Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a quick update as have done the food shop. Managed to get dd some trainers for £3.50. I'm relieved the expensive shoe shop had none in her size and praying that these ones fit as she is in a half size.

Careful shop done but did buy myself some hairdye. Haven't coloured my hair at home for years and fortunately no grey hairs yet but it could do with a bit of brightness and shine. I am picturing hairdye all over the bathroom and a stained hairline! :eek:

Food shop came in at £51.64 after the voucher. I am going to take hairdye and trainers off total though and offset from personal spends. Not sure I actually have my own spends but will juggle somehow :D

Monthly spends

Food: £280.86
    Petrol £181.79

Looks like we are going to need that increased £500 budget! :eek:

ETA: Also got a till spit for another £7.50 off. Just wish they gave you longer than a week to spend it!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck with hair. Vaseline around the hairline!
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks Al, cheers for eBay tip too. They are mega cheap on there!

Busy day yesterday, the architect came round and we discussed our ideas and budget. Looks like we need £35k rather than £25k! That is still cheaper than moving and he felt making us a 4bed with ensuite was better than 3 beds which we were proposing.

We have looked at the figures and it is affordable and do-able. Still far cheaper than moving and I had been looking at 3 beds which would have increased our mortgage by 40k plus stress of moving.

So current plan is wait until Sept 16 for the following reasons....
    1) we are ok at the moment for space
    2) cc should be paid off
    3) mortgage would be 10k less
    4) we will have no nursery fees making us yet another £200 a month better off. (we are £200 better off as of this August so this is a lot extra to us.

So what have I done today to help get us get there?

4p Tilly tidy yesterday plus 47p today. Payday, so money shuffle done. £50 transferred ready for S&S ISA direct debit, £314 transferred to account ready to pay off cc.

That is enough for this time in the morning! :)
  • CathT
    Options
    A credit has landed in the account since this morning so £29 to cc account and 70p Tilly tidied. Thank goodness tomorrow is wednesday, have had a particularly difficult and tiring day.

Mulling over extension plans. Big decisions ahead!

NSD and DH did a little bit of OT. Every little helps!
  • Pennypincher2
    Options
    Hello nice to see you are doing so well.
    Debt Sept 2012 £140,000 end age 65.5 (maximum) four mortgages in total
    April 2016 £114,599.83 (3 mortgages now)
    Nil debt for some many years now perhaps 8. Need to save for a tent for holiday this year but nil else.
    Over paying about £500 per month but fancy £600 so will have to think of some very money saving techniques...
  • CathT
    Options
    Hi PP2, thank you for popping in :)

Not much money news, have been too busy to get to post office to pay a bill so need to get there today. I will make time! Am absolutely flat out at the moment and feeling emotionally drained due to the nature of my work. Need to make sure I take time for me.

Cc account building nicely ready to pay £500 off the cards by tomorrow. Another NSD for me yesterday- tbh these are pretty easy to achieve in the week as I never buy lunch out. Have drinks available in work and I always take something with me for lunch.

DH and I still mulling over extension work and how much to do. Written quote has arrived from architect so the expenses are very clear. We are worried about a light issue that may affect our neighbours, architect confident it would get through planning but I don't want to upset them. Considering their needs would increase our costs and reduce our square footage of extension. Don't know what to do about it really.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That seems a very good price cath, so is that to go up two bedrooms and an ensuite? If so amazing value for so much more space :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    Options
    Hi Newgirly. We are currently 3 beds. Would make us 4 beds and ensuite. Also some alterations downstairs to improve kitchen-diner.

Been in the garden looking at it again, definitely more tempted by not extending right across which would be better for our neighbours. Would have a bedroom of around 11x8 so stil a good size. Otherwise would be around 14x8 but might feel a bit long and narrow.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would like you for a neighbour.
  • CathT
    edited 28 June 2015 at 6:21AM
    Options
    Payday for DH so £130 extra sent to cc fund. So far this week I have paid £472.50 off the cc. I will find another £28.50 to round it up to £500!

21p Tilly tidy made.

DH doing a small top-up shop to see us through the weekend. He has been given a small list to stick to as I have a voucher to use on Monday so will do bigger shop then. I am really hoping to see reduced spends in July as we have stocked up a bit this month.

Spends so far

Food - £294.55
    Petrol- £253.93

Petrol spends higher than anticipated but a full tank last DH 3 weeks and it's fallen so that he filled up at the beginning and end of the month. Again, should see this reduce next month :)

Early indications show we have smashed our ambitious target of reducing WIOTW figure by £1000 a month!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback