DWP, Medicals

Options

Comments

• cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    Katykat wrote: »
    I'm afraid Cit-k is correct. Unfortunately, due to a few benefits spongers, it seems ALL claimants are treated the same ie as if they are all trying to fleece the system. We have to remember that there are genuinely sick people out there and they should be treated with respect. Many of them have worked for 40+ yrs and at a time of their lives when they need help they have to go into these medicals with trepidation and suspicion. I agree with the recording, however it would be inadmissible and would be purely for your own perusal. DWP have this absurd rule that if you want the process recording, you have to apply for permission from them, and they insist it is recorded by a qualified sound engineer with the correct professional equipment. They say its to prevent any tampering with the recording, but really its because they know that this type of recording is way beyond the means of Joe Public. Azores, investigate whether you really need to pay any more NI contributions. It is only for your state pension, not as Oldernotwiser says, to do with sickness benefits, as you dont qualify for them anyway. Personally, i think if you dont need to top up your NI contributions I wouldn't put myself through the hassle of the medical.

It can be admitted as evidence to a tribunal, although that decision is up to the actual tribunal. It has been done before, and is perfectly legal, its just up to the tribunal if they allow the evidence.

Tribunals are open to more evidence sources than a normal court of law.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    azules wrote: »
    What type of equipment were you using
    if would have to be decent to catch what was being siad
    but yet be hidden

You can use a mobile phone (test if first), or a mini digital dictation machine (rather cheap on ebay).

I got one from ebay for about 20 quid (may have even been less, my memory sucks) - it's tiny, silent, no tapes (as digital), good quality, sensitive microphone, records for hours (could record most of the day if I wanted to).

You can even get keyfobs that record audio and video, or lighters that record audio and video, backpacks that record, etc (you can get a fob that looks like a car key fob, that records audio and video for less than a tenner) however reliablity can be a concern with those, so it should be a backup rather than main item (phone/dictaphone)
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I find it difficult to believe that people are advocating secret recording. How would you like someone to secretly film you when you are doing your job or doing about your daily business? I personally would be livid.

You don't need to record it, just take someone along with you as two heads are better than one.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not slinging the lead

Can I just point out that the phrase is swinging the lead - not slinging. It apparently comes from when sailors used to use lines weighted with lead in order to check how deep the water was beneath their ships. The lazier mariners skimped on the task and just swung the lead in the air, calling out a fictitious depth.

Lesson over :D
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    Options
    I find it difficult to believe that people are advocating secret recording. How would you like someone to secretly film you when you are doing your job or doing about your daily business? I personally would be livid.

You don't need to record it, just take someone along with you as two heads are better than one.

Who cares if Atos are livid or not - if they did their jobs right in the first place, people wouldn't have to record them.

They've got a name now for lying, so it's best that people come prepared.

Besides, the government can record us - so why not the other way around?

To the OP, once again, go with the secret recording - you could very well end up regretting it if you don't.

Taking another person will boil down to a case of 'their word against ours'.
  • azules
    azules Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    viktory wrote: »
    Can I just point out that the phrase is swinging the lead - not slinging. It apparently comes from when sailors used to use lines weighted with lead in order to check how deep the water was beneath their ships. The lazier mariners skimped on the task and just swung the lead in the air, calling out a fictitious depth.

Lesson over :D

Vicktory

You are so right
    This is my own fault as I type too fast
    and very rarely check my message before I send it
    less haste is another one
    that I at least should take head from
  • azules
    Options

Well I am considering doing this, only because I have heard so many stories down the years of the Doctors lying.
    this is why I first came on here to ask opinion about the medical.

If these people were not so under handed, we would not even have to resort to this type of thing.

I am not hppy with the thought of doing it I may add
    but what is the alternative
    as someone mentioned on here, even if you take another head with you.
    you are calling a doctor a liar, authority will always fall on the side of the profesional I think.
  • azules
    Options
    FTW wrote: »
    Just a mobile phone with a voice record facility (not a great one, but it worked well enough). Tucked into a pocket, a bag, an envelope, it'll do the job - provided whatever it's hidden in doesn't get moved around too much.

A dictaphone (obtainable cheaply enough from EBay) will work just as well.

Although my phone is a pretty good one,
    would a voice recording facilty from a mobile phone
    actually last long enough for an interview that long
  • azules
    Options
    cit_k wrote: »
    You can use a mobile phone (test if first), or a mini digital dictation machine (rather cheap on ebay).

I got one from ebay for about 20 quid (may have even been less, my memory sucks) - it's tiny, silent, no tapes (as digital), good quality, sensitive microphone, records for hours (could record most of the day if I wanted to).

You can even get keyfobs that record audio and video, or lighters that record audio and video, backpacks that record, etc (you can get a fob that looks like a car key fob, that records audio and video for less than a tenner) however reliablity can be a concern with those, so it should be a backup rather than main item (phone/dictaphone)

I appriciate the thought you put into this guys
    but I must point out 20 quid may not sound much
    but when you aint worked for near on a year your only income is from you wife with two kids to feed
    20 quid is a lot to spend on something that would only be used once

thanks anyhow
  • FTW
    FTW Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    Options
    Although my phone is a pretty good one,
    would a voice recording facilty from a mobile phone
    actually last long enough for an interview that long

Depends how much stuff is already on the phone. I had to delete a few easily replaceable clips and music tracks to have enough space to record. As long as you have about 40 minutes of recording time, you should be OK - but be ready to set record away at the right time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure