Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I still think the best way is to call around. Boiler juices best price was 50.99l, called round and to start that was looking a good price, but eventually got it for 49.0 per litre from normal supplier. But even so OMG I can remember paying 8p a litre once about 12 years ago and it was around 12p for years, this year has really hurt the bank balance.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • chango_2
    Options
    Just received my statement from Bayfords Oil Co. for Kerosene, delivered 18th. Feb. at 45.25p. per litre + 5% VAT. Reading the threads everyone mentions 24p or 25p. Am I using something different? Any help please.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chango wrote: »
    Just received my statement from Bayfords Oil Co. for Kerosene, delivered 18th. Feb. at 45.25p. per litre + 5% VAT. Reading the threads everyone mentions 24p or 25p. Am I using something different? Any help please.
    Look at the dates of the posts.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • cakey
    cakey Posts: 337 Forumite
    Options
    So who is the cheapest. What is the best price comparison to use. i used boiler juice and they work out a lot more expensive than going direct. i ended up going to bayford oil, but even then it had gine up £20 in 3 months!!!
    STARTING BALANCE JAN 09 £47,400
    Debt left 24th December 2010 - 13611!!!!!:j
    Update may 2013 - debt left £8000
    Update oct 2014 - £2500
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone actually get a cheap price with Boiler Juice?
    Today, they quoted me 50.75p/l and I managed to get it with Total Butler for 45p/l (still expensive, but the best available quote).
    Vikki
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year went in with a neighbour and wanted to order 3000 ltrs, we rang round the local ones and then got a quote from BJ, it was cheaper, we then rang back our cheapest local company and got them to drop the price cheaper than BJ.
    This year the same company, straight away much cheaper than BJ.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • caris
    caris Posts: 730 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

We have just had a 1000 litres of domestic heating oil delivered and it cost us £486.00 from Total Butler, far cheaper than any of the other companies that quoted us for the same quantity.

Caris
  • ralph_wilson
    Options
    Spoke to W.C.F. today and they were 3.5p/Ltr cheaper than BJ. They also reckoned that there could be a possible further saving of 1.5p/Ltr if a group of 5 houses bought 1000Ltrs each (£15 saving each) and a possible saving of 2.5p/Ltr if it were 10 houses (£25 saving each).
    So It looks like if you talk to your close neibhours you could beat BJ by a hefty margin.

Ralph.
  • sarmit25
    Options
    Hi, I'm just about to buy a house which has oil as opposed to gas, having never experienced oil before i have no idea of cost of maintenance or running costs, could anybody please give me a simple comparison as too the price differences, thanks alot, steve
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    sarmit25 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just about to buy a house which has oil as opposed to gas, having never experienced oil before i have no idea of cost of maintenance or running costs, could anybody please give me a simple comparison as too the price differences, thanks alot, steve

Welcome to the forum.

A litre of oil produces approx 10kWh.

So taking the current price of oil at approx 50p/litre, it works out at around 5p for a kWh.

Gas costs are currently a little under 3p for a kWh.

So oil is approx 60% more expensive to run than gas.

The other factor is the efficiency of your boiler. For both gas and oil boilers that can vary from, say, 50% to 95%.

If you have a highly efficient gas boiler and your future oil boiler is old and inefficient you could be looking at triple the running costs. The other way around and the costs would be similar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback