I Need a Tempur Mattress, Need a Lottery win to buy it!

I have several collapsed discs in the base of my spine. Inoperable according to the Orthopaedic chappies.
Over the last year it has become increasingly difficult to sleep in my bed. This has resulted in me now having to sleep on either my sofa or armchair, both of which have thos raising foot boards. This is the only way I can get any period of sleep.
The Doctor has recommended I get a Tempur Mattress. Ive just taken a look and cant believe the costs !!
Im in receipt of DLA at the highest rates, Pension Credit and Incapacity benefit and it would probably take me ages to afford one of these mattresses.
Question, can I get a Grant or even a cheap loan from DSS or anyone to help me pay for it?
The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Contact your local council to see if you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. I'm not sure how they're administered and I think they're means tested but it's got to be worth a shot.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you contacted any charities?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Thanks for the replies. No I havent contacted anyone as yet, as the problem has been slowly getting worse but its now got to a state where something has to be done as I just cant sleep in our bed any more and even sleeping on the armchair or sofa is becoming intolerable and actually creating more pain.
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    i have had same problem with asking for a air mattress from doctors nhs etc. no help when u are in pain in wigan, but if it was liverpool the nhs would give me one on long term loan. bloody mad.:mad::(
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Doctors shouldn't be advising people to go for Tempur. They reason they do is because Tempur were the first to produce memory foam mattresses, and are therefore the biggest name. However they are far from being the best. In fact they came out bottom in the Which magazine report on memory foam mattresses.

Tempur mattresses are a layer of reflex foam with a layer of memory foam on top. Reflex foam only mattresses have long been regarded as cheap and nasty, hot and sweaty mattresses. So in effect they have just taken one of these horrible mattresses, and glued a layer of memory foam to it.

Before memory foam the best type of mattress for back support was pocket sprung. This is because the springs all work independently, and contour to your body, giving far better support than reflex foam or open coil springs ever could.

So obviously a mattress that is pocket sprung with memory foam will be by far the best for support. And you can get a top quality one that is two sided so it will last longer, for about a third of the price of the very over priced Tempur mattress. And it will give better support, as well as being cooler.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have a good enough mattress, have you looked into a memory foam topper? This is 2" of memory foam. I have one and it works fine for me.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    I had to return my tempur mattress as it didn't actually help with easing the problem I have, sleeping without pain.

Although they are advertised as curing these nighttime problems, that isn't always the case.

Have a look at other mattresses available as well, rather than just thinking about the tempur :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • if you have a local"poundstretcher store"nearby check them out they often have excellent offers on memory foam mattresses with single size from around £99
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    woodbine wrote: »
    if you have a local"poundstretcher store"nearby check them out they often have excellent offers on memory foam mattresses with single size from around £99

I wouldn't for back problems, as they will be very low quality and spec, reflex foam and memory foam mattresses, and could actually make the OP's back worse.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    What! are doing them cheap as well only i can never get the double size i want, are these nasty as well...
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills