Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 September 2014 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Te3co frozen cake bought and now dd wants cupcakes with figures so am trying to order those. Also needed petrol yet again. :mad:

House is a tip, just can't keep on top of it. I just about manage to do laundry and dishes throughout the week. We also hoover the main rooms practically everyday but it would be so nice if the house looked lovely a bit more often! I have small children - it is not going to happen!

DH Car MOT day tomorrow, DS will have to have that as his day out, am sure he will be pleased with a bus ride and a walk past the fire station.

Am toying with idea of consolidating 0% CC debt onto low rate loan. Would cut our repayments in half and I don't think it extends the repayment term that much. Allows us more flexibility with my hours. Only thing is, I hate bank loans but having 0% debt doesn't bother me as much! FWIW, this loan rate is 'only' 4%. Any thoughts?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    I have a cc but only to get the points, so no use. Ed is good at that kind of stuff.
    Could you not take job and do agency?
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks Helen, the job I have interview for was advertised as fulltime but possibly only 30 hours now (not that I have even been offered it yet!) There is the option to bank to make my hours up or even have regular hours in old job. It's just juggling it really. Our nursery costs go down after Christmas.
    We basically did lots of work to the house funded by 0% cards before I decided to retrain and ended up being about £700 a month worse off between drop in pay (loss of enhancements and increased nursery costs). Plan was to repay the cards quickly. It's the CC commitment that takes all our money at the moment.

I would just feel uneasy having it as a loan rather than spread out over 0% cards I can control and be a credit card tart!!
  • CathT
    edited 11 September 2014 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Today's plan as I have a day off and have finished my training!

1) Walk the school run as I never get to walk it as usually dashing off to work afterwards.
    2) take car for MOT and buy couple of things needed in town to save bus fare and going back and to for it. PLEASE PASS!
    3) wash and dry bedding
    4) de-clutter downstairs
    5) polish, Hoover and mop
    6) prepare for tomorrow's interview

DD is dressing up as a famous person today for school, she is getting quite 'sporty' and after an initial stress of her not being able to choose and asking me to type 'famous person' in the I-pad we had a brainstorm together and she is going as Jo Pavey the athlete who won the 10k in commonwealth. I had to get a bit creative instead of just buying a costume so have made her the badge bit with sponsors, name and runner number and she can use a gold medal we bought for her birthday party bags! She seems pleased with my efforts! Hopefully also taught her that we don't just 'buy everything we need'
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best of luck for the interview tomorrow Cath
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow :) x

And jm2p, but I'd stick with 0% CC rather than a loan - aside from the fact there's no interest there's the flexibility re amount paid both up and down :D (although I'd try and set a realistic minimum payment a month if possible to see it going down without overcommitting yourselves) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    Hope interview goes well. I always psyche myself up with the belief that there is no one else in the room who will sell me, so I best do it myself and that if they don't want me, clearly they are crazy and don't deserve me.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • CathT
    Options
    lulabelle1 wrote: »
    Best of luck for the interview tomorrow Cath

Thank you, am feeling more excited than nervous. Just need to remember the buzz words!
    greent wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow :) x

And jm2p, but I'd stick with 0% CC rather than a loan - aside from the fact there's no interest there's the flexibility re amount paid both up and down :D (although I'd try and set a realistic minimum payment a month if possible to see it going down without overcommitting yourselves) xx

Thank you, have totalled up cc min payments and it's do-able. Just feel so guilty if I don't work full time and maximise earnings as the breadwinner. I have to remember I am also a mummy to two young children.
    Hope interview goes well. I always psyche myself up with the belief that there is no one else in the room who will sell me, so I best do it myself and that if they don't want me, clearly they are crazy and don't deserve me.

Thank you, that's the attitude I need to go with. Show them how much they want me working for them!
  • CathT
    Options
    Extra frugality needed. :mad:

DH wages down this week as was unwell last week. Good job he pushed himself to go back so only lost one days wage.

Car failed MOT, was a bit annoyed with DH for not noticing the fault as the mechanic said it can probably be heard when driving. I never drive DH car. :mad: Costs to get it through MOT are about £180 which is money we don't have so further into the overdraft we go. So frustrating :( his car also needs taxing this month but he has been doing a crazy amount of OT this week so good wage next week.

So, not doing a proper food shop this week including no wine. Luckily I have been gifted some bottles!!

I have £20 in my purse and it has GOT to last the week and buy everything we need!!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Forget that, concentrate on your interview - good luck :j
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback