Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Brodie, Mfd and pooky.

I am strongly considering the electric version. The log burner quote came back at £2800 plus cost of fire and it would be going in a single storey extension room rather than an existing fireplace so would have had the flue coming the garage roof which is not ideal. I have the money ready but expecting some vouchers this week so may get it as soon as they arrive. I have done some comparisons so will have a final search and also look into running costs. I had not considered those mfd but we are all out during the day so it would be for a short time during the evenings and at weekends. It is just for an extra heat source as huge room only has a small radiator and also the Christmas ambience!

Soooo glad I did the bulk of the gardening work yesterday. Today I watched dd play football for the first time in ages, returned ununsed paintbrush so £5 back on card, cut the back lawn and painted some sleepers in my much loved grey paint! I have also chased up one of the patio companies but feel like I am just repeating myself! Bil has collected some of the old decking pieces, he is quite handy so will put them to good use. Had a bbq type dinner as a family and logged it all and stuck to my calories. Have managed to reduce summer holiday childcare by over £200 (minimum as I may take some extra random days off). I!!!8217;ve budgeted to pay for childcare from June pay and will stash money in savings. We have a lot going on in July that needs paying for!

Pooky, I have had b12 checked before and gp said those and folate levels were good. It is usually my ferritin that plummets and in 12 months I took three 3 month courses. I have not been on supplements now for 4 months so goodness knows how low they are. My history tells me I cannot maintain my levels without supplements. Having bloods done on Wednesday so if they are terrible I will know by the end of the week. I did notice gp is checking my thyroid again aswell. It is frustrating as I do take care of myself health and lifestyle wise and am annoyed I cannot fix myself!

49p Tilly tidy despite not having huge amounts of cash in current acccounts. However, credit card spends up to date and have paid for two school trips this evening (£30.50).

Wondering if we can survive the week on £25????
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    Options
    the cost was on the opti-myst web page under myths I think x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • CathT
    Options
    I will have a look, thanks mfd.

Not much happening as we are at the dodgy part of the month where there is little money activity. 65p Tilly tidy already made this morning and I have looked ahead to July budgets and think I will reinstate our regular £300 monthly overpayment.

We have persuaded dd to choose a character for a dressing up day at school that we can create at home instead of spending £20+ on something that would be worn once. We are passed the dressing up days in this house so not really looking for a costume to add to the collection!

Bit gloomy here weather wise today, I guess it makes the working day slightly easier!
  • CathT
    Options
    Quick update from me. We are quietly plodding on the survival to payday!

Have finally decided on an electric stove and chosen an opti myst one and also bought a pipe for the top which is meant to make it look more authentic. £437 spent, being delivered for free on Saturday and £11.46 already tracked on tcb. Had another £20 vouchers from ppi referrals so have just over £30 to spend when needed.

We do need to buy some super power weedkiller at the weekend. We had borders created at the back of the garden but the weed membrane under the stones has disintegrated in parts and we have pretty spectacular weed and grass growth which looks a mess. DH has also cut down some more of the decking so just need to touch up the paint.

Step count is great at the moment 10-12k steps daily, also managed a 20 minute weight workout this evening and the scales are reflecting my consistent efforts. Also received a compliment yesterday which was lovely, a surprise and much appreciated.

Happy it is Friday tomorrow, I haven't worked a 5 day week for a while so am shattered!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not seen those Opti myst stoves before, they look great. I will show DD1, I suspect she'd like one for her new flat. It will look fab with the pipe attached too, where are you putting yours? Looking forward to some photos.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • CathT
    Options
    Hi pooky, I am hoping it will look really good and is obviously a lot cheaper and less disruptive than the real thing. However, the company we have ordered it from is one I vowed to never use again after they really messed up our kitchen delivery in our old house. At that time there was a missing item and the dishwasher was damaged. I ordered on weds/thurs (cant remember) and chose Saturday delivery. I then got a text that it was Monday so I had to change it to Tuesday and dh wont be around Monday afternoon. I then get a text saying it will be delivered this morning. However, I think that is just the pipe! We could have bought the fire in store but not sure we would have got the cash back. Fingers crossed the delivery time suits on Tuesday.

Have transferred money out of
    savings ready to pay credit card which will keep account looking healthier until Tuesday when cb goes in and payment is also taken.

Calories counting, macro tracking and walking going very well. Had two compliments this week and am at a weight I am more than happy with but know my body can achieve so much more. It really is so simple, burn more calories you take in with no fads or expensive subscriptions and no rebound weight gain!

Todays plan is housework (dh taking the children to the cinema, I had decided not to go but it clashes with delivery anyway) and then we are off our this evening to see a comedian. Only be out for a few hours which will help with the cost of babysitter.
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Well done Cath on the steps, exercise and healthy eating. I hear you need frustration re not being able to fix everything health wise but fueling and treating your body right is a great addition and will hopefully stave off more issues ( so I keep telling myself anyway!!)

Good luck with the delivery !

Ella x
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • CathT
    Options
    New fire has arrived which was a pleasant surprise as was expecting a pipe. DH has set it up and it is in the seating area of our family room. We have tested it out and it is very realistic and throws out some good heat. Hopefully it will look even better with a bit of plastic piping on the top to make it look real!

DH took the children to the zoo and cinema yesterday, we had 10% current account cashback on the cinema tickets. I went strawberry picking with a friend and got a good haul for just under £4. They have kept me going for desserts and snacks this weekend. We had a brilliant evening seeing the comedian and were 4 rows from the front. Close enough to be good seats but not close enough to get picked on!

Today I have weeded the garden and tried to tackle some grass that is growing in the border. Took the children for a bike ride on the lane by us but got a bit annoyed at all the people walking on the cycle side of the path and not moving for the children. I just said clearly, it's ok (insert name of child) just stay on the cycle path. Other than that they really enjoyed it and I got some steps in. I'm up to over 10k but might hit some more out this evening.

Have contacted yet another company for a quote for the patio and they are calling this week. I really want it done asap so we can really enjoy the space especially if we are lucky enough for this brilliant weather to continue.

Finished reading a brilliant book today so am at that dilemma of choosing what to read next. I do need to get through them and declutter though. I often keep books but it is unlikely I will re-read most of them and as they are charity shop buys they can go back there.

Have paid the final balance on our September holiday and had a chat with dh about holidays and overpayments. On paper our budget allows for a £300 monthly OP and £300 a month for holidays which should be enough for 2 holidays a year. So going forward, that is the plan. Let's hope it works in reality!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well that is Monday out of the way! Had a long day at work but home in time to eat dinner as a family.

The pipe for the fire was delivered today, I managed to assemble it and it is in place and looks great! Cant get the smoke effect to work tonight so dh will try and get it sorted tomorrow.

60 points on youg0v, cb hits the account tomorrow. Hit my calories, 10k steps and also squeezed in a challenging 20 minute weights workout. I am trying to mix up my weight workouts as I quickly get bored of the same exercises and one routine I do takes 40 minutes which is too long.

Managed to get through to the doctors today, blood results apparently normal which although reassuring, doesnt explain my enduring fatigue. Also made myself an appointment for a complaint I have had for a while and ignored for too long. Have self diagnosed and managed up until now but enough is enough!
  • CathT
    Options
    Happy hump day!!

Fire is up and running and looks great. The operating instructions don!!!8217;t completely make sense but we figured it out. Also spent some of @rgos vouchers on a water filter. Found some money left in one of the bills account so £3.83 sent to the mortgage this morning.

Patio being done next weekend and builders calling for some of the sample pavers today so finally some progress there.

Up to 1030 points on y0ugov even though I have been a bit lax completing surveys.

We do not have a great deal of cash until payday (10 days away) but on the flip side do not really need to buy anything. I also need to log into one of dh bills account to see if there is anything leftover for an overpayment. Making small regular op!!!8217;s is definitley helping with motivation and they really add up over the month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback