PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

frozen berries - recipe ideas?

Options

Comments

• champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Beki wrote: »
    how about a crumble or a cobbler? mmmmmmm! :D

Someone on a thread just a day or 2 ago was talking about a 'mulled wine crumble', which used mixed berries, apples and raisins as a base. Doesn't that sound just right for the season? I'm going to try this myself this weekend.

Otherwise, I like to take my frozen raspberries, cherries, berries and whatever from the garden in winter and just boil them up with some sugar to release the juices - then bind the liquid with a little corn starch and serve it as a warm dessert in a wine glass with some whipped cream on top. You can add some grated lemon zest to the juice to give it extra flavour. This also tastes excellent eaten at room temperature or chilled.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • lrr_2
    lrr_2 Posts: 945 Forumite
    Options
    have them with ice cream......mmmmmmm
  • BeeBeeBee_3
    Options
    I make blueberry muffins but with frozen summer fruits in place of the blue berries - yum
    Just searched for a muffin recipie via google but am sure someone here would have a good one for you
    BBB
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Alicatt wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on smoothies or summer pudding. Was thinking more along the lines of a cake. I know there are a few muffin recipes on here but I don't have a muffin tin so would prefer to make one large cake.

You could always put the muffin mix into a cake tin :D I'll add this to the existing frozen berry thread, to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Burp_2
    Burp_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    I have a pack of frozen blueberries and logan berries in the freezer that i want to use up to create some space!

I've tried making blueberry muffins but failed miserably! They came out like scones!

Any bright ideas?

I do have soem frozen puff pastry too

Burp x
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How about using them in smoothies?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • tattoed_bum
    Options
    how about some puff pastry fruit tartlets
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about jam?
  • lolarentt
    lolarentt Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    Both will be fine in a healthy fruit salad! For the blueberries I'd add them only about half an hour before serving, otherwise the 'purple rain' makes the rest look a bit the worse for wear (wouldn't get a presentation commendation on Masterchef!)

I buy frozen raspberries for just this purpose - to liven up a fresh fruit salad (as they're much cheaper than fresh ones)
  • Gingernutmeg
    Options
    The other day I had some leftover pastry and some frozen crumble (not enough of either for a pudding) so I mixed some frozen berries with some sugar, an apple and a pear, lined a pie dish with some pastry and topped the lot with the crumble. It made a really nice fruit crumble tart that went down very well with custard!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure