Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know I shouldn't say this to a trained nurse...but the tiredness isn't a blood glucose thing?
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My blood sugar levels are often low Al. I have been given a blood glucose monitor by my mum but need to buy more testing strips for it. Will do that this weekend. I only have a few and could do with checking when I have those days I just know my sugar is in my boots. Also want to do a random one on DH to stop him eating so much carp!

Spent £1.10 on painkillers today, been for a tooth out. I was very brave and it was really fine. Just hoping doesn't ache too much when anaesthetic wears off.

Have spoken to the local planning department today and we are going to provide sketches and speak to a planning officer to see if it likely we would get the go-ahead with our plans.

Off to do some measuring :) will leave the drawing to DH!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • mortgage_girl
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Hi MG, pop over to edinburgher's thread :)

Part time would be fab, especially when I have particularly stressful days at work. I should be MF early 40's so the option should be there in theory. Would prefer DH to go part time first though, he deserves it!

Ah yes, I've been reading ed's thread over the past few weeks - think I'm about half way through - definitely inspiring. :)

Aww how sweet of you to put DH first...i'm sure he'll rustle up some lovely food for you to come home to though. ;)

Hope your mouth isn't too sore later on.

MGx
    :jMortgage free 08.08.19 :j
    2018: £19410.25 / £9,300 2017: £7646.64 / £11,000 2016: 4557.98 / £11,000 2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000 2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    MF date was Nov 2041 - mortgage neutral 23.07.18

• CathT
    Options
    Thanks MG, I get home every day to dinner on the table. Imagine if he had a day off too! I fear he would do too much baking :)

Had a long chat this afternoon about possible extension. We had our heart set on a plan and then realised it probably wouldn't be possible as would block a neighbours window. Then considered it wasn't worth bothering just to build part of what we originally wanted. We have done a rough sketch which we are happy with and gives us 3 double bedrooms (one en-suite) which just uses front of garage allowing plenty of room for neighbours window. Plan was to submit rough sketch and measurements plus £50 fee to planning officer but we have decided to get the full plans drawn and go from there. Should imagine they will only be around £350? Am going to ring an architect in the morning.
    I am just finding it hard to visualise how the roof will work as our main roof seems a funny angle. Probably better letting the experts decide.

DH has done lots of overtime this week so we could cover most costs with that and we have some childcare cost free months ahead :)

After browsing rightmove again the last few days really disheartened that our plans were stopped in their tracks I realised how much I don't want to move, I just want a more suitable house for our family.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    For many years I was tempted to go part time, but I never did, until it was 'forced' on me by redundancy.

In retrospect, I'm pleased I did carry full time for as long as I did, as it allowed us to build firm foundations for the early retirement.

I didn't go part time until I was 50.

But I remember how tiring it was working full time, so I have every sympathy with people juggling busy lives.

But it allows you to things like your extension and all the other good things.

On balance, I'm glad I stuck with it

Hopefully you'll get your house just right for your current needs
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • CathT
    edited 19 June 2015 at 7:34AM
    Options
    Absolutely Goldiegirl, our time for a break will come. I would rather be working more whilst younger and in theory more energy. Also, I am at the start of a new career with a lot to learn and was always advised work as much as you can early on.

Have had a look ahead to see where we could be financially at the end of the year so have been able to set a goal of finding an extra £687 on top of repayments which are already built into the budget. This only equates to £25 a week so should be achievable. This would see the cc at sub 10k, they were 23k March 2014. I know this sounds horrifying but it was all to stop us moving and spending £70,000 to simply gain an extra bedroom! :eek:

Few things to do this morning after school run. I do love extra days off work. It's like being part time.

1. Buy hoover bags - why don't supermarkets sell these or convenience!
    2. Buy cheap birthday cards
    3. Collect reserved Arg0s items to stock up pile for birthday gifts
    4. Buy wine
    5. Maybe treat myself to some flowers for £2.99?
    6. Visit my mum
    7. Hoover bedrooms
    8. Clean kitchen window (looks dirty after I cleaned the french doors - this is the problem with cleaning, it leads to more cleaning! :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck with that list Cath :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you point me at Mr edinburgher's thread please?

Sorry - no manners - hello - been reading with interest, don't worry about the children, completely normal, they don't keep coming downstairs once they are teenagers unless you cook bacon and fan it upstairs....
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great list, good luck!! I love little lists of tasks for the day. Our fridge always has something on it.
    Our list consists of potty training at the top, so i'm keeping scarce...
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • CathT
    Options
    Seanymph wrote: »
    Could you point me at Mr edinburgher's thread please?

Sorry - no manners - hello - been reading with interest, don't worry about the children, completely normal, they don't keep coming downstairs once they are teenagers unless you cook bacon and fan it upstairs....

Hi seanymph, thanks for popping in, I guess the incessant talking stops around then too :) here is Ed's thread, well worth a read.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4961829
    Great list, good luck!! I love little lists of tasks for the day. Our fridge always has something on it.
    Our list consists of potty training at the top, so i'm keeping scarce...

Hi jimmy, we actually threw our potty away yesterday. Strange as we are done with things now we can get rid instead of keeping for the next one. Thanks for popping in :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback