Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Join a local Oil Buying Group and then you can order smaller amounts but still enjoy the savings.

You can see on this link the prices our Group have enjoyed
    over recent years, and how price has changed :)

http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
  • enator
    enator Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't know if it's the same where you are, but here in Scotland the price-per-litre is always cheaper if you order a minimum of 900 litres. I filled up last week with 1100 litres and paid 31.0p plus vat. But of the ( about 8 ) companies I phoned around for quotes, the prices ranged from 31 to 46 ppl - a huge difference !

I know that ordering 1000 litres or more is a big hit out of the bank balance at once - but it can be worth it due to the lower cost-per-litre.

What we do is have a separate account for the oil, and just pay a standing order for £100 a month into it. When we need to buy oil, pay it from that account. It's not much different from when we were on mains gas and had a DD set up. Of course it varies across the year - it's 7 months since I last filled up, but I'll probably fill up again just after ( or even before, *gulp* ) Christmas. But it evens out, and just sticking a regular amount into a separate account every month usually works out OK.

This is not meant to be a criticism in any way, just hoping it may help others ! We moved to rural Scotland 8 years ago, and until then had enjoyed mains gas all our life. The idea of oil frightened us ! But actually, if you approach it logically, it ain't that much different at all :T

Thanks for the tips :), but my tank was virtually full hence the 500 litres. Decided to brim it because of the weather forecast predicting a cold snap along with the steadily increasing prices.

Really hope it doesn't go back to 65p a litre :(
  • The_Last_Username
    Options
    enator wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips :), but my tank was virtually full hence the 500 litres. Decided to brim it because of the weather forecast predicting a cold snap along with the steadily increasing prices.

Really hope it doesn't go back to 65p a litre :(
    Me too.
    Though the signs from the oil industry together with their mutterings suggest that oil will remain below $60/barrel until at least 2021 and in fact suggest that another significant drop will come soon unless OPEC really do reduce output, which looks unlikely.

Heck, a lot can happen though as we know, eh?
    But for now, considering oil prices & exchange rates it is still relatively cheap and may just get cheaper, winter or not.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    900 ltrs for£314 here today

Hopefully that's it till march
  • jaff
    Options
    Having just had a quote at £440 for 1000 litres - what should I do? I realise that oil prices have recently shot up due to this OPEC deal cutting oil supplies - do people think this will continue to rise into next year? Or do you think I should wait to next spring/summer before buying some more? I'm not desperate but would like to get it at a reasonable price. I've tried to research but I guess no-one has a crystal ball.
  • suki1964
    Options
    jaff wrote: »
    Having just had a quote at £440 for 1000 litres - what should I do? I realise that oil prices have recently shot up due to this OPEC deal cutting oil supplies - do people think this will continue to rise into next year? Or do you think I should wait to next spring/summer before buying some more? I'm not desperate but would like to get it at a reasonable price. I've tried to research but I guess no-one has a crystal ball.

That's quite high at 44p compared to 38p here

Unfortunately with the £ in the pits and demand being high, that can easily be your market price

Just thank dog it's not back in the high 70's , mid 80's as it was not a zillion years ago
  • fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    See our oil club's price history on left of this page:

http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 December 2016 at 7:07PM
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    That's quite high at 44p compared to 38p here
    44p inc VAT?

I've just moved into an oil home in Beds, and got 750l on 1st Nov via the village 'club' lady @37.95p/l + vat or as near as makes no difference £300 inc vat = 40p/l.

Prices have risen since, I know.

@jaff: All you can do is ring around all your local suppliers to get quotes for the oil you want and see if there is an oil club locally. Assuming you aren't in a hurry for delivery when most will charge a premium.

I'm not sure my local 'club' got an especially good price, although it was similar to fueltool estimates; but I didn't have to pay up front and the Oil company billed me a few weeks later. :T and it kept it all very local.

Chievely gets exceptionally cheap oil deals from the look of it :j
  • suki1964
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    44p inc VAT?

I've just moved into an oil home in Beds, and got 750l on 1st Nov via the village 'club' lady @37.95p/l + vat or as near as makes no difference £300 inc vat = 40p/l.

Prices have risen since, I know.

@jaff: All you can do is ring around all your local suppliers to get quotes for the oil you want and see if there is an oil club locally. Assuming you aren't in a hurry for delivery when most will charge a premium.

I'm not sure my local 'club' got an especially good price, although it was similar to fueltool estimates; but I didn't have to pay up front and the Oil company billed me a few weeks later. :T and it kept it all very local.

Chievely gets exceptionally cheap oil deals from the look of it :j

Yes that was including VAT

Look at cheaper oil NI. It's very detailed for NI but it covers the uk. You can see price trends over as long as you want.

Best tool for us in NI for negotiating a good price
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2017 at 8:35AM
    Options
    cheapest I could get this time was 42.4 from woldlink,
    have to pay little extra as only the small tankers can get to my home
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing