New Post Advanced Search

Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

1K replies 647.2K views

Replies

• I have waited all summer and no movement at all

Looks like we will never see the prices we had 18 months ago ever again

:-(
  • Can any one help me? I use my compuer approx 10 hrs a day or more and I was told it is expensive to keep on all time, is this true? And can you help by letting me know how much it may cost?
  • Hi Poppet, I think you may have posted your question in the wrong place as this topic is related to heating oil prices, perhaps you would be better asking your question on the techie or gas and electric forums, not sure if this is the right place though.
    I hope this helps you. xxxx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • adw_2adw_2 Forumite
    10 posts
    Hi we have just paid 29p ltr through tankfiller.co.uk and only had to have 800ltrs. There may be better deals if you buy more but we didn't have the cash:rolleyes:
  • I again shopped round as per my post No. 60, and managed to price haggle with Emo Oil for 1500 litres @ 29.95ppl. I could have got it slightly cheaper with one of the others, but we still have an account with Emo, and we are unbeleivably in credit (£274.00), so decided to order with them for that reason, and the fact that we have actually run out of oil ( lots of legitimate reasons why) and they were the quickest delivery.
    Hope that this information helps someone. xx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • Do you all get your boilers serviced annually? This will mean that they run efficiently and therefore use less fuel.
  • mattt44mattt44 Forumite
    118 posts
    I don't get mine serviced annually, I know I should, but it seems to be working fine.

We filled up with 1000 litres middle of last month. Got a quote from boilerjuice of 27.4 I think. Yobco couldn't match it. Rang a local supplier my next door neighbour uses, he needed 2000 litres as well and we all got it for 26.4, I think he may have been slightly less because he had more.

You have got to just screw them into the ground, I hate doing it, but it is the only way.

The delivery driver said he thought it was unusally cheap.
  • agalagal Forumite
    282 posts
    mattt44 wrote:
    I don't get mine serviced annually, I know I should, but it seems to be working fine.

Yes, but how much extra oil are you using each year that you don't get it serviced, 5%, 10%? I don't know the figure but it probably negates all your good "negotiating" work in buying the oil at a cheaper price.
  • On the subject of let us say "fluctuating" oil prices. Through the medium of our local village magazine here in North Essex, we have formed a syndicate which is growing fast but we get a delivery every 1/4 and as long as we all need over 450l we get a top up at discount rate. Last time, we saved 6p per litre which was a decent saving when buying 1000l.

I would recommend any village / group does the same. I coord our syndicate with an email every month to check levels and confirm next delivery date. The oil company holds all payment details and bills seperately. Everyone wins and the oil coy is prepared to only make 0.5p per litre profit as a result. Our last order delivered 8500l and if we ever get to 50000l the coy will reduce the price even further.

For those of us with Agas / Rayburns who fill oil tanks three times a year, it should save us around £180 - not to be scoffed at.
  • mattt44mattt44 Forumite
    118 posts
    agal wrote:
    Yes, but how much extra oil are you using each year that you don't get it serviced, 5%, 10%? I don't know the figure but it probably negates all your good "negotiating" work in buying the oil at a cheaper price.
    Well obviously I don't know, but we are using around 1200 litres a year of oil, which is about £320 a year, how much does a service cost? £70? Just a guess, but that would be 22% extra a year on our oil bill.

In fact the longer we have had our new boiler, 3 years now, the less oil we seem to use.

We have also just got a woodburner, so won't use it so much the rest of the winter. And we have gas detectors around, so I'm not worried about that side of it.
    Looking at the seemingly limited life of new boilers, around 10 years expected I believe because of the electronics, it seems better to start saving for the next one.

I will have it serviced this summer, but I bet not much needs doing to it.