PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

frozen berries - recipe ideas?

Options
In a fit of enthusiasm I bought some frozen raspberries from Tesco's recently as they were on offer - now not sure what to do with them, except make smoothies. Also have some left-over frozen blueberries from earlier in the summer and a fit of smoothie-making enthusiasm. What else can I use them for?

Help please!

Comments

• Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    Sorbets & muffins would be my first choices :D
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    There's a nice recipies somewhere on this forum (maybe indexed) for raspberry and white chocolate muffins which are lovely, and can be frozen, and defrosted one at a time for breakfasts (I tend to whip one out as I'm going out the door, and give it 90 secs in microwave for a warm freshly baked feel). Blueberry muffins are also nice and I'm sure there will also be a recipies for these.

If muffins aren't your thing you could put them in the bottom of a few ramekins, top with fromage frais, sprinkle with brown sugar and blast under the grill for low fat fruity creme brule, or mix them with meringue and whipped cream for a high calorie treat.
  • earthmother
    Options
    Lol - was just saying to my mum that I didn't know what to do with the two tubs of frozen Tesco raspberries (bogof) in the freezer - and it's not the first time someone's asked the question - we must all be doing the same thing

:D

She thinks she's got a recipe involving apples (my other glut - just peeled and sliced 11lbs of the things - taking up a whole drawer in the freezer - and there's still loads on the tree).

It may take her a few days to dig the recipe out, but when I get it, I'll post it

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Blitz them whilst frozen in the food processor with a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt or cream and some sugar. Instant raspberry sorbet.Eat immediately.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all - the berries with meringue/cream and the cheat's creme brulee both sound lovely and I have duly added the ingredients to my Tesco's delivery for tomorrow (so not so moneysaving)...

Does anyone have links to the berry muffins recipes? Whenever I've tried baking muffins in the past I've always failed - too dry/soggy etc. so any foolproof recipes particularly appreciated. I'd also really like to have a try at raspberry sorbet - now I come to think of it I think that's what I had in mind when I bought them. Does anyone have any recipes?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure I can do links, but this is the recipies for the raspberry and white chocolate muffins. I've made it and it works fine.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2667700&postcount=39

For blueberry muffins just add blueberries instead of the raspberries and leave the chocolate out. My top tip for muffins is not to overmix - just combine the ingredients and stir very gingerly so that they are combined. It doesn't matter whether the mixture looks lumpy or not. Mine have never been soggy but if you find this is a problem I would guess either you have not cooked them for long enough/or at a high enough temperature, or you have added too much liquid. Try reducing the liquid the next time, and if that doesn't help cook for a little longer.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's that recipe I mentioned - it may need a bit of adapting as 1) it's from a book that's aimed at preserving/freezing so using already frozen foods will affect storage time/cooking, and 2) I can't find Tapioca Flakes anywhere.

Raspberry and Apple Pie

Filling

8ozs thinly sliced apples
    1lb raspberries
    1 tblsp lemon juice
    8ozs sugar
    2tblsp tapioca flakes
    pinch salt

Mix all ingredients together and leave for 15 minutes.
    Line pie plate with foil, leaving a 6" rim
    Put filing into foil, fold over and freeze
    Pack in foil or bags - will keep for up to 12 months

The Pie

Line pie plate with pastry, add frozen filling, a dot of butter, cover with pastry and make slits in top
    Bake for 45 minutes, Gas 7/220C

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let them thaw then add a dollop of vanilla ice cream. The one from Lidl is great!
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Blueberry pancakes for breakfast! Gorgeous!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all! Despite what I said, I have been using them for smoothies v successfully having discovered how easy it is to do with stick blender - I have become the smoothie queen, much to dds delight. Plan to try peach smoothies next with tinned peaches.

Tonight I plan to make raspberry meringues with the meringue nests and cream I bought for the purpose but have been too lazy to whip cream so far as have to do it by hand as no electric whisk. If any raspberries or blueberries left after all this, will try muffins and hope they work out ok this time - one thing I have never managed to do.

Thanks OS - you are great and brighten up my day (have been reading thread about OS addiction with interest...)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure