MSE News: Tesco cuts rewards in Clubcard overhaul

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The supermarket giant says the revamp, which starts on 6 December, is vital to ensure the scheme is sustainable ..."

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,983 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wonder how much profit Tesco can book by making this change and devaluing all those points that have been issued but not redeemed?!
    I think....
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Darnit - better get our summer holiday booked asap!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    Thin edge of the wedge. Next it will be two times - just like most of Tesco's own stuff. Don't use Tesco much now, anyway, due to their over pricing. Just pop in there for all the cheap stuff such as Tesco Value - everything else is much cheaper elsewhere!!
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Bound to happen at some point with the double points.

Glad I used the scheme to its full advantage.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Cancel those Tesco credit cards and get cashback cards. They were already poor value and now will be even worse!
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    There have been lots of subtle changes in the deals recently, mostly changing from using vouchers to 'buy in full'. One I noticed was Woburn - went from being £16 in days out vouchers to a buy in full £6 charge for children/adults - a huge increase. Hopefully this was in readiness for the changes and won't decrease in value again.

Can't say I'm surprised, it's been very good for a long time now.
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Mumto2 wrote: »
    There have been lots of subtle changes in the deals recently, mostly changing from using vouchers to 'buy in full'. One I noticed was Woburn - went from being £16 in days out vouchers to a buy in full £6 charge for children/adults - a huge increase. Hopefully this was in readiness for the changes and won't decrease in value again.

Can't say I'm surprised, it's been very good for a long time now.
    Agree with you Mumto2, we had it good for while, it was good while it lasted.

The scheme is still going to be good (if you shop at Tesco anyway especially), just not as good. Of course it is dissapointing, but I am not going to shout "murder to Tesco" over it.

Something had to give earlier or later. Either prices rising to sustain it or rewards going down.

michaels wrote: »
    I wonder how much profit Tesco can book by making this change and devaluing all those points that have been issued but not redeemed?!

What a ridiculous statement...
    You can't blame Tesco for that. Only the people that are not going to redeem and that is their choice.

Tesco is giving enough notice to redeem.
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    Don't agree Any. Some are saving these points up, and aren't ready to use them yet :mad:
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    "Every little helps"

Any chance they'll be adding Tesco shares to their rewards programme? :D
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Any wrote: »
    Agree with you Mumto2, we had it good for while, it was good while it lasted.

The scheme is still going to be good (if you shop at Tesco anyway especially), just not as good. Of course it is dissapointing, but I am not going to shout "murder to Tesco" over it.

Something had to give earlier or later. Either prices rising to sustain it or rewards going down.

I agree

I think we've been expecting the scheme to be 'reviewed' for a while - once little changes started to be made here and there, it was just a question of when.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business