Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 27

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2010 at 11:59AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.4K views

Replies

• hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Car problems meant I had to buy milk and bananas in the Co-op :eek:

On the postive side I realised a few weeks ago that they do the big reductions first thing in the morning rather than in the evenings like I thought. If I go straight from the school run like today then there are some great RTC like today:

sirloin steaks £2
    huge pack smoked salmon 75p x 2
    jumbo prawns 90p x 2
    chicken breasts (400g) £1.20 x 2

70% off most stuff, including the stuff already on half price offer.

ETA Sunnyday - such a horrid situation to be in. I hope something turns up soon.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    SUNNYDAY - love0073.gif

Well another spend today of £10.44 so I'm not off to a great start. Ideally need to spend under £30 per week to be on target which I have and I SHOULDNT need anything else this week (except milk and the local paper) so fingers crossed. On the up side I now have some loo roll, kitchen roll and have replenished the sweety stash.
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • fellwalker09fellwalker09 Forumite
    101 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi - I am amazed at how small budgets seem here. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. I have 2 labs also. Excluding their food, our grocery bill weekly, which includes any household sundries also, ie toilet roll, washing up liquid, etc, is on average, £100. I do buy only fresh food -meat, herbs, veg, fruit and muesli. No processed foods, no take aways or ready made meals. Usually shop at Tesco. Don't have a local cheap supermarket sadly where we are.
    Are there any lists/info here on where to start? ie any menu suggestions.
    Thanks.
  • wmfwmf Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another £5 in Co-0p as needed cereal and washing powder - their own liquid ultra is BOGOF at the moment if that helps anyone (Scottish store - don't know if is nationwide).
    Off to do a sig otherwise I'll forget the amounts. I never keep the receipts so have to update sig to keep track.
    Have a good one folks
    W
  • edited 2 November 2010 at 11:34AM
    welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    edited 2 November 2010 at 11:34AM
    Hiya i know im a little late but can i join back in this month after our week in malta last month i struggled to get back in to the october challenge £300 as im adding some xmassy bits to lighten the load next month ... good luck all.p.s spent a £1 on a veg pack from local market, swede, 3 onions,2 parsnips and 4 carrots bargain bangers and mash for tea and a stew for lunch tomorrow..
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • Fellwalker, you sound very like me. We too are 2 adults, 2 children, no dogs however. I also don't feed my family processed food and try to only eat fresh meat, fruit, veg etc. Again, Tes*o's is my local although I do take a drive out to AS*A every couple of weeks to do a big shop as it is soooo much cheaper. My current budget is around £70 a week but I am hoping to get this down to around £50 a week. Doubt that will be till after Christmas though as I am starting to sock up on my Christmas bits and bobs. I must admit that I do freeze leftovers though. For example, I made a yummy chicken curry for us all in the slow cooker. As usual I made far too much so I popped the leftovers in portion sized containers in the freezer. That way I know that we have a healthy home cooked meal straight out of the freezer for days when I don't have time to cook, (happens often when I am running late from work, kids need feeding before Beevers/youth club/sports club). In that respect I don't consider the food to be processed as I have cooked it and I know exactly what has gone into it. This works on loads of other things too, Spag Bol, Chilli, Home made sausage rolls, soup, the list is endless. Hope this helps and is the sort of information you was after.
    Just little old me!
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My freebie milk and more delivery just came :j
    Bit miffed that one of the milks goes out of date on the 5th so I shall make a huge batch of porridge pancakes to freeze.
    I'll still have enough for 8 bowls of cereal with milk, 4 dippy eggs and a pint of white sauce.
    The 3 bottles of strawberry milk shake will keep OH happy :p
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • edited 2 November 2010 at 12:07PM
    wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    edited 2 November 2010 at 12:07PM
    Good afternoon all :)

Hope everyone's budgets are going to plan! Fell walker- You can take a look at the weekly meal plans thread plus there are loads of recipes on the front page to have a look through.

I am not sure what I want to eat for dinner tonight- perhaps some soda bread and a casserole? Maybe a steak and ale stew n some mash......the weather here is awful!

Anyway I am off to clean up the kitchen before I start making dinner! Have a good day all :)

ETA- £22 spend in Sainsburys for fruit, veg and a few other bits n bobs for the rest of the month. SHOULD come under ok as I only have six days technically left as I'm away for a week......
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • First shop of the month - £6.78 at L**L and £24.39 at Mr Ms. Lots and lots of fresh veg bought as I've planed to make lots of veggie meals and soup as I feel that most of our main meals don't include enough veg. Also bought two cheap nets of red onions from L**L to make some red onion chutney for xmas prezzies.
    Have meal planned for three weeks and most of that is planned around freezer items and store cupboard items so should just need to buy 'top ups'. Well, fingers crossed, that's the plan!
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300
  • Lindy_-_LooLindy_-_Loo Forumite
    800 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spent £2.25 in farmfoods on milk and bread today. The bread - 2 hovis is now 2 for £1.25. Hoping the milk wont go up next!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!