🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    To the right of the East coast website they are only released up to the 21st september

"If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • shadowlerossa
    Options
    To the right of the East coast website they are only released up to the 21st september

thank you so much for your help :p
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are likely to be released later this week - or by the end of next week at worst.
  • Kentlass
    Options
    Hi

Have just joined as I'm getting so confused trying to find some cheap tickets to York and am hoping someone on here will be able to help me.

We are hoping to travel to York on 13th August from Headcorn in Kent and return on 16th August, 3 adults (2 concessions, if that makes any difference) and 1 child.

I have tried looking at split tickets too but I'm just going round in circles!

TIA
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2012 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Kentlass wrote: »
    Hi

Have just joined as I'm getting so confused trying to find some cheap tickets to York and am hoping someone on here will be able to help me.

We are hoping to travel to York on 13th August from Headcorn in Kent and return on 16th August, 3 adults (2 concessions, if that makes any difference) and 1 child.

I have tried looking at split tickets too but I'm just going round in circles!

TIA
    You have no doubt seen the Super Off Peak Return at £110.50 per adult.
    That's £386.75 for your party of three adults and one child.

By using Advance Singles, that total can be reduced to £248.50.
    You must travel on the booked trains, but for a saving of nearly £140 is probably worth it.

Further savings can be made by getting a Family and Friends Railcard.
    It costs £28, but those fares mentioned above are all discounted by a third.
    So the return trip using Advance Singles becomes £182.20, total for the four of you... and that includes the £28 for the railcard.

Info from South East Trains website.

Just to add:
    If you book those Advance Singles through East Coast Trains website, you can save a further £7.60.
    Your total being £174.60 inc. railcard.

Get your railcard here.

p.s. do you have Tesco Clubcard?
    Get a railcard for £14 of vouchers.
  • catrincm
    Options
    This stuff is probably known, but I just found it out, so I'm posting in case it's not recorded elsewhere
    • The SplitTicket tool from MSE doesn't seem to work very well if the journey goes through London, as it doesn't like the changing through London using tubes bit; instead it constructs an alternative route which takes longer and just uses trains.
    • When going through London sometimes it is in fact cheaper to use your Oyster card for the change than to buy a ticket all the way through
    I discovered this when looking for a ticket from Bath to Crystal Palace
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catrincm wrote: »
    This stuff is probably known, but I just found it out, so I'm posting in case it's not recorded elsewhere
    • The SplitTicket tool from MSE doesn't seem to work very well if the journey goes through London, as it doesn't like the changing through London using tubes bit; instead it constructs an alternative route which takes longer and just uses trains.
    • When going through London sometimes it is in fact cheaper to use your Oyster card for the change than to buy a ticket all the way through
    I discovered this when looking for a ticket from Bath to Crystal Palace

Might be worth posting here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3943485
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • mc30b
    mc30b Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Does anybody know if there are any issues with splitting an annual season ticket? I travel with First Capital Connect and seems as if the direct price is £380 cheaper if I get two season tickets to cover the journey. Presumably I will need two photocards but are there any other restriction? Thanks.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mc30b wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there are any issues with splitting an annual season ticket? I travel with First Capital Connect and seems as if the direct price is £380 cheaper if I get two season tickets to cover the journey. Presumably I will need two photocards but are there any other restriction? Thanks.
    One photocard will suffice, and the train needs to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next.
  • spooky25
    spooky25 Posts: 121 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2012 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I've been looking at breaking down an advance fare for 2 from Cromer to Edinburgh return and I'm getting a little stuck on part of the journey as need to bring down the cost a little further.

Heres my problem:

Advanced purchase ticket on specific trains

Cromer- Edinburgh price £177.00 for 2 return

If I split the tickets I get the price return from

Cromer- Norwich £25.60 return for two people works out £12.80 each way

Norwich to Peterbrough £16.00 return for 2 people £8.00 each way.

Now i'm stuck as I need to find a split ticket from peterbrough to Edingburgh as a straight advance return from Peterbrough would be £73.50 each making it more expensive than purchasing an advance ticket.

Overall the split ticket total would be £188.60 making it £11.60 more than an advance fare.

Could anybody advise on the best split ticket I could do from Peterbrough to Edinburgh please.

Many Thanks

Rich :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills