18866/1899 Registration Problems (merged threads)

Options
The call1899 site wouldn't allow me to register my Visa Debit Card. I think it may only take credit cards. It seemed happy to register me but the confirmation email they sent me told me my card had a problem. After 4 attempts I gave up. Every other site I use the card with has no problem with this card. No problems with call 18866 however.

Comments

• dsinclair999
    Options
    Funny, I had the same problem with the 18866 site, always got an email back saying that my card verification had failed, despite having tried one debit card and two credit cards. Unfortunately they don't answer their emails so have never managed to register. No problem with the 1899 site tho!!

Regards

DS
    Nice to save.
  • dsinclair999
    Options
    I have tried to register with the 18866 site, but the confirmation email they send tells me my card had a problem and thus registration failed. I have tried with a debit card and 2 different credit cards with the same result. I have always been very careful in entering the info accurately as well.

Unfortunately they don't answer their emails so have never managed to register which is a real shame (as their connection charge for free UK calls is only 1p as opposed to 1899's 3p). No problem with the 1899 site when I originally registered tho!

It wouldn't be because I'm already registered with the 1899 site, would it??
    Nothing about this in the T&C's.

Any advice fellow MSE'ers?

Regards

DS
    Nice to save.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Any advice fellow MSE'ers?
    No. I'm with both.
    Don't know. Try again
  • noramc
    noramc Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I think I might be able to shed a little light on the subject...

I was previously with 18866 and wanted to change it so that my housemate would pay for it (with their permission of course!) and so I unsubscribed. This was at the beginning of January. Then I tried to subscribe them and that failed a number of times. So I tried to resubscribe myself and it failed again and again.

From what I understand they are working at full capacity and cannot take on any more subscribers(?) - this must be due at least in part to the success of this website and also the specific mention of 18866 in the recent Guardian article.

I would maybe keep trying over the next wee while.

Martin - any advice MSE Mastermind?!
    :) noramc :)
  • dsinclair999
    Options
    Cheers guys,

I'll just keep trying.

Regards

DS
    Nice to save.
  • rockrat
    rockrat Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    i have try'd now for about three days to register with both 18866 and 1899 and the page refuses to load.
    if you are having the same problems then you will note that the first page offers those with IE5 or lower the chance to go to an unsecure registration page.
    this works........hhhmmmm surprise surprise!!

i have however taken note from all those posting here that calim to never have had an issue with either of these sites, and that the previous unsecure pages caused no problems and have chosen to register via this route.

time will tell.
    also i have registered with tele2 for free weekend and evening calls and bought a orchid dialler to control all the prefixes.
  • monty58
    monty58 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with call18866/call1899 for quite a while and have never had any problems.....until now!

As other banks do, mine sent me a new debit card when 'chip + pin' came in. So I updated my details with every website I use such as paypal etc. and did the same with call18866. I couldn't do it with call1899 because I kept getting the message 'Error Please Try Again Later'. I assumed that there was something wrong with their website and that they'd get it fixed and I would indeed try again later. Lo and behold I get an e-mail from them telling me that my direct debit failed and that I owe them the princely sum of £3.32. Well of course it failed because they were taking payments from my old card. So I go back to their website to change my payment details and after 34 million attempts I still get 'Error Please Try Again Later'. Getting rather angry and somewhat pi**ed off I e-mail customer services several times but haven't had one single reply. The repercussions of this are serious. Other credit card companies will have had this 'debt' posted to them and consequently for the moment I am blacklisted. There is no customer hotline to phone; no human being to speak to so that I can get this sorted. I believe that if it continues I am entitled to legal redress but I don't want to go down that route. It's not that I won't pay; they won't let me! If anyone has found a way to get in touch with this lot apart from e-mailing them please, please let me know! Never mind new customers beware; it's the old ones that have got to be wary!
    Ne illegitimi carbunculi tibi in facie sint
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    My line is registered with both 18866 and 1899 too.

If you find you're able to register with one but not the other, then it could be that your line is already registered. Perhaps your registration was processed twice - or maybe the email response went wrong, and told you that your card was rejected even when it wasn't. Stranger things have happened ... so it's worth checking.

I think that when you click the "signup now" button, it always tells you the registration has been successful - even when it hasn't been. :p You'll only get an email later on, to tell you that it's either failed, or to give you your account number. Which isn't very helpful - especially if you accidentally give an incorrect email address.

If you're not sure whether your line is registered or not, then call 08081701708 for 18866 - or 08081701899 for 1899. If your line is registered, it will tell you your account number - you can then use this to sign in to your account on the web site. If your line is not registered, it will tell you that too.
    :p
  • onzey
    onzey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    monty58

When I had problems trying to sign up to 1899 last year I did get a couple of emails from them (and I don't think were automated replies) and they came from

service@call1899.co.uk

Not sure if it's the address used when you send email via their website (assuming that's what you've done so far) but you could try it just in case it helps you contact them. Also, I think there's something you can set with your email to ask for an acknowledgement. Of course, wether you would get even this, remains to be seen.
  • niteowl_2
    Options
    I thought I'd successfully registered today on call1899 after all my details had been accecpted.

Then got the email saying:
    "Unfortunately your 1899 internet registration has failed. Our apologies, but due to lack of capacity it is currently not possible to register."

It would be better to close registration and say they are full, so you don't waste time filling in all the details including payment.

Has anyone else had this email?

Niteowl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family