Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello. Come and live in the highlands of Scotland, we are paying up to 49p a ltr for oil, we use 3 tanks a year for our water and heat, it will cost us an extra £500 this year, we have cut down to have the heat on for only 5 hours a day now, with coal, wood and electric as back up , our annual fuel bill will be £2100 this year, it maybe time to change the oil for a wood burner with a back boiler as when oil prices go up so does heating oil, we have tried to cut back, what more can i do? it get's very cold up here.

My folks use Regency Oils Limited in Buckie. The last fill of 1000 litres cost just under £390 including VAT. Not sure when but they've shopped around and found them to be the cheapest deal for them. If you have friends/neighbours/work colleagues who use heating oil, perhaps you could bulk buy together through Regency.

http://www.regencyoils.com/About.htm
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Roch_2
    Options
    Well the price per ltr has certainly gone up over my worst fears. We have just paid 44p per ltr inc. VAT
    Got a quote from Boilerjuice, but this was for even more and I've found that by phoning around you can get the best deal. We now have an account with Hingley and Callow who, I find are always very competitive (I live in Worcestershire).
    But how much more can these and petrol prices rise before we re-enter the middle ages and our homes become too expensive to heat and cars so expensive to run that we can't use them.
    Government tax needs to be looked at.
  • CWatters_2
    Options
    You sure that was inc VAT ?

Yesterday (Sorry I mean Saturday) I ordered 2000L at 43.91 + Vat from Total Butler.

Web quotes were:
    BolierJuice 45.29 + Vat
    Southern Counties 45.49 + Vat
    HeatingOil.co.uk 47.48-48.5 + Vat

Delivery in PE28 (Cambridgeshire).
  • kazzymac_2
    kazzymac_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in Norfolk and yesterday ordered 1200 litres @ 0.4722pl + VAT and that was after calling around for a quote. The boiler juice website is quoting 48.2ppl. I ordered in October at 0.39ppl but when we moved up here 5 years ago i think the price was 0.19ppl - the difference is amazing. it is getting harder and harder to budget on a monthly for the oil as i am always left with a shortfall each time but the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it?
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jeez, I've just looked at the boilerjuice price history chart, looks like the price is rising to the stars, we filled up at just the right time by the looks of it about the 10th Feb. But we've still got to fill up next time :(
    This is surely going to make houses with oil heating harder to sell, if this carries on, we have definitely got to look at another way of heating the house.
    We already use a woodburner, but not all the time.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Lerv
    Lerv Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    We are in the same boat just filled up today 1200 litres cost an unbelievable £612 and we usually fill up twice a year! Wondering whether it would be better to convert to gas central heating - how on earth do you go about comparing the two (including the installation costs)?
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This link someone posted on another thread shows the costs between different fuels.
    http://www.nottenergy.com/energy-costs-comparison2
    You can see that atm 45.67 ppl on kerosene, its still cheaper than LPG on pence per KWH.
    I think we have to look further than the std heating systems offered.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • JuniperBerry_3
    Options
    Last year we needed a new boiler and oil tank and because of their cost (almost 2K) we changed from oil to LPG.
    The LPG boiler was about £500 and LPG tank cost £50 so big saving there but the fuel is working out cheaper as well.
    Those figures for fuel costs show LPG as 5% more expensive but assume boiler efficiency is the same.
    When we looked at replacement condensing boilers LPG were quite a bit more efficient, certainly more than 5% better than oil.
    Also the rules on LPG are about to change so that you can fill a tank with LPG from any supplier, the extra competition should keep prices keen.
    We are paying 35p a litre fixed for two years with no lock-in after that.
    Additional benefit is the cooker is LPG and we did have seperate bottles, no need any more, it comes from the tank and so a saving there as well.
  • wokka
    wokka Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    We've only recently moved to a house that uses Oil - only ever had gas CH in the past.

Oil running out at the moment... can anyone tell me if we should wait a few weeks or until the weather warms up... as I assume the cost will fall in the Summer months?

Thanks in advance.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oil price traditionally falls during the summer, although looking at boilerjuices oil price record (for a year) and also another one I have access to via Yobco (for two years) this doesn't appear to be the case at all.
    Anyway with the way the world is going, I don't think anyone who is likely to share their view knows where oil prices are going in the slightest. Most experts guess is "up".
    If you can wait until the summer then you won't be using the heating so can choose a bit more when to buy........... but of course the price may just keep going up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback