New Post Advanced Search

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 September 2010 at 10:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 106K views

Replies

• guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 posts
    hi all havent been on here for a few days, family problems again :(

just recording my spends which are on the 8th oct mr t delivery £63.01 then on the 12th oct mr t again £14.27 and m&s today £6.01

Hope everyones ok i havent had time to read all the posts and they soon mount up :eek:
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • ChlorisChloris Forumite
    710 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Our weekly shop day. So £32.96 in Mr M, got a few packs of the branston beans for 89p! H*me B*rgins £5.52. Independent fruit&veg shop £4.63. I am pleased with the fruit and veg as I got 7 big peppers for 75p, 3 punnets of raspberries for 99p, cauli for 20p, massive box of mushrooms for £1.50 (the size they deliver the mushrooms in!), largish punnet of seedless grapes for £1.19. Maybe its not too late to make raspberry vodka!

I do still need to buy a chicken and lots of spinach (batch cook some spinach and mushroom lasagne). So if I may pick your brains I would like to know where is the best place in your experience to buy free range chickens? We used to get the co*ps elmwood but we are going to switch back to free range so I need advice!
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    I've only "discovered" them myself this year, and I love them. I halve this recipe, as only OH and I will eat this type of meal MOROCCAN CHICKEN THIGHS It's totally lush.
    Looks interesting, but not one for me - can't "do" chicken thighs (or any meat on the bone when it gets to my plate), and detest olives
    I buy a whole Chorizo Sausage from £idl and then cut it into 40 or 50g lumps and freeze it, and get out a portion at a time for frittata, paella and such. This also freezes well
    I thought it might freeze - looks like something my late DH used to have on frozen pizzas - so thanks for the confirmation it does :)

But I don't want to stick loads in the freezer (if I can even find space) without knowing I like it first - so I really need to find somewhere I can get a one-person portion to try
    Cheryl
  • £3.72 spent yesterday. £1.66 on a jar of yeast extract (kept forgetting to get it and it's all I like on a rare slice of toast!)

The rest was in Sainsburys on the pasta/potato bake offer and a bag of fruit pastilles.
    Also paid for my sisters shopping as she bought dinner (KFC...naughty but very yummy), but that won't be included in my figure.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    £50.00 spend in Asda yesterday. Got a few wee bits for dinner until the end of the week when my budget ends.

It is absolutely freezing up here today :( going to have a big old stew tomorrow :)

Have a good evening all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    1.9K posts
    cw18 wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but not one for me - can't "do" chicken thighs (or any meat on the bone when it gets to my plate), and detest olives
    I thought it might freeze - looks like something my late DH used to have on frozen pizzas - so thanks for the confirmation it does :)

But I don't want to stick loads in the freezer (if I can even find space) without knowing I like it first - so I really need to find somewhere I can get a one-person portion to try

Why not pop up to waitrose if you have one or Asda and see if you can get a little slice to try? I use it for a spicy soup in the winter which is lovely :) sweet potato and chorizo soup is lush!
  • nattytnattyt Forumite
    431 posts
    cw18 wrote: »
    My budget is for food and drink only, but if I included toiletries then that would mean all toiletries including any wipes I used.

Thanks, i think i'm going to include them.As this is my first month of the challenge it will give me an overall picture when the end of the month comes so I can see if my budget is realistic.

So counted up everything and its £155.97 :eek: and we're not even halfway through the month! Hopefully next week won't need to spend much as have done meal plan and have enough food to last til end of next week. May just need bread, milk, eggs and definitely veg and fruit.

Have spent way more than I thought! Made me really think and actually its a bit scary!:eek:
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • miss_empty_piggymiss_empty_piggy Forumite
    721 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Phew, finally made it on here (thanks CW18 for the link)
    unfortunately I haven't managed to read all the posts and have been so busy with home and work audits etc, feel like I have been chasing my tail so far this month, but am back now. Could I please be put down for £150.00 this month please? It's nice to be back on here, helps keep me focused. I could almost feel myself getting out of control aaarrgghh!!!

Am on 97.67 at the moment, not sure if I'll make it, but I'm going to give it a bl**dy good try.x
    DFW Nerd No: 600

£193.07/£300. Jan grocery challenge 2020
    Pay all debts off by Xmas 2020 £125/£6k
    Wombling 2020 £9.64
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Why not pop up to waitrose if you have one or Asda and see if you can get a little slice to try? I use it for a spicy soup in the winter which is lovely :) sweet potato and chorizo soup is lush!
    No idea where my most local [email protected] it - don't recall ever seeing one!

I go to Mr A once in a blue moon (every 2-3 months), but am hoping the very small deli at work (Mr M) may have some - not that I'm likely to be allowed to try without buying (very fine line between being staff 'taking without paying' and a customer 'trying before buying' - even when I'm on a day off from what I've seen/heard).
    Cheryl
    1.9K posts
    That's rubbish! Oh well. I'm sure you can get it in Morissons. If I remember rightly, I asked them to slice a couple of slices for a pizza- cost me about 20p so you might be able to do that?

It tastes a lot of paprika so if you like that then chances are you will like chorizo. It's also good in pasta! But I like all those types of meats (except pepperoni..... Bleugh)