October 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 71

New Post Advanced Search

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 September 2010 at 10:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 106K views

Replies

• nattytnattyt Forumite
    431 posts
    Hi all can you tell me what you wouldn't include for example do you include toiletries such as face wipes (not very OS i know but sometimes essential!)? Just counting up what I have spent so far and wondered about this! Thanks.x
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    nattyt wrote: »
    Hi all can you tell me what you wouldn't include for example do you include toiletries such as face wipes (not very OS i know but sometimes essential!)? Just counting up what I have spent so far and wondered about this! Thanks.x
    My budget is for food and drink only, but if I included toiletries then that would mean all toiletries including any wipes I used.
    Cheryl
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember if I've seen mention of it on here or not (not something I'm in need of, so not something I make a note of), but as I left work today - Mr M - I spotted a pile of packs of [email protected] Beans. The 4 pack is on 'better than half price' at 89p until Sunday.
    Cheryl
  • £55 spend in tesco today for me,

cant decide if thats good or bad, should have been £75 but used £20 of vouchers,
    got plenty of tinned stuff, stocked up on baking stuff,
    tomorrow going to have a go at chili chocolate!

dont fancy much tonight so just picking at stuff!
    hope everyones doing ok :)
  • cookie9cookie9 Forumite
    763 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Made lunch and stupidly forgot to take it with me so wasted £2 in canteen. :(At least ate sandwiches tonight when I got in which was a good thing as worked late so was hungry.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • mrsbowiemrsbowie Forumite
    163 posts
    if anyone's interested M and s are doing some nice stuff 3 for £10, I got a chicken breast in foil tray, piece of brisket and a gammon joint.
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Hi there, how are you all keeping? Well I hope!

Spent £1.74 today in Tesco, on some potatoes and a pack of frozen peppers. It wasn't as much as I had thought it would be, when I went to pick up a bag of the potatoes they rolled over and showed me they had been reduced! Yay! Also the peppers were half the price I thought they were. I was tempted to get two packs as was a bit worried one would not be enough to make my sauce, but I think it will be plenty and it won't matter if they are just a little bit sparse.

Just off to add that to the sig...
  • MrsEmMrsEm Forumite
    49 posts
    Def not going to hit target this month...but am a lot more aware of what we're spending on - just bought wine £6 to celebrate the exhange of contracts on our new house today - yippee!
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Dont know if its been mentioned but in A$da there are 4 x 400g tins of chopped or plum tomatoes for £1 making them just 25p per tin. :)
    Brought 8 tins today as we use then a lot and ususally pay about 33-35p for them.

Will update totals now.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • cw18 wrote: »
    I'd had a tin of non-organic ones in my cupboards (for more years than I care to mention having checked the bbe date on it), which finally got used in a Chilli earlier this month when I couldn't find any Kidney Beans in my cupboards (since found a tin lurking behind my gravy granules rolleyes.gif). Having had a portion for tea on Saturday I discovered I quite liked the texture, so as I knew I'd seen these in B'n'M a few weeks back I nipped in to see if there were any left.....

Not quite sure what I'll use them for mind, as searches turn up load of curries - and I don't "do" curry (even the smell makes me gag) :o

I've only "discovered" them myself this year, and I love them. I halve this recipe, as only OH and I will eat this type of meal MOROCCAN CHICKEN THIGHS It's totally lush. I use ½ a tin of tinned chickpeas and I freeze the other half. They freeze well.
    NickJW wrote: »
    Do you like Chorizo and Couscous? I often make http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3097/couscous-with-chorizo-and-chickpeas with chickpeas and it's very quick and very nice IMO. (Sorry - I don't know how to change the specific link to just say 'THIS') :o
    Thanks for that link Nick - think I may have to give that a bash at some point, it looks very nice

cw18 I buy a whole Chorizo Sausage from £idl and then cut it into 40 or 50g lumps and freeze it, and get out a portion at a time for frittata, paella and such. This also freezes well
    triticale wrote: »
    This is the problem I find with local shops, I will not buy anything I don't know the price of (not even a lone vegetable) and don't like having to constantly ask 'how much is this'. If I ever had a shop I would be meticulous about clear pricing! :mad:
    :T Well said! - I couldn't agree more. A sure fire way to get me not to purchase something, is for there not to be a price on it.

nattyt My budget includes face wipes, deodorant, body lotion, ladies (cough) "items" and so on but it's really all about you setting a budget for yourself and then trying to stick to it, as everyone does it differently :)

Well I did the mile and a half round trip to get my cheap peppers from £idls, only to find they'd sold out! So while I was out, got some chocolate to cover my Millionaire Shortbread (thought I already had some, only to find half way through making it that I hadn't) 4L of milk and 2 loaves, totalling £5.16, which means I've dipped into next weeks cash even more, and I doubt the milk I have will last until Monday.....well it wont, but hey, .....WHO CARES?!! :rotfl:

Total spent so far £195.04
    Remaining Budget £ 79.96 that's what I call failing with style :D
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220