Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi cath, I thought you had decided to stay where you are now? You are as bad as me :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I have some wine too please :)
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mmmm wine.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 June 2013 at 6:21PM
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Hi cath, I thought you had decided to stay where you are now? You are as bad as me :D

We had, it was my way of reinforcing it mentally. That said, I was on rightmove today after being quoted 10k for a porch and drive so for a fleeting moment I thought it would be easier/cheaper to move :D

Have contacted a few more companies for quotes and that will be done this week. We desperately need some repointing work so I'm hoping one of the companies will do this alongside the other work.

Had a fairly constructive day today as we have stayed home whereas we usually have a day out. Clearly the highlight of the day for the children was the Ald* shop as they both fell asleep on the way home!

Almost bought a television for the kitchen whilst out but resisted so saved ourselves quite a bit of money, albeit for now!
    June 2024 - part 1 - £28,832 part 2 - £24,400 Total - £53,233 41 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Have a few days off and plan to get lots of little jobs out of the way.

• [STRIKE]Get 2nd driveway quote [/STRIKE]
    Quote 1. £6500 Quote 2. £2700 for a nicer drive!! :j
    • [STRIKE]Get quote for some roofing/tiling work[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Arrange quote for new canopy/door as porch quote too dear![/STRIKE] Coming end of the week.
    • Get new bathroom quote
    After this will just be getting the hall/stairs/landing decorated and new stairs carpet and the house should be totally done! Got to be cheaper, less stressful than a house move ;).

I also need to arrange a balance transfer to extend a 0% deal which I will do once I get my wages this week as expecting a little extra.

Am really pleased with the way everything is going with the house at the moment :D
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey that's a massive difference :eek:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    Options
    Balance transfer done and we have reduced our WIOTW figure by around £1k this month which is great. :D

There are only 3 weeks left of school term so I have sent the final payments for DD nursery place as it won't be needed after this as she will be full time school. Wow, I finally only have one lot of childcare fees to pay! :j

After updating tax credits again to reduce childcare costs to zero (was told that the money they had said I was getting next year was for the children, not towards childcare) it looks like they have completely stopped. Wasn't told this on the phone, it's no wonder people end up getting overpaid even if they think they have given all the info they need. I'd commited this money to the mortgage so have decided to still find it from wages as it looks good on the spreadsheet!!

Had some work done on the outside of the house yesterday, some roof work and necessary repointing so it looks a lot better. Just need to decide when to have the drive done now! We are getting there - slowly.

Almost forgot - got my backpay £60 - I am sure that must be wrong!!!:(
  • frugalfrog
    frugalfrog Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tax credits can be confusing and sometimes the people you speak to on the phone don't reply understand!

How much did your repointing cost, need to get some done but don't reply know how much it would cost.
    Mtg May 2011 - £127,500/825610% CC - £2211/2211Argos Card 0% - £253.95/208.95
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Nearly below 100k :j:j:jh
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • CathT
    Options
    frugalfrog wrote: »
    Tax credits can be confusing and sometimes the people you speak to on the phone don't reply understand!

How much did your repointing cost, need to get some done but don't reply know how much it would cost.

I agree, he was adamant it wouldn't be affected by childcare and dissuaded me from altering costs but I'm glad I did.

We had the repointing done in with some fascia and roof work but they didn't really add anything on. We did however have the whole front of our previous house done (2 bed terrrace) and that was £200 as the builder just charged for 2 days labour as the cost of cement is barely anything. I suppose it depends if you would need scaffolding for the job aswell as that would bump up cost.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Nearly below 100k :j:j:jh

Yes, almost!! Roll on September and my 5 figure mortgage. If that's an incentive to not move I'm not sure anything else would work! :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure