PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 October 2010 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Hmmm - another £29.96 spent in Mr T today. Wasn't planning on it being this much, but I bought all my lunches for next week, and I also have tuna and pitta breads for the week after nexts lunches. Everything for next weeks dinners is in, and most is in for dinners for the week after as well.

I'm including a lot more veg in my diet to get the 5 a day which seems to be more expensive....

I SHOULD be okay, despite using up over three thirds of my budget but I'm starting to feel that I'm not very good at this challenge!!! :mad:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have now spent €122.07, leaving me €3.23 per day for the rest of the month....we will be away from 23rd to 27th so that will be more expensive, doesn't usually come out of my GC so might be ok...OH is a pest to shop with though, he picks up things nobody wants, but as he sometimes pays the bill when we get to the till can't complain, just wish I could go one month just buying and paying for what I want to get.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    i love the homepride buy 1 get 2 free offer at the moment! got 6 jars of pasta,vegetable and potato bakes, also picked up pork, garlic bread, bread, milk and lamb burgers. Spent a total of £11.09
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Someone mentioned chicken breast. The beswt value ones I find are Iceland frozen ones. £5 for 1.1 kilo I think. Sometimes on offer at less. Haven't checked country of origin(if it matters to you)but we thawed ours out last night in combi micro on meat defrost and cooked chicken wraps.

:doh: I'd never thought of using frozen chicken breasts! Actually, I've never thought of buying any meat frozen! What am I like? lol

I buy my chicken breasts now from £idl when they're on offer - which they are down here this weekend - and pay £2.99 for 606g (why 606 I don't know!) which works out @ £4.93 kg. It means our chicken meals work out at 50p per head, plus whatever veg or other ingredients are used with the chicken, and I'm quite pleased with that, although it's not as cheap as it would be if using the frozen ones, which work out @ £4.54 kg

The only thing is - I dice my fresh ones into bags of roughly 200g (which does OH & I for a meal) and I obviously wouldn't be able to do that if they were frozen.

After trimming any fat, I sometimes end up with 200g, 200g & 188g or similar, then the 188g bag is marked up as Stir Fry as it's more than adequate for two people with a third of a bag of frozen mediterranean veg from Icel@nd (which is lush) served with egg noodles or tagliatelle.

If I'm making like a Thai Chicken Curry, I like to use 225g Chicken for that, which makes one of my 3 bags around 175g, which again, is more than adequate with plenty of veg in a stir fry.

So I make up the weight of the bags of chicken I freeze, according to what I've menu planned for.

I bought 3 packs yesterday at the special price, which I diced up this morning, so have the makings of 9 meals for OH & I for £8.97

A NSD day here. Not really an achievement as I like I said yesterday, not much choice with £4 to last the week.

A$da delivery tomorrow - will update sig after it's arrived. Am trying an 8 hour delivery slot for the first time between 12-8pm.....I sooo hope it doesn't arrive at 8pm, but I bet it will, as my orders always seem to arrive about 15 minutes before the end of the delivery slot. Couldn't book 10-6 as I've got a blood test tomorrow at 9:25 and wasn't sure if I'd be back in time.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another $8.60 gone but I did get a gamon joint to use for meal's and sandwich filling's.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 October 2010 at 4:50PM
    Options
    NSD today as I have more than enough in my fridge/freezer and cupboards.I was reading an article today in a magazine I had been given about how a lot of folk live on a dollar a day (a bit like weezels 50p a day thread I guess) and I realised that I could probably do the same at least this week.
    Today for example
    Breakfast ;porridge,O.J. and a cuppa tea
    mid morning coffee and some cake from the tin (which I made a few days ago)

Lunch : wrap from freezer, spread with garlic mayo,ham, sliced cucumber and tomato and topped with grated cheese,an orange

Mid afternoon a cup of tea

Dinner tonight :Jacket potato,chicken breast (from Freezer) stuffed with Philly and chopped pepper wrapped in bacon (1 rasher of the two I have left in the fridge) and cooked in foil in my remoska,probably with some green beans (from freezer) and a banana custard to follow

Supper ,cocoa and a biscuit

All of the stuff I already have either in my fridge or freezer and my cupboards.So I am going to see how long I can go this week starting today with £7.00 to see if I can last out for seven days on literally a pound a day.I know I have quite a bit in the cupboards which obviously helps but there's only me to feed so it should be easy.
    Tommorow I shall think of a different menu from first thing in the morning .
    So I have seven pounds for this week and hopefully no reason to spend anything yet as I will be living out of my stores.
    I really do have to get some of the stores down before Christmas so this will be a good incentive for me
    Watch this space :):):)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spent £108 so far, not looking good with so long to go but I'm not including the 3 days we've got planned in London with this months. Did pop into Iceland after using Co-op for some time, forgot how expensive the Co-op was. Trying to be ethical and money saving is hard!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    So far no more spends on groceries and today was another NSD. Ate at Mum and Dad's this afternoon and this evening i might just have a snack. Plenty in the cupboards/pantry and freezer so like Jackie above, I could probably manage not to purchase food this week. Will see how it goes. Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a small spend of £1.47 for milk yesterday, but more expensive than usual as OH bought it from the petrol garage.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thought i would have 2 NSDs this weekend , but i ended up buying bread yesterday and a whoopsied pizza and fajitas :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure