Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

edited 8 March 2013 at 3:11PM in Public Transport & Cycling
1.1K replies 232.5K views

Replies

• cjcooper wrote: »
    ok thanks guys
    I know you
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • I know you

great wonderful
  • cjcooper wrote: »
    great wonderful

Needs a comma there fella.. got any nice mixes of late?
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Can anyone help with a cheap fare for me on the 9th April travelling after 2pm from Caerphilly to durham returning the next day?
    Boiler pot £30.92/£1000
  • Try looking to split at Cardiff and then Bristol parkway. try using crosscountrys website
  • edited 17 January 2011 at 10:09PM
    StigyStigy Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 January 2011 at 10:09PM
    Broadstone wrote:
    Thank goodness for the continued incompetence from our rail companies !!

Due to the adverse weather, I (and my family) was forced to use our poor railway system to visit family over Xmas and New Year rather than go via car.

We got six sets of rail tickets for our outward and return journeys. None of these tickets were stamped, clipped or collected from us by any rail inspector. I now intend to claim that these tickets have never been used and to reclaim a refund accordingly. I did exactly the same last year without any probs.

I'm also hopeful that I will be given train vouchers as compensation with regards the poor quality of one of our rail carriages.

This means that my overall rail costs will be very small and will be slightly cheaper than by travelling by car; although car will always be my preferance due to it's convenience and comfort compared with trains.

I just hope the rail companies keep up with their incompetence in the event that I need to use them again

I appreciate this seems to be over with now, but nevermind...

Oh dear...It's always the TOC's fault when trains are delayed due to weather, isn't it? Ever wondered why every single TOC is the same, especially those using third rail? Really doesn't take a genius, does it? UK railways can't cope with bad weather, especially snow. It's not a "new" thing, so what's the issue? National Rail and individual TOCs warned passengers prior to travelling, and with the second bout of bad weather, most pre-empted with emergency time tables. I was watching a YouTube clip the other day about Network Southeast in days gone by, and, strangely enough, it was the same pre-privatisation, funilly enough, and before anybody says "It wasn't like this in BR days!"

If you don't like it, I hear the roads are clear now....with the odd pothole about!
  • Ruthie5Ruthie5 Forumite
    203 Posts
    Hi, I'm making a weekly trip to look after my Mum ATM, from Llandudno Junction to Lichfield Trent Valley. I travel down there after 9am on a Wed and come back the following day.

The normal price for this return ticket was around £41 - but moneysavers kindly helped me get a splitting the journey deal for £33. (Llandudno Junction to Chester rtn/Chester to Lichfield rtn.)

I logged on this week to book my usual ticket, but the Chester to Lichfield return has gone up to £30! If I just turned up at the station and bought an off peak return from LLJ to LTV it would cost £43. To split this journey will now cost me £47.

I have tried a couple of split options - splitting at Crewe for example, but that hasn't helped. As I go down every week, I want the keep the journey as simple as possible, but arriving into either of the Lichfield stations would be fine.

If anyone can help me find a cheaper way, I'd be really grateful (and so will my ailing Mum!)

Many thanks, Ruthie
  • edited 18 January 2011 at 7:18PM
    wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 January 2011 at 7:18PM
    Ruthie5 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm making a weekly trip to look after my Mum ATM, from Llandudno Junction to Lichfield Trent Valley. I travel down there after 9am on a Wed and come back the following day.

The normal price for this return ticket was around £41 - but moneysavers kindly helped me get a splitting the journey deal for £33. (Llandudno Junction to Chester rtn/Chester to Lichfield rtn.)

I logged on this week to book my usual ticket, but the Chester to Lichfield return has gone up to £30! If I just turned up at the station and bought an off peak return from LLJ to LTV it would cost £43. To split this journey will now cost me £47.

I have tried a couple of split options - splitting at Crewe for example, but that hasn't helped. As I go down every week, I want the keep the journey as simple as possible, but arriving into either of the Lichfield stations would be fine.

If anyone can help me find a cheaper way, I'd be really grateful (and so will my ailing Mum!)

Many thanks, Ruthie
    Split at Crewe.

Off Peak Return Llandudno Junction to Crewe = £24.00. Valid on most, if not all, trains.

Plenty of Advance Singles between Crewe and Lichfield TV at 7.00 each way.

Therefore total = £38.00.

Remember, with Advance Singles you must travel on the booked train.

Those prices were for 26/27 Jan from Southern Railway. Maybe cheaper Advance Singles (down to £4 each?) if you book further in advance.
  • pingupingu Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    hi
    i need to travel to Elgin from Manchester any weekend from nowtill end of feb going sat coming back sun
    1 adult 1 15 year old
    i have family card
    cheapest i can get is £97 return
    many thanks
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pingu wrote: »
    hi
    i need to travel to Elgin from Manchester any weekend from nowtill end of feb going sat coming back sun
    1 adult 1 15 year old
    i have family card
    cheapest i can get is £97 return
    many thanks

You might (and only might) get it below £80 by getting advance singles and splitting at either Edinburgh or Glasgow - maybe out one way and back the other. Leaving the return until Monday if you can would give a wider choice
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides