PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Options

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Rikki, what is it you're sewing? I have only used my ordinary overlocking foot for elastic.

You sew elastic on in much the same way as you would using a sewing machine. Whatever you do, do NOT SEW OVER PINS, you will damage or break the cutting knife (ask me how I know this :rolleyes: ). Pin the elastic to the edge or whatever it is you're sewing, having stretched it evenly along the edge and pinned it at intervals (pins placed at right angles help to keep the elastic under control), then carefully start overlocking the two edges (i.e. the elastic and the fabric) together TAKING OUT THE PINS BEFORE THE KNIFE GETS THERE :rotfl::rotfl:. You have to stretch the elastic with your left hand as well as trying to control the fabric underneath it with your right and also guide the whole shebang under the foot, it IS possible, despite looking and sounding complicated, just takes practice.

I would suggest you try something fairly simple first, like maybe an elasticated waistband which is a reasonably long run of stitching.

I use soft elastic for waistbands which is about 20mm wide, I haven't tried getting it over here but usually buy it in reels from the States, where they call it 'pajama elastic'. It's soft and wide and has good recovery. Let me know if you want me to post a link.

Guess who! :o

Can I have a link for the elastic please? :D
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Hi Rikki. Sorry, I didn't get online yesterday and missed your message. OK I see the Sewing Place doesn't do this elastic any more :mad: but you could try

http://www.fabric.com/notions-patterns-sewing-notions-elastics-sewing-notions-2-action-sports-elastic.aspx

which I think is what I have here. They also do it in black (further down the page).

Beware though, this is a bit of a tempting site ;)

The Sewing Place does do this elastic though:

http://www.thesewingplace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=997

which is a firmer elastic, but very good.

Another link is Louise Cutting's site:

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=5155318752485155&Store_id=516&page_id=23&Item_ID=1167

I've used this too, it's fine. But the website is rubbish so I lose patience with it most of the time ;)

HTH

Mrs F x
  • Rikki
    Options
    The sewing place was the one I was looking at as it has the pattern I want to buy and was hoping to add the elastic to the order.

Thanks for the links. :T

:think: The sewing place elastic has the help I might need too. :rotfl:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    The sewing place was the one I was looking at as it has the pattern I want to buy and was hoping to add the elastic to the order.

Thanks for the links. :T

No problem. As always I'm happy to force other people into my bad habits :rotfl:

Mrs F x
  • Rikki
    Options
    No problem. As always I'm happy to force other people into my bad habits :rotfl:

Mrs F x

As long as you start putting your spare change in my money jar. :p

NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    As long as you start putting your spare change in my money jar. :p

Spare change? What spare change? I have children, don't forget!!:p :rotfl:
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone used Jaycotts Moon Economy thread? Seems good value at 99p for 1000yds. Any thoughts anyone? Have just retrieved overlocker from the loft, after reading this thread. Thanks for getting me in the mood to use it again.
  • Rikki
    Options
    Jazzy_B wrote: »
    Has anyone used Jaycotts Moon Economy thread? Seems good value at 99p for 1000yds. Any thoughts anyone? Have just retrieved overlocker from the loft, after reading this thread. Thanks for getting me in the mood to use it again.

I use the moon economy thread with no problems.

As for getting you in the mood to use your overlocker. We refuse to be blamed for any bad spending habits you may fall into. :p:D

NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    I use the moon economy thread with no problems.

As for getting you in the mood to use your overlocker. We refuse to be blamed for any bad spending habits you may fall into. :p:D
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just to add to Ricki's note, I haven't ever used this thread but to be honest the quality of overlocker thread is not really that important, most of it doesn't actually go through the needle and as long as it's not knotted or frayed it should work OK.

Have fun with your overlocker! I've just used mine for the first time in ages to neaten the edges of yet more fabric that I've bought and which needs pre-washing.......

Mrs F xx
  • Rikki
    Options
    Where can I get the fluffy ( not the technical name I'm sure) cotton to roll edge a table cloth?

It might be easier to look if I knew the proper name. :o

NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport