Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Missing pay hopefully be in resolved but it didn't appear in the bank today, fingers crossed for tomorrow... Or the next day! Money shuffle completed until I get paid on Friday.

Car being collected on Sunday so need to ring up tocar insurance and cancel car tax and also check if we have overpaid. When I switched the direct debit they started it off as a new one and we had to pay 2 months for the first payment. Going to be missing a direct debit from new m#s account so need to switch one of the charity ones. That's a job tomorrow as they were closed when I finished work.

Currently planning dd birthday party, I refuse to buy tat to go in party bags. I am pushing it with a piece of cake and a few sweets. Its a party of 24 children so that's potentially a lot of plastic headed for the bin!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The DVLA automatically sort road tax out after you've sent the log book (V5) in to them. No need to call them. :)

:rotfl: Completely agree re. party bags. I usually make a wooden toy for each child but there's not a chance I'd be inviting 24 of them.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • CathT
    Options
    That's useful to know Alex, thank you. Always done it that way in the past but as we pay by direct debit now thought it might be a little more complicated.
  • CathT
    Options
    Havent achieved everything i hoped for today but I've realised I'm not superwoman.

Stressful and really busy day at work after a rubbish nights sleep, came home and managed to.... Put washing out (dh didn't get round to it as fell asleep after work - he is working ridiculous hours), do next sale shop, amend charity dd details, complete planning form, amend car insurance. I feel bad that the washing is still on the line and I talked FD out of going to athletics for the second time this week as she is overdoing it and I also really needed to be at home!

M*S internet banking stuff has arrived so I need to activate and do money shuffle when I get paid tomorrow. Dh has a new payslip so hopefully missing cash not too far behind it!

It would have been nice to come home and read for a bit!

Steady trickle of y0ug0v surveys last few days so on target there. Food shop done by DH so need to update totals. Huge pile of post to open that's been building up all week. I seriously need a day in the week just to catch up with myself!
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    That's useful to know Alex, thank you. Always done it that way in the past but as we pay by direct debit now thought it might be a little more complicated.

No, the whole point of the DVLA introducing the direct debit option and making tax payable as soon as there is a transfer of ownership (it's not attached to the car anymore i.e. the remaining x amount of months left out of the year comes with the car if bought used) was to simplify and eliminate the tax disc.

You need to make sure you insure AND tax the car before driving away. LR did all of this last year ready for me to pick up but this was a new car; not sure how it works if buying used from a dealer.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • CathT
    edited 30 September 2016 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Thanks Alex, we are taking old car in on Saturday for part ex as insurance will expire and new carinsurance will start on Sunday. Increased insuurance to business use on both cars so I can use both of them and policy was an extra £10 for the rest of the year.

Dh has had his missing pay and payday for me too. Some money shuffling done,more to do later. Sorted out direct debit for m*s account and changed payment date to ensure it goes out in October so that we get our £10 voucher!

Completed paperwork for council and dh will take that after work and pay the £30 fee. I'm hoping its all sorted in time as the build starts in 12 days! :eek:

Spends for birthday party are adding up, £19 in £land yesterday and spends on party food. Planning to relax after that!

September spends

Food. £180.12
    Petrol £154.02
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've done the tax online on my iPad whilst collecting the car (once at Someone's house when collecting the mini , once at a dealers) it's pretty quick and easy :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NG: Done it plenty of times buying privately; tax exempt classics still need to be "taxed". :rotfl: It is a nice feeling not to need to pay money to tax a car, though. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • CathT
    Options
    Party day today. Looking forward to just having a day out for ds birthday next week!

My m*s internet details arrived so all money shuffling done! That was quite a job but worth it for £20 a month. Will also have t3sdo account interest I can throw at the mortgage. Am hopeful this effort WILL make a difference.

Almost single figures until the extension starts and still soooomo much to do!
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Enjoy the party and hope DS has a great time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback