Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• luckwudaveit
    Options
    spooky25 wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

I've been looking at breaking down an advance fare for 2 from Cromer to Edinburgh return and I'm getting a little stuck on part of the journey as need to bring down the cost a little further.

Heres my problem:

Advanced purchase ticket on specific trains

Cromer- Edinburgh price £177.00 for 2 return

If I split the tickets I get the price return from

Cromer- Norwich £25.60 return for two people works out £12.80 each way

Norwich to Peterbrough £16.00 return for 2 people £8.00 each way.

Now i'm stuck as I need to find a split ticket from peterbrough to Edingburgh as a straight advance return from Peterbrough would be £73.50 each making it more expensive than purchasing an advance ticket.

Overall the split ticket total would be £188.60 making it £11.60 more than an advance fare.

Could anybody advise on the best split ticket I could do from Peterbrough to Edinburgh please.

Many Thanks

Rich :)

Depends on day and times you wish to travel. A quick search on East Coast's site showed an Advance Single P'boro - York of £6.70, York - Newcastle of £5.80 then Newcastle - Edinburgh of £8. Quite if you could get these to match up on the same train, I very much doubt.

Are you able to say date of travel and your current arrival time at PBO?
  • spooky25
    spooky25 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Luckwudaveit,

Thanks for your reply, The dates i'm looking to travel are outward journey on the 7th September (fri) returning 9th sept (sun) the ealriest time I could be possibly be in PBO would be coming in from Norwich on the 06:52 wich would arrive at 08:24

Thanks

Rich
  • luckwudaveit
    luckwudaveit Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Luckwudaveit,

Thanks for your reply, The dates i'm looking to travel are outward journey on the 7th September (fri) returning 9th sept (sun) the ealriest time I could be possibly be in PBO would be coming in from Norwich on the 06:52 wich would arrive at 08:24

Thanks

Rich

(0915) PBO - NCL (1143) £85.60 for 2 people, RTN
    (1152) NCL - EDB (1325) £59.90 for 2 people, RTN

(1800) EDB - NCL (1927)
    (1928) NCL - PBO (2146)

Total cost for PBO - EDB Return for 2 people = £145.50

Marginally cheaper!
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Hi Luckwudaveit,

Thanks

Rich

Another possible option:

(1015) PBO - EDB (1415) £86.50

(1800) EDB - PBO (2146) £53.20

TOTAL for 2 = £139.70
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Hi Luckwudaveit,

Thanks

Rich

Even cheaper still would not be to do any split ticketing, based on your approx £40 costs Cromer - PBO.

(0834) Cromer - EDB (1617) £94.10
    (1200) EDB - Cromer (1826) £74.10

Total cost for 2 = £168.20
  • spooky25
    spooky25 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Even cheaper still would not be to do any split ticketing, based on your approx £40 costs Cromer - PBO.

(0834) Cromer - EDB (1617) £94.10
    (1200) EDB - Cromer (1826) £74.10

Total cost for 2 = £168.20

Thanks for that much appreciated Luck for the time and effort
    :)
  • LynnD
    LynnD Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi I'd ideally like to go from Penrith to London on 10/8 first thing, then up to Oxford later that day and back to Penrith on 12/8. Obviously this is a bad time to travel, I might have to miss London if it costs too much in which case I need a return to Oxford - I plan to book a seat as am expecting it to be chockablock - its looking like £97 for a return to Oxford and a lot more if I want to do the London bit - any advice? It's just for one adult - I don't have a rail card - age 32.
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Thanks for that much appreciated Luck for the time and effort
    :)

No probs, enjoy your trip:)
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    LynnD wrote: »
    Hi I'd ideally like to go from Penrith to London on 10/8 first thing, then up to Oxford later that day and back to Penrith on 12/8. Obviously this is a bad time to travel, I might have to miss London if it costs too much in which case I need a return to Oxford - I plan to book a seat as am expecting it to be chockablock - its looking like £97 for a return to Oxford and a lot more if I want to do the London bit - any advice? It's just for one adult - I don't have a rail card - age 32.

I haven't looked at this closely, but an option would be Transpennine Express from Penrith (0719) to Manchester Piccadilly (0927) at £11.50 then CrossCountry from MAN (1007) to OXF (1311) at £33.00. Return from OXF (1437) to MAN (1740) at £31.50 then MAN (1746) to Penrith (1935) at £11.50 - beware of tight connection at MAN, there is an earlier train from OXF at same price.

It will probably take longer, but comes in at £87.50 so saves you a tenner.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2012 at 8:53PM
    Options
    LynnD wrote: »
    An Off Peak Return from Penrith to London is £91.20 and is valid via Oxford.

The earliest train that you can leave Penrith on with that ticket is the 07:19 departure arriving at 11:04 with a change at Crewe.
    But leaving at 8am, a direct train arrives at Euston eight minutes later at 11:12.

Catch a suitable train later that day from Paddington to Oxford using the return part of that ticket. Stay as long as you like in Oxford, up to 30 days, then resume your journey from there, northwards via Birmingham, to Penrith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure