🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

what is the shortest period you've had a job

Options
Well as the title suggests, in terms of service what has your shortest job you ever had been.??

I start this off at 2 hours..

Comments

• Vomityspice
    Options
    It might be more interesting to have details of what the job was and why you left (or were forced to leave).
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    4 hours was mine.

Was at Uni and got a part time job over the holidays and half term, went to the job and was told that we had to stuff these envelopes put a letter in plus some info. We all did this with numerous paper cuts, and boredom.

Went to lunch, got back and the supervisor came over and said

"All those letters that you stuffed need to reopened as we gave you the wrong info to put in"

My reply was along the lines of

" you can do it your f*****g self and walked out never to return.
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    ok i was 17 and left because i just didnt like it, and it was at a sock factory.
  • starson79
    Options
    There were several - 1.5 days in an accountants office as an assistant. Wish I had stayed now - I could have been a qualified accountant by now! Felt like I was in a cellar though.Old dark building.

Kitchen assistant - just under a month. Manager was an a**hole. I walked out during the shift.

High-street fashion outlet - about 2 - 3 months. Staff were expected to arrive 15 minutes early for the shift - but didn't get paid for it. If you didn't arrive before 8:45am they wouldn't come open the front door for you until opening time (9am). That happened one too many a time - I told the manager "Fu*k this sh*t" and walked out - I felt great!!

That's the only time I have been rude though. Most of the time I just skulked out and didn't come back!

Now that I'm older of course I'm more concerned about keeping jobs and doing well. If I get a nuisance at work I am less worried about it and deal with it appropriately. It's the summer / junior jobs which are the cr*p. Managers think they can treat you like scum. Not anymore though!
    DEBT-FREE AS OF JULY 2012!!!
    £8639.00 paid off since Sept 2009 :T
    Well Done Me!!
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    1 day. Working on a factory line packing plastic lid things on my own. I had to go get the flat boxes, make them up, pack them, seal them, then stack them up. All the while lids were flying off the end of the line at me at a great rate of knots. Floor was covered in them. I don't know if someone was messing me around, or if you were exected to do it that fast and I was just rubbish, but I didn't go back the next day.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Winky,_The_House_Elf
    Options
    A friend was the best, he'd re-located from South Wales, as a Quality Control Manager in manufacturing, 45 mins into his induction they announced they were letting 200 staff go... including him! He did get paid for 3 months though as compensation, nice work if you can get it.
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    1 hour telemarketing when I was really short of work. I went through the training and calls and got a manager on the second headset of the phone egg me on to convince a stay at home father to agree to an appointment for new soffets etc when you could clearly hear he knew the wife would kill him if he did.

When we went on break I told them I wasn't any good at this and we agreed to leave it there!
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    king100 wrote: »
    4 hours was mine.

Was at Uni and got a part time job over the holidays and half term, went to the job and was told that we had to stuff these envelopes put a letter in plus some info. We all did this with numerous paper cuts, and boredom.

Went to lunch, got back and the supervisor came over and said

"All those letters that you stuffed need to reopened as we gave you the wrong info to put in"

My reply was along the lines of

" you can do it your f*****g self and walked out never to return.

63 minutes! Same job, same circumstances, but in a freezing cold factory and pallets of paper amongst which the boss smoked - and no fire exits or equipment. In fact - almost the same quote from me too!
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    2 hours..
    14 years old and got a job on a Market Stall on Saturdays.
    Sold a coat for £10 should have been £25, turned up in a purple crochet hat with a huge pink flower on it, glitter eyeshadow and HUGE FLAIRS and PLATFORM SHOES. Then I put 2 spoonfulls of sugar in his cup of Bovril from the cafe..

:D
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Zero.

I didn't go in on the first day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport