PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, :)

We have an earlier thread which covers the merits of various overlockers, so I have added this query onto it.

You'll need to read forem the beginning to catch up.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Dusty_Moth
    Options
    Gosh, looks like I'll give Mrs Flittersnoop another shock :o

So, having read through - would the Toyota be a better purchase than the Sewlock? Or should I splash out the extra for the Necchi (there's a good £40 in it and I want to get her something good but am also not the most flush person right now!!)?
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought a Janome overlocker and am v. excited (sad but true!). I have watched the dvd and had a play and have also rethreaded it.
    Now I want to use it!!!! but of course need loads of thread.
    Can anyone advise me on the best threads to use for man made fibres and also the best place to buy thread cheaply.
    Thanks in advance.

Have a look at Empress Mills, they sell thrread and also the fancy threads for doing various things wih the overlocker...you use ordinary thread in the needles and the thicker thread in the loopers.

Empress Mills.co.uk.

I have used their threads for piecing and sewing, its excellent thread at a very reasonable price, you can also get a colour chart from them.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Mrs Flittersnoop :o I know you go into shock each time this thread re-appears.

Just looking for your advise on postage when buying from abroad.

Have posted the question on the sewing thread. :D
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Now Rikki, what are you trying to do to me :rotfl: I'm not as young and healthy as I was.....:p

Anyway I've kind of answered you on the sewing thread (ha, that makes me smile every time, how sad am I), but you know you can always PM me.

I haven't seen this thread for a while so have failed to help anyone else for which I apologise. Dusty Moth, as far as I know all overlockers cut the fabric as they sew, that's how they neaten the edge (by slicing off the edge and then over sewing it). I don't know very much about any overlockers I'm afraid, just my own Elna which I have had a love/hate relationship with for about 12 years.

The only way to really decide on what machine you would like is to try them out I'm afraid, everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm sorry, that's really not very helpful I know.

Having said that, if I had unlimited funds (ha! not a chance as I spend all my spare dosh on fabric and patterns) I would definitely buy a Bernina overlocker as I have a Bernina sewing machine and absolutely love it. The Elna is good but it's the Bernina I would risk life and limb for to rescue in a fire.

Mrs Fx
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Bernina Mrs FLittersnoop. Not done a huge amount with it yet, but please with what I have done..... several sets of curtains. THe new ones for the sitting room, also butchered the old ones OS and made them fit the spare room, until such time as I can get new ones for there. Did DS some new ones as well.

Have also given my dusters a neaten up. How sad is that? I have some dusters that used to be red flannelette sheets in a former existence! I did them when I first got married (nearly 22 yrs ago) and they're still going fine....well apart from the ones that my DH had purloined for dubious DIY purposes!

next project is to put a border on a tablecloth that I have that is 'just' too small for the dining table. It's one that belonged to my gran, is white with a blue willow pattern design round it.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Dusty_Moth
    Dusty_Moth Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs Flittersnoop - thank you! I purchased a reconditioned Elna overlocker in the end having seen it in action at my local sewing shop, and it came home ready threaded! My mum was so excited she squeaked, I think that's a good sign!!

I accidently purchased a Janome machine for myself whilst I was I was in there too (it slipped into my pocket and my purse fell out on the counter and that was that) so I might have to start frequenting the sewing threads too!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dusty_Moth wrote: »
    Mrs Flittersnoop - thank you! I purchased a reconditioned Elna overlocker in the end having seen it in action at my local sewing shop, and it came home ready threaded! My mum was so excited she squeaked, I think that's a good sign!!

I accidently purchased a Janome machine for myself whilst I was I was in there too (it slipped into my pocket and my purse fell out on the counter and that was that) so I might have to start frequenting the sewing threads too!

I was resisting joining in with any other threads... but....... eek!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Dusty_Moth wrote: »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just as long as I don't get the blame!! Good for you, I hope you have many sewing hours of enjoyment with it.

Mrs F xxx
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I have a Bernina Mrs FLittersnoop. Not done a huge amount with it yet, but please with what I have done..... several sets of curtains. THe new ones for the sitting room, also butchered the old ones OS and made them fit the spare room, until such time as I can get new ones for there. Did DS some new ones as well.

Have also given my dusters a neaten up. How sad is that? I have some dusters that used to be red flannelette sheets in a former existence! I did them when I first got married (nearly 22 yrs ago) and they're still going fine....well apart from the ones that my DH had purloined for dubious DIY purposes!

next project is to put a border on a tablecloth that I have that is 'just' too small for the dining table. It's one that belonged to my gran, is white with a blue willow pattern design round it.

Sounds fantastic, addictive isn't it? :T :rotfl:

My poor OH is convinced that in an emergency I would only take (a) the cat and (b) the Bernina, he knows his place :rotfl:

Mrs F, who has just cut out a jacket from the dreamiest cashmere/wool, just got to do all the boring markings and interfacings now, my unfavourite part :rolleyes: x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure