🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks PP, we have saved ourselves a lot of money as did have quotes for all 3 rooms. Lounge is completely finished and blind is ordered. Will pay for that when it is fitted with funds from the money dh gave me from his claim. I might pay that money off tomorrow so it can save a bit on interest. Our bedroom is almost done but I need to do another coat as it is really patchy. Will also do spare room tomorrow as it shouldn!!!8217;t take long. It is a tiny box room with a decent sized window and fitted bed and units. That needs to be priority really.

I would also like to get some pictures/prints up in the lounge on one section of the wall. If we decide to extend the pictures that will be fine but I will just use the section above the bookcase for now. I also want to use a display glass bowl and add the sand we have been accumulating. I am hoping sharpies will work on glass? If not I may be making a list of the order of sand and panic buying some pens that will work. Also need to move a unit out of the snug and put it in our bedroom.

It is amazing what you can achieve at home when you have a week off work and do not go on holiday!

This evening after everyone went to bed I finished off my steps (ending the day on 16,200), did a weights workout and mopped kitchen diner, utility and shower room. No idea where my energy is coming from of late but late nights are so productive. Also read a couple of chapters of my book (personal development) and put the bins out in case the children decide not to wake me at 6am.

Oh, also got offered and accepted a new job this week. Saves me an hour a day commuting and 25 miles a day of fuel. New team sounds very welcoming, I have been invited to pop in over the summer and told there will social events happening at work too. A nurturing work environment is very important to me especially because of the nature of my job. Extremely pleased I submitted that last minute job application!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oooh - congrats on the new job! :j :j

And well done on doing lots of decorating :)

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Love the way that you drop in the new job news almost as an afterthought! Congratulations! :T:T:T

And how do you cope on so little sleep???
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks Apple, that was one of bits of news I referred to earlier in the month. The second is that I will be starting my dissertation in September to complete my MSc. Exciting times!

As expected, I need to buy glass pens but have just found some for £2.49 on 3bay and they will also come in handy for Christmas craft.

All decorating is complete! I am shattered though and feel like it is all I have done for days. Have to keep repeating in my head that decorating the lounge and two bedrooms means I have saved £1000!!
  • CathT
    Options
    I am usually in bed waaaay before midnight apple. Usually in bed for 9:30. Extra caffeine and being off work must be keeping me up late!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    congratulations on your new job x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks Mfd, still a band 6 but will be much better for me for lots of reasons I hope!

My body clock is all over the place, cannot believe I am awake at this time.

Have a bit of a mental to do list so wanted to get it written down.

Need to ring garage (car making strange noises and sounds like it wants to cut out.

Empty snug and deep clean

Advertise some pieces of furniture on fb

Pay water bill

Transfer some money from savings ready for blinds

Meal plan for a few days to avoid unnecessary supermarket spends.

Return paint to h0mebase.

That will be enough, forecast tells me it will be extremely hot tomorrow. I do want to take the children out if possible. They have had some lazy days to unwind from school but it is time for a little bit of structure. We discovered a brilliant park this week so might see if they would like to go there. Will pack snacks and drinks to avoid spends if we do go.

Had to book an extra 3 days childcare so need to adjust the budget as we are £75 down now!
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on the new job. Hope you managed some sleep in the end.
  • CathT
    Options
    I missed your post greent, thank you. I think it is going to be a positive move for me.

Thanks PF, dd has me up most of the night with stomach ache. She has had it a few days but makes a very quick recovery when it suits her!!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't stand too much of a daily commute. The time you will save is so valuable :)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure