PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

christmas pudding recipes?

Options
Help. Not the best cook in the world here & I like things that are nice & simple. Does anyone have a fool proof christmas pudding recipe please.
Please tell me I am not too late to make a nice one lol.
TIA
hugs
Helen
We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.
Good Enough Club member number 8
:j £2 coin club = now in a sealed tin so I'm not sure

Comments

• growingafamily
    Options
    check out this thread on the new Christmas and winter festivals board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=281136
    HTH !!
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    I know it's a bit early for Christmas but I made this by accident. Sorry I didn't make a note of the measurements so you'll have to experiment:

Ingredients

Stale bread
    Blackberries
    Mixed fruit
    Brown sugar
    Milk
    Water

Method
    Soak/mash the bread in a little milk and water until soft, add the berries and mixed fruit and sugar and mash it all up. There should be enough berries for it to be really dark and juicy. If it gets very soggy mix a bit of cornflour in. Put a bit more sugar on top and bake it (I just zapped it in the microwave for a few minutes until crusty on top). Serve with cream in front of the Queen's Speech!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All
    Title says it all really....I've misplaced a load of recipes during my recent move and wondered whether any of you lovely people could lay your hands on the Prima magazine recipe for Christmas pudding (I'm pretty sure it's from 2005).

It's the one I've used every year since it was published and it makes a fairly light, moist pud. Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of the ingredients - 1/4pt rum, grated carrot, and (I think) it included a bag of luxury mixed fruit (not that I'd use this particular ingredient).

I would be eternally grateful if anyone can help!
    Many thanks
    D
  • ellie14
    ellie14 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,I have just made mine I used the Delia one its very good ,its on her web page or I could give it to you.There is no carrot grated apple,leave to absorb flavours for a day .Checked a few web sites found them to be all very similar ingredients,mine are boiling as we speak.
  • Ishtar
    Options
    Thanks for the offer - I've got the Delia one, which I used to make in the past, but it just gives too much pud....

Never mind....we'll have to have a change this year!

Cheers
    D
  • Scarlett25
    Options
    Maybe you could try emailing Prima mag and ask if they have a copy of the recipe Ishtar? It's worth a go!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Ishtar
    Options
    Thanks guys...I'd looked on their website, ButterflyBrain, but couldn't see it - there's some great alternatives there though, so I'll give one of these a try

Great suggestion Scarlett25 - I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured, and all that.

It's maddening, I'd kept it somewhere safe, but in the chaos of moving it's somehow become lost. No doubt it'll turn up - either when I've made an alternative, or sometime in the new year...:rolleyes:

Thanks again for looking....
    D
  • Daisymac_2
    Options
    Is this not the one ?, this was from the website Butterflybrain referred so TY Butterfly:

125g (4oz) each sultanas, currants and raisins
    50g (2oz) ready-to-eat dried figs, chopped
    11/2tbsp brandy
    50ml (2fl oz) brown ale
    Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange
    50g (2oz) plain fl our
    1/4tsp each mixed spice and cinnamon
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    125g (4oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
    50g (2oz) shredded suet
    75g (3oz) dark brown sugar
    40g (11/2oz) blanched almonds, chopped
    1 small carrot, grated
    1 apple, peeled and grated
    2 medium eggs, beaten
    A little butter to grease

1. Put the dried fruit into a non-metallic bowl with the brandy, ale, zest and juice. Cover and soak overnight.

2. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the butter, to the bowl and stir well.

3. Grease a 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) pudding basin and line with a 61cm (24in) square piece of muslin. Spoon the mixture into the basin, packing it down fi rmly, and level the top. Gather the muslin together and secure with string, trimming any excess cloth.

4. Tie string round the basin just under the rim and knot. Make a handle by bringing the ends over the top of the bowl and tying them to the string on the other side.

5. To cook the pudding, put the basin on an upturned saucer in a deep pan. Pour in enough water to reach halfway up the sides of the basin, then cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 6hr. Make sure the pan never boils dry by topping it up with boiling water as necessary.

6. Remove the pudding from the pan and leave to cool, then lift it out of the basin, keeping it in its muslin cloth, and wrap in clingfi lm and a double layer of foil. Store in a cool, dark place. The pudding will keep for up to one year if wrapped tightly.
  • Ishtar
    Options
    Daisymac wrote: »
    Is this not the one ?, this was from the website Butterflybrain referred so TY Butterfly:
    Thanks for that, but sadly it's not the one.

The one I had contained no suet and only had rum as the alcohol content - a quarter pint of the stuff..... It also had prunes and dried apricots and a bag of luxury mixed fruit...and the best part was that you only had to steam for 3 hours, with a 1 hour steam on Christmas day.

If I could only remember quantities and the missing ingredients then I'd be all set....

Thanks again.
    D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family