We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MSE Parents Club Part 14
Comments
-
Krystaltips wrote: »The most important thing is to keep reminding her to wipe from front to back when she's had a poo... She'll get better over time... Sudocreme will be your friend for a good while yet...
I had to tell Aimee off for using too much paper once... Then I discovered she'd gone completely the other way and was just using 1 square... So now I tell her to use 3 at a time...
Oh Keira is like that, caught her using 1 square, now I buy value bog roll in because Archie destroys it, so can you imagine..1ply 1 square. How absorbant :rotfl:
She doesn't do front to back, I've watched her. She wipes the front first, gets new toilet roll, then does her bum. That's what I do cause I don't think forward to back motion cleans your foof very well
At least I get free sudocream
0 -
No but I've had a quick search to see what information I can find:Hi please can I ask a question of the mummies, do any of you have experience of taking St John's Wort as a PND treatment?
Clinical Knowledge Summaries (I think this is what GPs use when you go to see them) says:St John's wort- NICE found evidence (from six randomized controlled trials, in 995 people) that, compared with placebo, St John's wort increased the likelihood of achieving a 50% reduction in symptoms of depression. However, there was insufficient evidence to determine if St John's wort was effective for achieving remission.
- NICE advises that St John's wort should not be prescribed for treating depression because there is an absence of long-term data, uncertainty regarding which dose to use, the preparations available vary considerably with regard to potency, and there is potential for serious interactions with other drugs (such as oral contraceptives, anticoagulants, and anticonvulsants).
NHS Surrey says:For the short term treatment of mild to moderate depression (not specifically PND), there is evidence that St John’s Wort is more effective than placebo, if taken with care and upon appropriate advice. There are two areas for caution: First St John’s Wort is not subject to the strict control of conventional medicines, hence the strengths and quality of the many brands vary considerably. Second, although an advantage of St Johns Wort is that it appears to give fewer side effects than standard anti-depressants, St John’s Wort does interact and should NOT be taken with certain other medicines. It is important that you tell your doctor/pharmacist if you are thinking of or taking St John’s Wort, at every visit.
Patient.co.uk says,This is a herbal antidepressant that you can buy from pharmacies without a prescription. It recently became a popular 'over the counter' treatment for depression. There is some evidence that it may be helpful for mild or moderate depression. However, there is still some uncertainty about its use. This is because:- It is not clear exactly how well it works. Although some studies suggest that it may help depression, other studies have failed to confirm this.
- Side-effects sometimes occur. (Some people think that because St John's wort is 'natural' then it is totally safe. This is not true. It contains many chemicals which sometimes cause problems.)
- It may react with other drugs that you may take. Sometimes the reactions can cause serious problems. For example, you should not take St John's wort if you are taking warfarin, the oral contraceptive pill, ciclosporin, anticonvulsants, digoxin, theophylline, or some anti-HIV drugs. Also, you should not take it at the same time as some prescribed antidepressants.
Clinical Knowledge Summaries says that PND should be treated in the same way as "regular" depression if the person is not breastfeeding. (Which presumably this means that their is not considered to be any practical difference unless there is the issue of medication safety when breastfeeding.)
Hope some of that is useful in some way and :grouphug: in case you are asking for yourself.Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"0 -
Teach her to do bum first then front bottom... Then there's less danger of germ transfer...

And redstar's right, it disappears overnight with the sudocreme most of the time... It very rarely lasts...A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...My Fathers Daughter wrote: »Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.
0 -
Me too.Buttonmoons wrote: »She doesn't do front to back, I've watched her. She wipes the front first, gets new toilet roll, then does her bum. That's what I do cause I don't think forward to back motion cleans your foof very well

And whilst I'm not glad that it's causing problems, it's a relief to hear that other people's children are not adept at wiping. OH was getting worried the other day about the fact that Alice always shouts for us when she's done a poo and saying to me, "What do children do when they're at nursery?"Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"0 -
thank you! all very useful links, and thank you too for the hug
Hope some of that is useful in some way and :grouphug: in case you are asking for yourself.
I scored 15 on the edinburgh pnd test the other day, self administered, and it says above 10 consult a gp, but i don't really want to take a regular anti-depressant as i think they can be a bit sedating.
:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £400 -
In Aimee's case, come home with pretty patterned undercrackers and a festering water infection... But there was an issue with her holding too long and having accidents at the time too...Me too.
And whilst I'm not glad that it's causing problems, it's a relief to hear that other people's children are not adept at wiping. OH was getting worried the other day about the fact that Alice always shouts for us when she's done a poo and saying to me, "What do children do when they're at nursery?"A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...My Fathers Daughter wrote: »Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.
0 -
Do you think you need anti-depressants, or would you benefit from talking to someone as an alternative? (Or is that too much like asking my Grandmother if she'd like instruction on how to suck eggs?!)
thank you! all very useful links, and thank you too for the hug
I scored 15 on the edinburgh pnd test the other day, self administered, and it says above 10 consult a gp, but i don't really want to take a regular anti-depressant as i think they can be a bit sedating.A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...My Fathers Daughter wrote: »Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.
0 -
Me too.

And whilst I'm not glad that it's causing problems, it's a relief to hear that other people's children are not adept at wiping. OH was getting worried the other day about the fact that Alice always shouts for us when she's done a poo and saying to me, "What do children do when they're at nursery?"
Children at nursery hold it in
or they don't clean very well and it goes on their knickers I suppose. It's funny, I was having a conversation with a woman on my mums street, her daughter is 2 months older than Keira, and apparently she never ever manages to clean her bum properly, and she just dreads a phone call from school (as she is in school now) telling her to go in, as her pants can end up really mucky. She has one as soon as she gets back from school though :rotfl:
my sister (the one who is 16) used to still shout on my mum to wipe her bum at 9+, which I thought was rank
and she used to cry if my mum didnt do it.
Course its a running trend with her, because she wants my mum to come to bus stops with her and stick her hand out for her to flag the bus down - before she gets it - she is 17 in 2 months.......:eek:0 -
Weezl I just had a tootle at the Edinburgh pnd test, I obviously have not just had a baby, but I scored 14, and I don't think I'm depressed, I'm more unhappy and cantankerous but then there is a multitude of reasons why I feel like that.
I suppose after having a baby your hormones are all over the shop. St Johns Wort is probably pretty good, they tell you not to mix it with other drugs so it must have some effect at least?0 -
tee heeKrystaltips wrote: »Do you think you need anti-depressants, or would you benefit from talking to someone as an alternative? (Or is that too much like asking my Grandmother if she'd like instruction on how to suck eggs?!)
I think talking would probably be better.
I'm struggling to balance out the loss of time it would mean of DH having the boys (2 hrs ish) to get to a counsellor and back. The 2 hrs feels so desperately needed in other areas like a nap, doing the finances, and so on. I think I would rather talk to friends at this stage. I wouldn't rule it out tho, and I don't mind you saying at all, and thanks!
. Counsellors are allowed to feel depressed IMHO, just like GPs are allowed to have a cold, and dustbinmen are allowed to chuck away teabags.
:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £400
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards