PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

frozen berries - recipe ideas?

Options

Comments

• Jasper27_2
    Options
    I get through loads of frozen blueberries in muffins, blueberry and oat loaf (v easy cake), smoothies, blueberry crumble and blueberry sauce (for serving with warmed up scotch pancakes).
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Add them to stewing apples for a lovely colour in your fruit compote (and top with cream or custard - yummy!).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • jinnywren
    Options
    Jasper27, Would u give us the recipe for blueberry & oats muffin. Pleeeeeease:o
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    We have an existing thread with frozen berry ideas, so I'll add this one to keep recipes together :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I put them with apples in a crumble or make muffins, they are also lovely wrapped in a pancake with syrup poured over - am going to do some of those on Tuesday seeing as it is Pancake day mouth watering as I type mmmmmmm
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Raspberries and cream, only better.

CRANACHAN

The classic Scottish dessert. .

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons of oatmeal
    285ml of double cream
    2 tablespoons of honey
    2 tablespoons of whisky
    300g of raspberries

METHOD

Put the oatmeal in a cool, dry frying pan on a low heat. Toast the oatmeal for 10 to 20 minutes, until it is golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat and let the oatmeal cool in the pan.

Put the cream in a bowl and whisk it up until you can just make soft peaks on the top.
    Add the honey and whisky and fold it into the cream until it is soft and creamy.

Pick out some of the best raspberries for decoration and put three or four into the bottom of each serving glass, leaving one or two for final decoration.
    Add the rest of the raspberries to the cream mixture and fold together fairly carefully. You actually want to break up a few of the raspberries to give the cream a pale pink colour.

Spoon the mixture into the serving glasses, and make an even base on top for the oatmeal.

Sprinkle the oatmeal over the top.

Add a raspberry or two on top for the final touch.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use crushed plain oatcake instead of the toasted oatmeal. If you can afford it, use heather honey and a single malt whisky. Authentic cranachan uses raspberries, but strawberries and other summer fruits work well.

TIPS

Put a little bit of whisky in the bottom of each serving glass. Chill in the fridge for at least three hours, ideally overnight.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Had a thought you could make raspberry vinegar or raspberry vodka
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Jasper27_2
    Options
    Jinnywren this is the recipe I used for blueberry oat loaf (not muffins, although it might work in muffin cases.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeID=8116&Source=SearchResultPage&terms=blueberry%20oat

I added the grated zest of an orange after reading the reviews. It keeps for a few days and freezes well.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    Just thought I would add Asda has frozen blueberries, summer fruits and cherries for £1 today (there may be more varieties too). I have no idea for how long, but I snapped up a few for use on pancakes mmmmmm.

MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • frugalsar
    frugalsar Posts: 609 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey, I have a whole freezer compartment full of Redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries, gooseberries that I harvested last summer, I think it was about june? Do you all think they would still be ok to eat? I have no idea how long they freeze for??? also does anyone have any ideas what I could do with them - I tried Jam in the summer and it was a disaster!! I'm thinking crumble, cakey type things but i'm not sure how to make a crumble mixture!!! Also I even if they wont be ok to eat I've 4 blackcurrant and two redcurrant bushes which will give me loads this year too, so any ideas will be brill!!!
    Best Threads -
    greenfingered - oldstyle - grabbit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family