the childrens uniforms ( they are back tomorrow
) and getting their bags ready.
I have my 20 month old niece for the day so 4 kids to entertain too...will do some fairy cakes, maybe some craft things, bonfire pictures and such like.
I need to do a wash too ( may need to use the TD as weather is pants and the rack usually goes in the playroom, but the kids will be in and out of that most of the day ).
Tea is Leftovers from last night and Saturday night so a choice of Sheperds pie or a roast chicken dinner ( both if they want ) and a cheesecake that I bought for pudding yesterday which nobody ate.
Have a lovely day everyone:)Mum to 3 gorgeous kids
Hoping to have a better year this year.
RIP Dad 8/9/10 and Grandma 2/11/10 My special Angels:A:A0 -
Morning All
Blue skies this morning....cloud is starting to build a little but its really chilly. WM is on, Kids are fed, Gammon is in the SC (didnt do it yesterday) and I still haven't decided what to wear for my interview later this morning!! Its 'narrowed' down to 3 of 4 outfits - I'll decide after more coffee. Didn't realise how much weight I'd put on since I packed in smoking until I was going through my 'smart' stuff to find something to wear....:o (I feel a new years resolution coming on!!)
We started a major declutter yesterday - there's a walk in cupboard in the kids bedroom that held all our clothes. I was really ruthless and there's about 9 bags of clothes to go - there's a used clothing company that runs near here where they pay 50p per kilo which I'll drop this lot intothis afternoon as I will never get around to ebaying it.
Have 3 simple MS jobs this afternoon and have to drop my old office keys in today too (
).
Right - onwards!Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
Quit Smoking 08/06/090
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards