PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

frozen berries - recipe ideas?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi frugalsar,

I think they'll probably be fine to eat. I used some blackberries from the freezer last week to make blackberry gin and I made blueberry pancakes/drop scones yesterday with blueberries that have been in the freezer for at least six months. Frozen berries from the garden are always great added to smoothies (straight from frozen).

This thread might give you more ideas for using up your frozen fruit.

frozen berries - recipe ideas?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • welshlil
    welshlil Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    lucky you, we didn't get enough blackberries this year so they ran out v. quickly. Fruit lasts for years [literally] I make Blackberry and Apple jelly jam, quite easy [a little fiddly, but worth the effort] Only make in batches of 3 - 4lb at a time.
    Blackberry's have a low amount of pectin [this is the stuff that helps make jam set] I chuck equal amounts of blackberries and cooking apples in a large pan [ no need to peel core apples just chop roughly ] add water 1pint for every lb of fruit. Simmer until all fruit is mushy, use back of spoon, potato masher to get it all squashed. When all mushy turn off and let cool. Nows the trickier part- you need this gunge to drip - ideally you should use muslin - but I have used tights [new!] or a pillowcase, which you will not be able to use again. Get another pan put pillowcase over top and poor mixture in - tie top with string and hang for 24 hrs over pan/bowl. I tie it under a chair, some cookers have a hanging hook in oven, a stool upside down is good. Whatever happens do not squeeze bag [this will make jam go cloudy] just let it drip. When it's finished 24hrs later, pop some clean jam jars in oven on a low heat, put some saucers in freezer, and newspaper on work surface. Measure amount of liquid you have, for every pint of liquid you need 1lb of sugar - add to cold liquid and bring to a rapid boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 10 mins, remove from heat, get saucer from freezer and put a teaspoonful of liquid on saucer to check if it's ready. To do this when sample on saucer has cooled [cos it's been in freezer will cool quicker] run finger through middle, if it wrinkles it's ready to pot, if not put back on to rapid boil for another 10 mins - keep repeating till setting point is reached. Once reached take hot jars from oven and fill on newspaper - putting lid on straight away - or jam covers. Wipe jars with dishcloth while still hot. Should be really yummy, this is a soft jam, once jar opened doesn't keep for too long, but it never does in this house anyway.

Goosegogs I make a fool [cos I can't be bothered with topping and tailing], cook 1lb gooseberries with sugar and water [not too much as they make their own] Make a pint of custard - when fruit cooked leave to cool a little - push through a sieve - mix with custard, pop in fridge till chilled. Very refreshing - I like mine slightly sharp so the gooseberries cut through the custard. Should be slightly runny not solid!

I have used fruit that has been in freezer for over two years with no ill effects at all - easy to make pies with - cheat - get sweet pastry from supermarket - fill dish with fruit and sugar - top with pastry [no sugar on top makes pastry soggy] and cook.

Red/black currents I don't do- I know you are supposed to strip with a fork but I never have much luck!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure